Unreleased maps and their status

Ryz

20 minutes ago, Ryz said:

I know about this server, but it would be handier to have a regular timeslot and some more people involved to test the maps. 

then make some schedule suggestions ;)

Try got no account here but hes reading the forums regularly. And: everyone is welcome to join the Test Server anytime. Just respect the general rules of decency and don't try to fuck up the testings.

About more (testing) people. Well, actually it doesn't matter how many players are testing. Testings could be done faster and ofc 12 eyes see more than just four, but that depends on your testing pattern.

Most players just walk around new maps reporting everything they happen to stumble upon, while e.g. Try has a experienced MO. Also you should know some basic stuff about vehicle physics, mapping material [e.g. basalt rocks], collisions etc.

Sorry, accidentally closed this topic before answering.

Contacted numerous map makers this summer to organize the sessions, and also some CT people did, but it never really worked out. A regular timeslot would be great. It was for a few times before the PUG, but I cannot make it at that time (not that it matters if I am there, but just for your info). Maybe time for @DaKuja, @Henk, @TK0104, @Ruud033@Madkill40, @Schmitzenbergh, @Fffreak9999,  @DoctorAnubis@Xtractor, @Handepsilon, @Zephyr, @kenz3001 and some others I forgot to try to pick another moment? I know timezones will be difficult, but I think it will really help out the community. Maps can be tested with more than 4 players and people can give feedback + advice so the knowledge within the community gets spread better.

So guys: any idea for a good timeslot?

Edited by Ryz

Yeah pre-PUG would be nice, have 1 map to test, and have the version that needs to be tested be downloadable the whole week, so everybody gets the chance to download it. No new versions once every 2 days please..

Maybe then we can have good gameplay tests, with something like a 10 vs 10. 15 minute round of exploring the map, getting to know the layout, followed by a serious match.

@DarkSn4ke & Try-Out are doing an excellent job finding bugs on the try-out server, i'm very grateful for that. But yeah bigger games to actually see how the games will play out on the map would be nice too.

• Like 1

Sunday, before the Sunday PUG?

Maybe?

If people take part in this they have to have the map already, none of the "How does I do dat install map foil?" over TeamSpeak. *cough* Tony *cough*

Two hours before the Sunday PUG and it only goes ahead if 10 or more people have signed up for that particular Sunday to test the map(s). 

14 hours ago, Henk said:

& Try-Out are doing an excellent job finding bugs on the try-out server, i'm very grateful for that. But yeah bigger games to actually see how the games will play out on the map would be nice too.

Thank you :)

14 hours ago, Henk said:

Maybe then we can have good gameplay tests, with something like a 10 vs 10. 15 minute round of exploring the map, getting to know the layout, followed by a serious match.

Gameplay tests are something testers (or at least the few RenX ones) can't do. But a single game is most likely not sufficient. If you (we - the community) want to do a gameplay test before a map gets added with an official patch there is -in my opinion - just one solution: PUGs.

PUGs are the ideal environment to do gameplay tests on new maps - if the PUG organisers & the participating players are willing to do that. xD

e.g. at the moment Ruuds / Schmitz new project Storm looks awesome. But all we can say about possible gameplay is pure speculation. So what could the PUG organisers do [given the map is in a release state, maybe ~98% done + if Ruud/Schmitz want that!]? - add the map as a warmup map so players can take a look into it. maybe  2 weeks as warmup, then do a serious match. Commanders & players can write a feedback / review. that's it.

@Ryz oh I guess you want to organise gameplay tests, right? Try and me discussed your efforts to elate more players for map testing. For gameplay tests you need a lot of players. ok. for bug / glitch tests.... let's say the less the better. To find a usable map exploit / glitch you need a lot of patience & some experience with the basic game/mapping mechanics & the will to spend hours n hours doing weird things on the same map (different version) over and over again :D.

Our GIFs [see Tunnels or Snow report] look quite funny. yeah, but that's only one small aspect of testing maps. If there's ever an occasion that 10 players join the T.O. server to observe a test session, 8/10 would call us crazy. 1 would just laugh and the other would help.

And we don't want to "educate" anyone in glitching (or certain techniques) :/ [but as mentioned earlier: anyone is welcome to join the test sessions xD]

Edited by DarkSn4ke

@DarkSn4ke I was reffering to gameplay test when i mentioned 'testing session,' my bad!
@Fffreak9999 Or whoever is hosting the PUG. Can you make it so the server starts with a new map before the PUG?
@Madkill40 If more players can on sunday, it is fine by me, I won't be there most likely cause the weekend is usually packed for me!

February 

5th, 12th, 19th, 26th.

To anybody interested that would also be available on any of these Sunday dates please put your name forward for whichever date you will be available for map testing, please leave your response regarding your availability in BOLD. [Like I have done below]

If 10 or more people are available for at least one of these dates then that will be the chosen date for this playtest.

I am available on the 12th, 19th and 26th.

I will update this list below as people post their availability..

Availability for Testing.

5th:

• Henk
  • Hohndo
  • DarkSn4ke

12th:

• Madkill
  • Henk
  • Hohndo

19th:

• Madkill
  • Henk
  • Hohndo

26th:

• Madkill
  • Hohndo
Edited by Madkill40

As I can't foresee all the dates, I'll only say:

I'm available on the 5th.

Chose an upcoming custom map a.s.a.p., so Try and me (or anyone else? ;)) can do another bug session and if there's anything crucial left the mapper might be able to release a hotfix until then.

My suggestions are: Frostbite Redux or Sand [they are both WIP but the mappers are active and working on these maps].

I would not pick Paradise or Hourglass, as DeadlyWolf & Dr.Anubis seem to be inactive. [also I'm not sure if the PUG community is willing to test a design map like Paradise].

Frostbite Redux: [created by @Madkill40]

It's been a long time since I last loaded this map. I've downloaded the latest version, but I didn't test it yet - sorry! @Madkill40 maybe Try took a look into the latest version.

But as you announced that you fixed all reported collision issues the current version should be ready for a gameplay test. What do you think Mad?

For the others: just read the map topic / take a look at the screens / download & test the map. It's an

On 14.9.2016 at 4:39 AM, Madkill40 said:

-Bite'tee

-Icy

map ;)featuring a spaceship. (not sure if there was a fly-by sequence)

Sand: [created by @IllumZar]

Re-make of the original fan-made-map Sand [C&C Renegade]. The map is WIP, it's missing some details as more deco, but there are no glitches except from some glitchy nuke spots [Illum knows about 'em and will fix them anyway]. Nevertheless the map is already ready for a gameplay test! Oh - it's featuring a tiberium blossom tree :D

@IllumZar I've got a report for you.... been too busy & lazy to send it though xD [Try told me like 1 million times: Illum knows about that... but I found something :D]

What do you - @IllumZar - think about a gameplay test with the current version / maybe an updated version until this weekend / the other remaining February weekends?

#######################################

And what do the testing volunteers think about the maps? :P@Henk maybe you have another suggestion? ;)

Edited by DarkSn4ke

I tested the latest version on the CTCM server and it is certainly an enjoyable and playable version, I am sure Try and yourself ( @DarkSn4ke ) will find areas to climb to that are not intended and hopefully those are the only kinds of issues I can expect.

The bots certainly had an enjoyable time, harvesters didn't bug or glitch once, there are numerous accesses to both bases for both infantry and vehicles, the Obelisk has never been so scary and the AGT has never before been so effective :P , spots for MRLS and Arty's to fire from towards the bases is limited but easily accessible to be countered by enemy vehicles and especially infantry. Infiltration of either base is very possible, as always for Nod you must kill at least one GT to get access to the GDI PP meanwhile GDI have a long way to go to access the Nod PP and you will definitely need a Hotwire for the job. ;) [Because the engineer's repair gun's range is too short for what dastardly trickery I have pulled in this map]

Before the majority of the final touches are applied [Environmental decorations & Weather] it would be good to have a decently sized playtest to see if there are any crucial balance issues that need to be sorted, I worry that this map may favour Nod more than GDI but the real strength of this map for either team are the AGT and the Obelisk so PowerPlant's are quite crucial for success. I can think, analyze and be critical all I want but all I have are theories of how the map can play out. 

Gameplay test is a yesyesyes. :D 

45 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

I am sure Try and yourself ( @DarkSn4ke ) will find areas to climb to that are not intended and hopefully those are the only kinds of issues I can expect.

maybe... but I hope not. too many unsorted & unpublished screens in my folder (which I wiped ~3 weeks ago?) ;) and as long as such spots are "worthless" for potential cheaters well..

48 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

spots for MRLS and Arty's to fire from towards the bases is limited but easily accessible to be countered by enemy vehicles and especially infantry. Infiltration of either base is very possible, as always for Nod you must kill at least one GT to get access to the GDI PP meanwhile GDI have a long way to go to access the Nod PP and you will definitely need a Hotwire for the job. ;) [Because the engineer's repair gun's range is too short for what dastardly trickery I have pulled in this map]

the trickery sounds good, as long as a single hottie can open the door? otherwise solo sneakers will whine about damn bad-ass Madkill xD

I hope this map gets a chance. You've learned from your Frostbite mistakes (map arrangement in general & extremely steep terrain) so there is no reason for anyone to NOT enjoy it. If they can't enjoy this, they probably never ever downloaded it once :P

53 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

Gameplay test is a yesyesyes. :D 

good :)

14 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

Before we start anything we need to see if there's enough people actually interested to make this an event

now we need to inspire more players to join the tests (and to "sign in" here..!)

Anyone that may have tested the much older version of Frostbite is in for a surprise, the map has changed drastically indeed. :)

Here's the list so far:

Availability for Testing.

5th:

• Henk
  • Hohndo
  • DarkSn4ke
  • Illumzar

12th:

• Madkill
  • Henk
  • Hohndo
  • Luhrian
  • Illumzar

19th:

• Madkill
  • Henk
  • Hohndo
  • Luhrian
  • Illumzar

26th:

• Madkill
  • Hohndo
  • Luhrian
  • Illumzar

C'mon folks! Sign up, sign up, sign up! For Chicken Kickin- I mean, Custom Map Playtesting!

Edited by Madkill40
  • Like 2

Hey guys!

sorry for the late reply :P

The idea of an organized gameplay testing session sounds awesome! Hope we get enough players.

Write me in for all dates! Let's say I'll be to 90% there (depends on flight school)...

I would !suggest Frostbite for the first playtest because it's imo the most advanced and ready2go map currently on the list ;)

As for Sand; future versions will still need some server testing (mainly because of the horribly disfigured BuildingInterface)

Spoiler

err1.png.1ea2ce1bf98fe7e425adcbd469a4a3f7.png

So I don't know if i can squeeze out a new version before this weekend -> maybe test it on another session? :D

Last not least I'd like to !rec @DarkSn4ke & @Try-Out for the awesome work their doing ;)

And also to @Ryz for constantly keeping the topic updated.

Edited by IllumZar
Oops changed a phrase (Bad english)^^

4 minutes ago, Xtractor said:

You asked like it was something different from the usual warm up map..im sure All will joined in what ever warm up map it is 

Frostbite is not an official map. People can easily download it via Launcher, but some got problems with that.

So I can understand that freak/jeff don't want to add the map as warmup yet if there are only 4 player volunteering for testings.

And a 4-players gameplay test is... useless.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

Frostbite is not an official map. People can easily download it via Launcher, but some got problems with that.

So I can understand that freak/jeff don't want to add the map as warmup yet if there are only 4 player volunteering for testings.

And a 4-players gameplay test is... useless.

I really like this idea, let's so this

On 2/5/2017 at 6:11 PM, Xtractor said:

You asked like it was something different from the usual warm up map..im sure All will joined in what ever warm up map it is 

I tried this once before and it was a bit of a headache and it is also unfair to throw it on people. 

In hindsight people who take part in the Sunday PUG could quite easily sign-up to the CMG (Custom Map Game) if they have a spare 90 minutes before the Sunday PUG takes place.

Just to make this more official and for more clarity please refer to:

On 02/02/2017 at 8:49 AM, DarkSn4ke said:

As I can't foresee all the dates, I'll only say:

I'm available on the 5th.

Chose an upcoming custom map a.s.a.p., so Try and me (or anyone else? ;)) can do another bug session and if there's anything crucial left the mapper might be able to release a hotfix until then.

My suggestions are: Frostbite Redux or Sand [they are both WIP but the mappers are active and working on these maps].

I would not pick Paradise or Hourglass, as DeadlyWolf & Dr.Anubis seem to be inactive. [also I'm not sure if the PUG community is willing to test a design map like Paradise].

Frostbite Redux: [created by @Madkill40]

It's been a long time since I last loaded this map. I've downloaded the latest version, but I didn't test it yet - sorry! @Madkill40 maybe Try took a look into the latest version.

But as you announced that you fixed all reported collision issues the current version should be ready for a gameplay test. What do you think Mad?

For the others: just read the map topic / take a look at the screens / download & test the map. It's an

map ;)featuring a spaceship. (not sure if there was a fly-by sequence)

Sand: [created by @IllumZar]

Re-make of the original fan-made-map Sand [C&C Renegade]. The map is WIP, it's missing some details as more deco, but there are no glitches except from some glitchy nuke spots [Illum knows about 'em and will fix them anyway]. Nevertheless the map is already ready for a gameplay test! Oh - it's featuring a tiberium blossom tree :D

@IllumZar I've got a report for you.... been too busy & lazy to send it though xD [Try told me like 1 million times: Illum knows about that... but I found something :D]

What do you - @IllumZar - think about a gameplay test with the current version / maybe an updated version until this weekend / the other remaining February weekends?

#######################################

And what do the testing volunteers think about the maps? :P@Henk maybe you have another suggestion? ;)

What is wrong with Paradise. I designed it with 20vs20 in mind?

In the Summer, I will be finished with College, so I can brush up the core bugs and remove anything stopping it from a release.

Edited by DoctorAnubis

I like Paradise @DoctorAnubis, but I never checked it with more than 3 people so I am really not sure how it would turnout in multiplayer. I guess one of the issues with the map is the (non-working) turrets. Sides by that I am not sure what the criteria are to have a map added as an official map, or just be released as a non-official. Maybe @Fffreak9999 and @yosh56 can explain this?

An unofficial release is simple, it just requires a server owner to put it on the server, and the autodownloader be updated to the latest version to enable people to download it automatically.

For an official release, the Devs need to include it into a patch which is only done after sufficient playtesting and balancing issues are sorted.

6 minutes ago, Fffreak9999 said:

For an official release, the Devs need to include it into a patch which is only done after sufficient playtesting and balancing issues are sorted.

This. If you think your map meets this standard, you can harass @yosh56 to include it in the next patch or harass someone else ( @Ruud033, @Henk, @Havoc89, anybody but me) to harass @yosh56 for you.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 6:56 PM, Agent said:

This. If you think your map meets this standard, you can harass @yosh56 to include it in the next patch or harass someone else ( @Ruud033, @Henk, @Havoc89, anybody but me) to harass @yosh56 for you.

...so what happened to the last guy that harassed you to harass yosh for them?

Edited by Hohndo

On 14-2-2017 at 1:48 AM, Fffreak9999 said:

An unofficial release is simple, it just requires a server owner to put it on the server, and the autodownloader be updated to the latest version to enable people to download it automatically.

Thx Freak! So we need more playtests, too bad I am usually not available during the desired test moments...,