Launcher now won't start

jpjtyld

As the title says, the Ren X launcher now won't start. This happened after recently restarting my PC. Whenever I try to open it, Windows 10 takes me to the "Are you sure you want to open this app?" screen. When I click yes it just goes back to the desktop as if I never tried anything in the first place. Deleting and re-installing the launcher does not fix this problem. This has also happened to a launcher for another game which eventually resolved itself in a few weeks. Would there be anyway to fix this problem manually or do I just have to wait it out again?

Well it's possible AVG could be having a tantrum and stopping it from loading, wouldn't be the first time it's done that. I'll see what disabling it does.

EDIT: It's not AVG, disabling it doesn't have any effect.

I use Win10 and i don't have any problems with the launcher. Like Cudaker was saying, it sound like a third party program is shuting it off. You can try to track it down by using windows event viewer, to do that in Search Windows type event viewer press enter, go to Windows Logs-Application.

Ok so I went to the windows logs like you said, and whenever I start the launcher it records an error with this information:

Faulting application name: Renegade X Launcher.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x550f5ff5

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.494, time stamp: 0x5775e4c5

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000000000071f28

Faulting process id: 0x2150

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1f2453ab87385

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\Launcher\Renegade X Launcher.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 8f122f01-92ef-4812-abd9-8245b3dee88a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Would this mean anything to anyone here?

Ok so I went to the windows logs like you said, and whenever I start the launcher it records an error with this information:

Faulting application name: Renegade X Launcher.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x550f5ff5

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.494, time stamp: 0x5775e4c5

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000000000071f28

Faulting process id: 0x2150

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1f2453ab87385

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Renegade X\Launcher\Renegade X Launcher.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 8f122f01-92ef-4812-abd9-8245b3dee88a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Would this mean anything to anyone here?

The error it generates is one of the most general errors the .net framework can give... So no help from this.

Could you try and reinstall/repair the .net framework 4.5?

And maybe try to install it on a different place then program files, might help (but technically it shouldn't make a difference)

Trying to repair the framework didn't seem to do anything, and when I try to reinstall it it says that I already have 4.6.1 or later installed, even after using something that was supposed to wipe all trace of the framework from the computer. I honestly have no idea what else could be causing it now. Has anybody else had something like this happen to them?

Unfortunately I already tried doing that at least a couple of times to no effect.

EDIT: Checking task manager I'm seeing 3 processes come up whenever I try to start the launcher, all named "COM Surrogate." They all linger for 4 seconds after the launcher vanishes from the task manager. Is this something that always appears along with the launcher or could it be a possible cause?