Renegade X - MOBA map

blaafferd

So I had this idea for a new map for the game. I was playing Paragon (the map I was playing: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/par ... 0121215450) and I thought that this map would work with Renegade X as well.

The map will be like a regular MOBA map. It will have some defence towers (or turrets) which you have to destroy, it will have the base you have to destroy, it will have some capture points to obtain extra credits. But because it is Renegade X, it will also have their features, like tiberium harvesting, tanks, special infantry, power plants (each base has 2 in my design), etc.

I am no map designer, but the mechanics of Renegade X work really well with such a map i think.

I guess you guys can design it waaay better than I just did, so feel free to edit my design. I hope this map is any good. Cheers!

57c9eea0abb7b_RenXMOBAmap.jpg.0be91c5e9fb75763f852153cb106812d.jpg

Can you define the circles color

eg green=defense ?

The box in the top right is the key. I will list what each colour is here anyway for the lazy guys :P

Black circle = Building

Inside circle = ((( Yellow = WF, BAR, PP and REF OR, AIR, HON, PP, AND REF

Brown = Adv base defense

Blue = Regular Defense (turret/GT)

Green = Tech building)))

Green circle = Tiberium

Black line = Impassable area

Red line = Vehicle blocking volume (inf only area)

Purple Area = No purpose yet

Also, I agree with the idea of a MOBA map for RenX, but that would also mean the 'towers' would have to get a slight buff to make them a bit more threatening (I also don't want to see hotwire having a dancing competition with patch while the turret tries to shoot them).

Looks similar to Walls. Also that's way too many base defences.

Depends what their repair threshold is. Multiple defenses, the front ones can be softer.

Really, this would require some sort of tweak to the gameplay, making things more lethal (I believe a game mode and some code can "scale" units by whatever needed). Not saying it's a great idea, saying it's an entirely possible idea, and a lot of good games are based on it.

Looks similar to Walls. Also that's way too many base defences.

I think it would be interesting to have a lot of base defences, In the current maps its very easy for stealth to destroy a building, it would be nice to have something different (new game play style).

I guess I just don't like base defences ;) Also at the moment they're not balanced, because Guard Towers are so much better than Turrets and GDI already has a general advantage on most maps. Gun/rocket emplacements on this map would probably be better.

I guess I just don't like base defences ;) Also at the moment they're not balanced, because Guard Towers are so much better than Turrets and GDI already has a general advantage on most maps. Gun/rocket emplacements on this map would probably be better.

Maybe they are. Though if they are, they'd have to be buffed to the max I think. The challenge of the MOBA idea is sendig the weaker troops to the tower to create a distraction, and move on the tower yourself to blow it up.

So a lot of tanks and 1 hotwire or technician with a bunch of c4 would do great, as long as the tower (or gun/rocket emplacement) doesn't target hotwire or the technician.

In between the main paths are infantry-only paths. In MOBA's, there are some things you can fight to get some buffs in those paths. But since RenX doesn't have those, something else has to replace that. Does anyone have an idea?

As I said earlier, feel free to edit my design.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of MOBA games.

What I like about the idea however, is to bring a (potentially shifting) frontline element in between the usual base attack/defence gameplay.

Could be cool to see little outposts with ammo/health refill and defense structures (AI and player controlled) on all these blue circles, which can be captured and converted to either side (capturable MCT spawns defense structures)

My concerns:

- Map will be quite big with too little players (yet, transport and logistics between base/frontline could become more important ;) )

- resource abundance and diminished importance of economy (yet, makes comebacks easier?)

- when a team finally pushes trough the frontlines, it will (with the current mechanics) find it difficult to even permanently harm a building in the base.

- no stealth/commando possibilities

Now that I am writing these lines I can actually imagine this idea to introduce some real refreshing RenX gameplay :)

Good luck!

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of MOBA games.

What I like about the idea however, is to bring a (potentially shifting) frontline element in between the usual base attack/defence gameplay.

Could be cool to see little outposts with ammo/health refill and defense structures (AI and player controlled) on all these blue circles, which can be captured and converted to either side (capturable MCT spawns defense structures)

My concerns:

- Map will be quite big with too little players (yet, transport and logistics between base/frontline could become more important ;) )

- resource abundance and diminished importance of economy (yet, makes comebacks easier?)

- when a team finally pushes trough the frontlines, it will (with the current mechanics) find it difficult to even permanently harm a building in the base.

- no stealth/commando possibilities

Now that I am writing these lines I can actually imagine this idea to introduce some real refreshing RenX gameplay :)

Good luck!

As I was reading this I could more or less answer the points you have made so lets see if I can :D

- In the scenario that this map is near completion now and is about to be released, then yes this is a problem, but I think a map like this will take a very long time to make, so by that time RenX could have even hit 1.0, which means more players (I read somewhere that the devs were going to launch a small advertising campaign when this happens).

- I have 2 solutions for this.

1:) Make all unit prices higher by 200%

2:) Each outpost (I see you mentioned that the blue circles could be small bases) has a stockpile of recourses of its own (I don't mean credits, I mean that a certain outpost could house 3 meds and 2 MRLS's and more would have to be delivered by a trans heli if a player buys when there are no more meds). Of course solution number one would be FAR easier to do, but solution 2 would be a cool idea.

- Each outpost could house a power plant, and once a team has broken through the frontlines, the base is out of power, which means building repairs is 75% slower (Or just 50% slower to make it possible to actually make a comeback if your team is losing).

-Each outpost could have 3 or 4 MCTs, and you could have a sneaky tech capture each and have the outpost's defenses activate on the enemy.

Should the towers even be capturable? I think they should just be destroyed, because otherwise the game might take more than an hour if the teams are equally good, or less than 10 minutes because of the losing team not being able to come back and capture those defence points.