Take away 'protection' message when server is not protected

Ryz

Since the DDOS has started again since the beginning of the week (or maybe earlier, but I didn't notice) I see people populating a server. When i join occasionally to check there is a small group of players that either ragequits cause the games are single sided, or the server grows and it gets hit and goes offline. Only to have a smaller amount of people move to another server, and again, and again... Till by the time I am about to start playing nobody is left. I am sure this goes for more people.

What I noticed that people usually first go CT (cause it says its protected, which it isn't atm) and than to another server they favor, but in first instance they never join the (afaik) only protected server which is hosted by MPForums.

We cannot force people to go to a protected server, but having a server which says it's protected while it isn't, doesn't help. I would suggest CT removes the 'DDOS protected' message for now so people who don't know the situation, are not in the false assumption this server is safe. I realize no server will ever be 100% safe, but I think it's the best for the playerbase if they know where the best place is to go... This only breaks down the playerbase.

I tried to convince some players today (after they joined a second server cause CT went down) and I just got stuff back like 'we don't care', 'you are talking bullshit', and more reactions without anything facts based.' Being clear to the playerbase, also here, would help.

Any second thoughts about this?

• Totem Arts Staff
DDOS protected =/= DDOS proof

Sorry I don't get what you mean by that?

Either way, MPF hasnt' been taken down due to the attacks yet, I've watched the server as much as I can. Even at work (plz don't tell my boss)

Just scream lag or ddos ingame if its under attack and i'll see and filter those attacks.

DDOS protected =/= DDOS proof

Explain yourself? Might be my lack of languages skills in English, but I don't get it...

Nothing is 100% DDOS proof, as you may know. DDOS protected for me means that someone is doing his / hers utmost to protect the server. I can't do it, nor I am forcing people to do so, but we should encourage and promote people who try!

Guest Gliven

when someone writes (=/=) this means 1 thing doesn't equal another. 1 =/= 2

So what Zephyr was saying. " DDOS protected =/= DDOS proof " this means DDOS does not equal DDOS proof.

My thoughts on this? I see this thread as unnecessary.

Both servers are protected so they both should keep their "protected" mark in the name.

Also, players are free to pick to play on whatever servers they want and they will do so. Even if youd remove the "ddos protected" mark...youd still see people playing on a different server than the MP one or w/e server you consider is good playing on.

Honestly, id say lets stop with this thread. I mean no offense, but if i was to host a server on which id try to setup ddos protection in the free time that I have and I would see this kind of thread...I would get bummed and rather unappreciated. That is something you do want to avoid in a community where the regulars can be pretty much counted on the fingers.

Kudos to Cronus for doing what he is doing , that is to be appreciated but do not forget that Bong also works on it (in the free time that he has) and he is also guiding other server owners to make their own protection.

- Just my two cents so take it with a grain of salt.

First of all: I am not blaming B0NG, can't judge about how he spends his time and he allready did a lot for the Ren-X community, but afaik 'his' server doesn't have protection now. It's a shame it fills up to 2/3rd only to get attacked in which we lose 1/3rd of the players cause they do not make it to another server. That's why I am posting this...

Can someone close this topic?

• Totem Arts Staff
My thoughts on this? I see this thread as unnecessary.

Both servers are protected so they both should keep their "protected" mark in the name.

Also, players are free to pick to play on whatever servers they want and they will do so. Even if youd remove the "ddos protected" mark...youd still see people playing on a different server than the MP one or w/e server you consider is good playing on.

Honestly, id say lets stop with this thread. I mean no offense, but if i was to host a server on which id try to setup ddos protection in the free time that I have and I would see this kind of thread...I would get bummed and rather unappreciated. That is something you do want to avoid in a community where the regulars can be pretty much counted on the fingers.

Kudos to Cronus for doing what he is doing , that is to be appreciated but do not forget that Bong also works on it (in the free time that he has) and he is also guiding other server owners to make their own protection.

- Just my two cents so take it with a grain of salt.

Don't take offense but I don't think you know what you are talking about considering what you just said. CT hasn't had DDoS protection for quite awhile, the DDoS'r has been dormant so there was no need for it. And B0ng is a busy man now, real life comes first no doubt.

Ryz was simply saying CT and others servers list ddos protected when they are not, and players such as this SALMAN are falsely believing in CT, when currently there is 0 protection and it goes down quite easy.

Ryz is trying to keep this game going and I only have my server protected because of B0ng, I'm grateful for all the work he put in, I even found new filters to block new attacks and sent those to B0ng.

I'm trying to help the RenX Community out, I do not play the game, Besides hosting a server I am not too interested in it either. But if no one is gonna use it, I'm gonna turn it off eventually as it takes quite a bit of resources away from my VDS that im using. (FYI we still host and play Old School Renegade and its on that box :P)