'Global' moderators

Ryz

While I think moderating is a privilege and job for the server owners, I also think that it would be good to have something as a backup for when a server isn't moderated. Since the DDOS attack the Ren-X landscape has changed and people play on different servers from which at least half of them are not moderated. This also leads to a lot of glitching / cheating.

Things I've noticed past days:

- People being transported on top of bar (Xmountain) and kill it with a beacon

- Very unbalanced teams (not refering to skill, but numbers, like 7 vs 11 cause people can switch if teams are unbalanced)

- Person shooting from under the map on Under... (two times, oh wait now 3, Under in phrase)

- Enemy team having more vehicles from 'your' team than 'your team' itself. People just handing out tanks

- Repairblocking and the usual stuff

Some things are solved by a votekick, but the people only return minutes later to continue their behaviour. When I played yesterday before my PSU burned we waited for a moderator for like two hours.

So my question: would it be possible, for the future, to have something like 'secondary mods' which are global mods. These people come in action when a request for mod isn't answered for several times / several minutes.

I can imagine server owners having something against it, but I hope it motivates them to organize their own moderating!

• Totem Arts Staff

I can see there being a massive backlash against this.

While the idea is sound, the fact is server owners are responsible for their own server.

I know the developers have some visibility over all servers but they would rather leave it to the server owners to deal with.

I've thought about bringing up the idea of giving the people in the Moderator group in-game permissions to kick & temp-ban for universal issues such as cheating and harassment. I haven't brought it up though, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the idea. Admittedly I do some very light moderation in extreme cases, but as freak said most of us generally want to leave server maintenance and moderation to server owners.

I can understand both the 'serverowner needs to arrange his own stuff' perspective and the fact the Ren-X team doesn't want more work. Downside is that, when we are finally able to play, half of the matches are ruined deliberately with nobody solving this issue. Spoke a guy yesterday and he told me he installed the game 24 hours before. Like me he 'moaned' about the teamwork, but he was also confronted with the glitching. Not sure if he will return to play another day...

• Totem Arts Staff

I haven't the resources to have a mod team in place really. I'm just able to defend it against DDoS Attacks. I'm happy letting whoever moderate in my server. It's just a gameserver what are they gonna do that can't be undone? And if they do something that bad, remove them and never give them mod again :)

I haven't the resources to have a mod team in place really. I'm just able to defend it against DDoS Attacks. I'm happy letting whoever moderate in my server. It's just a gameserver what are they gonna do that can't be undone? And if they do something that bad, remove them and never give them mod again :)

Good to hear Cronus, I don't want to typ down the server names which do not moderate, cause I am glad they are there and I don't want to 'blame' them for trying their utmost, but your server is one of the place which usually has someone supporting when I do a modrequest! :)

• Totem Arts Staff
I can see there being a massive backlash against this.

While the idea is sound, the fact is server owners are responsible for their own server.

I know the developers have some visibility over all servers but they would rather leave it to the server owners to deal with.

One thing specifically today was on Tha Pedros server or whatever, we were playing Tomb and this guy nuked bar, completely ruined game and near half people left game.

But it is their responsibility, however if they don't, they are ruining the game because the players won't swap to the moderated server.

Leave the devs alone. Moderators should be recruited from active players. Agent can already grant global mod powers through her RCon. So the most logical and achievable step imho would be to create a new group of thrustworthy global server-moderators. The already moderated servers might complain then though. So ideally global mods should only have powers when no server mod is present.

Leave the devs alone. Moderators should be recruited from active players. Agent can already grant global mod powers through his RCon. So the most logical and achievable step imho would be to create a new group of thrustworthy global server-moderators. The already moderated servers might complain then though. So ideally global mods should only have powers when no server mod is present.

Hehe I would rather leave the devs alone so they can focus on other stuff, but since the developers are the ones who can 'create' this or make it possible I posted it here. I like the idea of global server moderators!

Well, honestly, which server are you having trouble moderating? Fffreak9999 usually responds to ANY !requestmod commands in CT, and if you are talking about Cronus's MPF server, then petition him to create more moderators out of active players whom he is willing to trust.

As far as global moderators go, sadly enough, the only people I can think deserve moderation of every server everywhere, are ones already moderating CT and ones moderating these forums. That is quite biased, because those already moderate for the most part.

Basically CT (which was offline) and MPF / Cronus have moderation most of the time, Area54 sometimes and all of the rest just not....

If you ask me there are more respected players who could be a mod, but it's not for me to judge.