5.2 Feedback

Glacious

Keep a glitchy, broken version as a joke. Make "Goat Simulator", but as RenX if you get my meaning.

Yes... a joke... hahahah... it should be working later though...

I'm being deadly serious, there's way too many serious games out there. I've never had more fun on RenX than figuring out how to mess with the mine glitch (other than that time I made a 3-tiered GDI APC monstrosity on Field) :)

First day of playing 5.2 done! Veterancy so far looks like the biggest step forward for renx in a very long time. Everybody feels like they have something to work towards other than blowing up the enemy base, and that itself gives everything you do so much more meaning and satisfaction. The feeling of taking part of an elite/veteran rush against a bunch of camping recruits with their last couple of buildings and smashing everything is absolutely brilliant.

I think capturing tech buildings should reward team-wide VP w/ a cooldown, so there's a little more incentive to run out with engineers at the start of the game. Cooldown applies to both teams when captured, so whoever captures the tech building first gets the bonus. This should probably be adjusted for maps with multiple tech structures.

As for balance, I have to say nothing stands out as horrifyingly broken. Might have to give it another day for me to perhaps suggest a thing or two.

Even with the bugs, we're off to a good start. I haven't had time to extensively test the new patch as of yet but from what I have experienced it's been pretty fun. I added a macro so crouch every 20 milliseconds when a mine was under my feet and you feel like a rocket.

My only concern is the communications centre, it's mechanics are insane. To see every player on the map is a bit too much - it encourages players to stay in base and defend knowing that they can catch someone off guard. Perhaps give it a large radius but certainly not the entire map.

Another issue is sneaking, I thought that there would be something new in place to prevent this or slow it down. Sure the communications centre does help but it's only online for one team and I don't feel that this is the right way to counter attack sneaking. I would like to suggest that mines can no longer be defused with repair guns and only emps.

• Totem Arts Staff
I would like to be able to see what ranks the people on my team are with Tab.

My framerates are also significantly lower than on the previous version, is this because of the mines & minefix?

May add that.

--------------------------

I've had the complete opposite effect... weird. Would definitely check your settings, especially the PhysX one, as that one's been giving people who use it issues... and others performance increases. It's iffy, but it works for me anyway. Also the D3D9 MSAA box.

First time posting here. I have played the original Renegade and Renegade X for some time, but never registered on these forums. Here is my feedback and comments on the general nature of Renegade X and not necessarily the patch specifically after the first day of playing. Bugs and glitches that I've encountered will be posted in the other topic.

Feedback

1: Arctic Stronghold is a beautiful map with lots of different routes and while I love the map, I think the Infantry Arena and Inf Path is a little too long. Battles on the Bridge and for the EMP are fun, alongside the Harvester Wars and the flanking opportunities, but with so much going on, I don't think the Infantry battleground will see much action for its size. Otherwise, the map is amazing. I'm sure it will become more fun to play as players learn the map and its mechanics.

2: Veteran - While I'm probably never gonna see Heroic status due to my lack of aiming skills and leaning more towards a support or suicidal role, I enjoy the Veteran system. There's not much else to add.

3: Mendoza - I read he got a buff, and some players were calling him OP in the games I played. Whether that is actually the case or players need time to adapt remains to be seen.

4: Field - While I did not get the chance to play the new Field properly yet, I can say that I like the design of the "Expanded" Field, with the new power plant, tunnel routes, and flanking route outside the main Field itself. The Comm Center is also a neat idea.

As for comments about the Comm Center, if it is overpowered, perhaps make it like the EMP on Arctic Stronghold? Activate the Comm Center to gain full radar for a period of time, but then it needs to recharge before activating again. This way, the Comm Center still pinpoints enemies, but is not always on and requires someone to activate it every now and then when required. Alternatively, have it cycle automatically between being on and off.

6: Light Tank Sprint - I can turn while sprinting! A small change, but I enjoy it when I roll out in a Light Tank, especially since it feels more maneuverable than before.

7: "Big Map" - I love this feature. This is especially helpful when trying to navigate new maps as well as figure out where your team mates are, battle lines, etc. It is a shame that Eyes does not have this implemented, and Crash Site's map is a too dark to properly read.

8: Loading Screen Tips - This is useful for new players, but would it be possible to also manually cycle through tips on the Loading Screen? I know in Natural Selection 2 they do this, especially since loading times can be a bit long in that game. This way, players can read a variety of tips while they wait.

9: Tomb - Tomb seems good and fun from what I've played. Little did I know there was a bottom vehicle route on the map...

10: Under - GDI Backdoor path (from mid) is difficult to see as there are trees present and it looks more like a cliff than passable terrain. Nod's backdoor is easy due to the pipeline and convenient dirt path pointing towards it.

Comments

1: Seeing a Laser Chaingunner stare down a Mammoth Tank is hilarious to me for some reason. Then, of course, an APC comes on by and kills the gunner. Poor guy.

Overall, bugs aside, the patch is good after first day impressions! I'm enjoying Renegade X quite a bit, so keep up the good work!

7: "Big Map" - I love this feature. This is especially helpful when trying to navigate new maps as well as figure out where your team mates are, battle lines, etc. It is a shame that Eyes does not have this implemented, and Crash Site's map is a too dark to properly read.

Actually, Eyes is being used to make a more functional map, Glasses, which WILL have a minimap...

• Totem Arts Staff

CNC-GobiRedux

Needs a lot of more work. The map layout is very basic with some tiberium and some buildings. The background is very very very crappy and you still see the landscape. To developer of Gobi: Open Walls or Canyon and get some ideas how to optimize the map. And the rocks are very very sharp, try to optimize it something more with LOD's.

CNC-GobiRedux

Needs a lot of more work. The map layout is very basic with some tiberium and some buildings. The background is very very very crappy and you still see the landscape. To developer of Gobi: Open Walls or Canyon and get some ideas how to optimize the map. And the rocks are very very sharp, try to optimize it something more with LOD's.

You sound pissed off.

In this beta you cannot press up in (team)chat to get your old message back to edit it, was usefull for rushes cause now I have to type the phrases 12 times entirely before one persons sees it....

Edit: found a way by using tilde and TeamSay.

About veterancy:

While I like the idea I also ran into a downside immediatly. I am either organizing rushes, sneaking (if you kill a building you get rewarded) or busy with repairing / base defense. I can understand the first part doesn't grant you veterancy. But on the new Field I've been running around between buildings FOREVER cause I was the only one caring. From minute one I did this, besides some rushes, while we NEVER received one harvester. Meanwhile I didn't gain any veterancy and I had no clue what the entire team was doing.

By the time we played 20 minutes GDI had such a strong hold on the Field and veterancy and there was nothing I could do. Sneaking also didn't work cause when you control the communication building it's all it takes.

Infact I feel veterancy punishes you for defending (even more while ppl overmine). While i get it's made to stimulate offensive gameplay, it shouldn't overly punish defending (mining and stuff). Guess that's different for camping with a vehicle in base at all...

If I didn't defend we'dd lost at once, but still we lost as soon as the enemy gained veterancy points enough while I didn't get one cause defending isn't rewarding enough.

I have no clue how to change this, but infact pointless (imo) sniping with 5 ppl is more rewarding than actually caring about the core principals about the game.

I hope my opinion isn't too harsh. I like the fact that tankbattles back and forth aren't pointless anymore and I like the way veterancy changes your vehicles and characters. It's just the fact that being solo and not caring about teamwork grants you more progress than being a good and loyal player.

Edited by Guest

In the past beta you would be able to sneak to the PP on Mesa (if playing GDI against Nod) without triggering the obelisk twice and if you were lucky not once at all. Now it is impossible. I know the base defences have been adjusted, but I renember you still could before the last 2 changes to them.

Also add the fact that it's possible to place mines in the small corridor towards PP 'under ground' it has become harder to infiltrate on this map as GDI.

Edited by Guest

Another thing: obelisk shoots while still charging and doesn't always have an animation for me... Got killed many times when the sound was 'still charging' and I died by obelisk without any fire animation.

Guess maybe more bug related?

• Totem Arts Staff
In the past beta you would be able to sneak to the PP on Mesa (if playing GDI against Nod) without triggering the obelisk twice and if you were lucky not once at all. Now it is impossible.

Also add the fact that it's possible to place mines in the small corridor to PP 'under ground' it has become harder to infiltrate on this map.

@Ob/AGT this is intentional, the old beta broke the advanced defences, this one fixed them.

@mines in Small corridor, I suspect I know where you mean, can you grab a screenshot for them.

In the past beta you would be able to sneak to the PP on Mesa (if playing GDI against Nod) without triggering the obelisk twice and if you were lucky not once at all. Now it is impossible.

Also add the fact that it's possible to place mines in the small corridor to PP 'under ground' it has become harder to infiltrate on this map.

@Ob/AGT this is intentional, the old beta broke the advanced defences, this one fixed them.

@mines in Small corridor, I suspect I know where you mean, can you grab a screenshot for them.

I was still editing my post. Will make a screenshot when I run into it once. Plz note that (or maybe I renember wrong) that before the previous changes you could also sneak there without triggering the oby twice.

• Totem Arts Staff
Another thing: obelisk shoots while still charging and doesn't always have an animation for me... Got killed many times when the sound was 'still charging' and I died by obelisk without any fire animation.

This sounds client side issue, although the OB does sound different, could be that you have the got the timing quite perfect?

• Totem Arts Staff

I was still editing my post. Will make a screenshot when I run into it once. Plz note that (or maybe I renember wrong) that before the previous changes you could also sneak there without triggering the oby twice.

Yeah. The obelisk was much worse at detecting people in the old beta.

Probably increase the VP rate of both vehicle and infantry repair. In my 30+ games played so far I have yet to witness a single person go heroic. Field repairmen usually fall behind, even moreso than the defenders.

For balance, I have no real huge complaints besides ranked up stanks not proportionally doing the damage they're supposed to do to armor and inf with meds. Their building damage is fine. MRLS should also receive the same buff to whatever goes to the stank, if they also don't have any damage increase (didn't test it)

Gunner I think should have 225 flak armor (375 at heroic) with 95 speed. GDI lacks a damage soaker when it comes to inf vs vehicles, and all nod inf pretty much wreck gunner even with the extra health

This sounds client side issue, although the OB does sound different, could be that you have the got the timing quite perfect?

I heard more people complain about it, but I am not sure if it's server or client side.

I would like to be able to see what ranks the people on my team are with Tab.

May add that.

Please, this would help a lot, especially for commanders. Actually, it would also be nice to see the ranks of the enemy team - it's not like it's a secret, you see them in the game anyway. But being able to compare the ranks of both teams would help to see the progress of each & calculate the odds of winning.

I heard more people complain about it, but I am not sure if it's server or client side.

Never happened to me.

I think swapping the tab score menu with the M map menu would help a lot. Both show building health, which is the most important part of tabbing next to showing the team scores. Couple of examples: would also help a lot in quickly checking your harvester's position so it doesn't run you over when on the defensive, and knowing your where your friendlies are when hunting so you don't accidentally blow somebody's sneak attempt and can set up distractions whenever appropriate.

My feedback on the new/updated maps!

Crash Site my rating: 5/10

It is better than the previous version. I like how orcas were removed and the new design of the GDI base & addition of base defences. The biggest problem right now is that the map is advantageous to GDI. Guard towers >> turrets and GTs block off GDI base almost completely (only GDI ref is vulnerable to techs, also barracks but that one's extremely hard), while turrets are almost useless against infantry. Also, even though orcas were removed and there's no reason for ramps to buildings, they still are there, which also benefits GDI since HoN and airstrip are especially exposed to hotwires. All games I've played so far on the new map (I think 4) were won by GDI and all decided by sneaky hotwires. That's because of the choke points in front of each base, which makes it difficult to do anything with tanks. So solo sneaking is very effective.

There's also still a couple glitches/places where you can get stuck, I can post them elsewhere.

Arctic Stronghold 3/10

This map has potential, but still a lot of room for improvement and as it is now I don't like it.

The vehicle area isn't designed very well. The lower level is big, but tanks don't really go there since there's nothing worthwhile down. Harvesters and the EMP cannon are on the higher level, and this is where all the tanks concentrate, which makes this map very tight for vehicles.

The infantry path is long, pretty straight forward and you can only infiltrate the refineries. Which means 1 person camping can deny all sneaking attempts by the enemy team. Plus, that 1 camper will also block all players that would try to infiltrate enemy base while their base defences are offline.

Finally, the EMP cannon... this thing is so bad I don't know where to start. After playing like 7 games, I still can't fully figure out how it works. 1) how to fire it? even when the light is green, I keep spamming E and it won't fire. does it fire automatically when charged? 2) how does the charging time work? is it independent or team-individual, as in, do you have to wait every time your team captures or not? 3) i'd love to see which team controls it so that during message 'base defences offline' I know which team's base defences....

Also, I feel like this map doesn't go well with the EMP cannon. There's only 2 entrances to each bases (one for vehicles and one for infantry), so even when the base defences are off, you can't really sneak in the enemy base unnoticed. The base defences are only off for 30 seconds, which means you can't reach buildings that are far away like the Power Plants or HoN. The only thing you can do is rush in for the AGT/ob... which doesn't have the suprise element at all and 9 out of 10 times it leads to losing your tanks.

As a result, the map is decided by campers and better tankers. Thanks to veterancy, the team with better tankers will usually win within ~40 minutes. I can only imagine how much of a campfest this would be in the previous patch, without veterancy.

Tomb 9/10

Honestly, the new Tomb is the best map in Renegade X right now imo. It's balanced, interesting (a lot of tactics work, a lot of units are useful), no glitchy/ugly spots (or maybe I just didnt find any bug yet :P), there's no silly choke point that you can camp like on most maps, 2 vehicle entrances to each base... beautiful. Well done Thommy.

Gobi 2/10

Terrible. It's ridiculously small, basically allowing b2b. There's no tactic that would work except for mass tanks and kill enemy harvester and the vehicle area is very boring. The team with better tankers always wins. As GDI you can't sneak in, as Nod only with SBH and stank and only if you're really lucky. Should be removed from rotation if you ask me.

Field 6/10

Sooo much better than the old Field. The problem is the extremely powerful communication center that lets your team fully control the game. This map is now purely about controlling the vehicle area and the CC. No more fun tunnel rushes, since they won't work if you don't have the CC. Better tankers & better organized team will win this map, but since the vehicle area is nice and more balanced now, I don't mind it as much.

Fort

Only played like 2 games so far, can't say much. I like how both bases are spread out, can be interesting. But I don't like the choke point at the entrance of each base, can be easily camped. I won't rate it for now, need to play more.

Edited by Guest

Biggest drawback for both whiteout and field is the communications center, and since the beginning I've always been skeptical about gaining the ability to see every single enemy unit's position whenever and wherever. You can't pull off any coordinated rush against a team with the comm because they'll just spot you grouping up and running out with the overview map. This means you can't pull off any kind of surprise rush through the tunnel or alternate vehicle path when your base is under siege from the field. You can't sneak whatsoever. It's so powerful in gaining and controlling the field, as it gives you the power to know exactly what the other team is planning and doing.

What the communications center should do is only show enemy units on your compass map, and whatever's on your compass map will be shared to your whole team's overview map, and same applies to everybody else on the team. Either this, or make it so enemy units inside their base perimeter won't show up.

How about just make things automatically radar if they cross your cursor? Make things stay on radar for longer after being spotted? Make everything in THEIR base show on radar, but not your own?

It definitely seems like the most OP thing about it, is having full radar of your base, and their base. It makes it completely sneak-resistant AND massively multiplies sneak by preventing random enemy encounters. It needs to do one or the other or neither at all and just something entirely different.

How about a fog of war mechanic. Show everything that is on people's radar like Jeff said (better: within a set radius, because the radar image scale can be different for each map), and give the rest of the map this fog of war.

I don't know how difficult it is to implement this but it would fit with the C&C theme.

Field : That extra tunnel Make even more difficult for GDI to defend the base as you been shot by all sides .

ITs kind of interesting layout but when you try to defend the GDI entrance and you have that xtra offensive shooting in your back (PP side) its :/

True, that's because field is already a gdi biased map. Nod could use additional infantry oppurtunites to counteract GDI's superior field control.

hi, wtf? nothing works??? i start my 5.116 version out of date= click the download button= Page not exist oO.

i try to download about Launcher, stops everytime oO. nothing works.

i download client: intallation too quick ready nothing happend... oO

i download Rx_SDK_4JAN2016. dont understand it starting only version 5.100 ... Oo

i installed STEAM: create ACC: No Renegade X on Steam OO

the download links to patches: 5.13 + 5.14 + 5.16 not exists oO no idea from here now.

If you downloaded this the MSI here:

http://renegade-x.com/download.php

Just run it and once down start the (new) launcher and it will update the game!

I start: the Official Client Download: 1st. "Change option" desabled, 2nd. "Repair Option nothing happens, 3rd "Remove Option" didnt tried.

Im too old 4 this stuff oO

Nod TS Buggy:

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the TSR design for the Nod TS Buggy, I liked the design you folks initially used because it looked like the Nod buggy from the original Tiberian Sun, not the one you'd see in a cinematic, but the one you'd actually see in game. It just was more visually appealing to me.

Nod Tick Tank:

Will there ever be a way to use the Minigun on the Tick Tank? It's there, I kinda figure we should be able to use it. It would be a great tactical thing honestly.

• Agent unpinned this topic