Old Renegade campaign in RenX

Detritus

I searched for another thread like this but was surprised I couldn't find any, so here's this one.

In a future update, couldn't the devs include the old ren capaign in renx? For those among us who want to replay through all the story with higher graphics? Is there a plan for this in the future, or no?

Detritus said:
Is this because not enough devs, or would it be next to impossible even with a huge team?

Because this game still doesn't have the other Renegade buildings, and some of the Nod vehicles.

Edited by CoreDefender

• Totem Arts Staff
You'd also need a number of character/NPC models, large levels being reimplemented, some additional UnrealScript code, and tons of Kismet.

A lot of kistet that was used for Black Dawn isn't in the SDK anymore. Am I right?

And you would like to have a contemporary rendition of the Renegade single player campaign in 2016? That is a lot of work to make it feel current. From creative leadership through modellers and programmers to mocap and good voice acting, that would be some development pipeline. Even playing this aged UE3 engine, you would have some standard requirement about the quality. Otherwise you'd have an obsolete game.

Hmm, generally I like story-driven campaigns or just maps. And to be honest, Totem Arts (Devs) have already released Black Dawn, which - I believe uses a lot of the content (audiofiles) / concepts (objectives) from the original Renegade campaign and reinvents it for RenX. Well done, but I guess this was a sh#!-ton of work...

However, my major concern would be that singleplayer campaigns have little "replayability", especially compared to the development efforts put into it.

Multiplayer instead, where human players contribute to creating a unique story and experience for every match played, features more longevity and replayability, which keeps the game and its community alive.

Combining the aspects of singleplayer (story, objectives, cinematics and effects) and multiplayer (unpredictability, creativity, teamwork) one could focus on creating "Coop-Missions", or asymmetric maps instead. By asymetric I mean not only the map layout, but especially the objectives of each team. in standard C&C mode each team has to ATTACK the enemy's base, while DEFENDING their own. Why not try mixing things up a bit, based on what we have already?

One could even use the original Campaign as references,

e.g. take mission 1 BEFORE the GDI Base is destroyed:

GDI Objectives: 1) patrol the village and protect civilians, 2) Defend the Base, in case of destruction, reinforcements could be sent (Havoc) to 3) eliminate Nod Forces / Buildings and 4) free civilians

Nod Objectives: 1) capture civilians and bring to detention camp, 2) Attack GDI Base, 3) Stop counterattack / Defend HoN, Communications Center & detention camp.

the chronological / conditional order of these objectives should be similar to the original mission. However, the development of the story should work in both ways, i.e. Nod could win by pushing forward and wiping GDI of the coast, and GDI could win, by effective patrolling and defending the village, WITHOUT the GDI Base being destroyed.

This would give a whole new level of dynamics for a game.

Good idea j0g32. By the way the map vote menu could be something similar like the well known C&C campaign. With arrows indicating the next possible target.

latest?cb=20130424213636

Or with a World map:

map50.png

Just a comment on the second map, I know that GDI had control of South Africa even in TW1.

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/South_Africa

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:GDI_Countries

Also, while I was reading some stuff there about Germany in C&C, I see that Patch was german? (If it was obvious sorry because I have not really touched black dawn or the original campaign)

Just a comment on the second map, I know that GDI had control of South Africa even in TW1.

Way off topic, pardon me. I was looking for C&C-type maps in the tiberian universe. I think the world map must be a Tiberian Sun-era map, because of the Nod logo above Cairo, and newer type of GDI logos . By the way in Tiberian Dawn, Nod vanquished GDI in South Africa, they even took Cape Town (this would be a good Renegade X setting). This is the last mission in Tiberian Dawn, to build and defend the second Temple of Nod after they lost one in Sarajevo. With that victory, Kane wiped out the GDI forces from Africa. Hence a temple model in Renegade X multiplayer would come in handy. The stories revolve around this buildings.

Oh I see, I thought the map might of been a pre TW1 map. Also,

they even took Cape Town (this would be a good Renegade X setting).
It would be an amazing setting for a C&C map, although it would be tricky to actually find a location in the city to have a base (or two). A good idea would be to have GDI's base on top of table mountain and then Nod's base near the bottom. From knowledge I know that the only way onto table mountain is either a lengthy trail to the top, or by cable car.

Very well, Mr Serious Oak! Quite a good idea. Playing on the most iconic, or memorable places is one of the most important aspect of gaming. By the way Cape Town's architecture of the inner city is very western-like, the upcoming CNC-City could be actualized as this South African city as well. Of course assets will be needed.

So whether we are speaking of a single player campaign, or co-op campaign, or multiplayer with some randomized narrative story elements, Tiberian Dawn was set in very interesting countries. from Estonia to South Africa. And Renegade too. I like the fantasy setting of many other maps, but merging fantasy elements with actual real life places, framed with narrative design, would be the best.

P.S.: Cape Town has a Retreat township with Retreat road, not far from the sea. Named after the dutch, whom retreated from a 18th century lost battle. How good is this? :)

Might aswell post this.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I've been busy with 'The Scorpion Hunters' some time ago, but I don't have the time to work on it at the moment. Rough map is almost done, but the scripting will be the challenge. If anyone is interested, I can provide a link to the map.

• Totem Arts Staff
Might aswell post this.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I've been busy with 'The Scorpion Hunters' some time ago, but I don't have the time to work on it at the moment. Rough map is almost done, but the scripting will be the challenge. If anyone is interested, I can provide a link to the map.

You know I already did this months ago, do you? :|

viewtopic.php?f=138&t=75700

But your's looks more interesting than mine

Very well, Mr Serious Oak! Quite a good idea. Playing on the most iconic, or memorable places is one of the most important aspect of gaming. By the way Cape Town's architecture of the inner city is very western-like, the upcoming CNC-City could be actualized as this South African city as well. Of course assets will be needed.

So whether we are speaking of a single player campaign, or co-op campaign, or multiplayer with some randomized narrative story elements, Tiberian Dawn was set in very interesting countries. from Estonia to South Africa. And Renegade too. I like the fantasy setting of many other maps, but merging fantasy elements with actual real life places, framed with narrative design, would be the best.

P.S.: Cape Town has a Retreat township with Retreat road, not far from the sea. Named after the dutch, whom retreated from a 18th century lost battle. How good is this? :)

Some very interesting points there, also I would like to point out that the actual city part of the town (where the buildings are) is not really that big. I mean it consists of say 4-7 blocks of maybe 20-30 story buildings (just because I live there does not mean I know every inch of Cape Town xD)? Also, I think it would be better to start another map from scratch than take a map like City and suddenly brand it with being South African :P.

...just because I live there does not mean I know every inch of Cape Town xD)? Also, I think it would be better to start another map from scratch than take a map like City and suddenly brand it with being South African :P.

LOL, I didn't know you are from Cape Town! Had I known this, I would rephase my little Rough Guide about the city. :) And you are right, Cape Town would deserve a standalone map.

...just because I live there does not mean I know every inch of Cape Town xD)? Also, I think it would be better to start another map from scratch than take a map like City and suddenly brand it with being South African :P.

LOL, I didn't know you are from Cape Town! Had I known this, I would rephase my little Rough Guide about the city. :) And you are right, Cape Town would deserve a standalone map.

Check the detail stuff <-----