Make Moderator Actions Accountable

Lostalot

Recently I've seen possible evidence of a mod or two going power-crazy. Some of this may have legitimate reasoning some of it may not but it's beginning to border on harassment.

I've seen Mammys and Flametanks randomly explode in their own base when at full health, players drop dead mid-sprint and yesterday there was a new-guy who got kicked for mining in the 'wrong places' whilst we were in the middle of explaining it to him in chat (the humorous point being his mines were getting crazy kills).

As I said, some of this may have a reason behind it but if a mod is going to have a zero tolerance policy they should be accountable for their actions.

Simple things to add to the log.

xxx modkilled xxx

xxx modkicked xxx

Thoughts?

I've seen Mammys and Flametanks randomly explode in their own base when at full health,

Were they at the spawning point in their base? (arrow on strip and inside WF) If not then that might be because they had remote C4 on them.

players drop dead mid-sprint

Also might be because of remote C4.

a new-guy who got kicked for mining in the 'wrong places' whilst we were in the middle of explaining it to him in chat (the humorous point being his mines were getting crazy kills).

If his mines were deleting mines in the buildings then that was alright, but not to kick from the game. He should of just banned from minning.

The Mammy/Heart-attack was the same player, he'd buy a mammy and either die running towards it or it would blow up when he finally got in then he'd die, this actually happened 2 or 3 times with the mammy (the map was field and the agt was still up so c4 is very unlikely in all incidents).

When people have the mysterious heart-attacks it tends to be in 'runs' where they are happening continuously to the same player far to close together for it to be coincidence. I've even had it happen to me when a buddy was giving my SBH a boost on his APC to the air-stip rooftop (on volcano) (questionable territory I know (especially when some mods permit it) but to modkill without explanation doesn't clarify the situation).

As for the miner, the only mines he was replacing were his own when they got blown up, any mines he 'replaced' would have been because other people had placed mines during the interim and I doubt that were intentional, the guy was fairly clueless.

Guest Gliven

I'd say try and record what happens next time, and find out which mods were in-game at the time.

Then ask them why they did it, if they did at all. If all else fails just post the video or screenshots on the forum.

find out which mods were in-game at the time.

Some mods have been called out on this behaviour and it's usually devolved into a "it's our server if you don't like it leave" level of arrogance. I don't want this to turn in to a witch-hunt though, most of the mods are pretty cool.

A little transparency would go a long way though since it's hard to catch unless you actively see/experience it and it would make the mods more accountable for their actions. Especially when multiple mods are online since you don't know who's doing what.

xxx modkilled xxx

xxx modkicked xxx

Is all it takes and should curve the power-tripping, if it doesn't then people will be able to point fingers.

• Totem Arts Staff

Chats about Moderation actions taken should be posted to the appropriate Server's Website rather than the RenX Forums, since this forum is regarding the game, rather than individual servers.

However

I've seen Mammys and Flametanks randomly explode in their own base when at full health, players drop dead mid-sprint and yesterday there was a new-guy who got kicked for mining in the 'wrong places' whilst we were in the middle of explaining it to him in chat (the humorous point being his mines were getting crazy kills).

Tanks Exploding - Vehicle Death is recorded in the log, but it doesn't output to in-game since this could be a rather large amount of spam to the kill feed, and it can already be quite busy.

Players Dying mid sprint - This could be due to being killed by a sniper, especially 500 snipers, who have no visible bullet, and you can easily miss the kill message especially if a lot of people die in the same time frame. However if you don't see a killer attached to the kill feed, they could also have taken damage from the environment, although Died, does occur if a Mod/Admin kills a person, the player does not get listed in the kill feed as the Mod does not "Kill" the player, the server does.

Kicked for Mining - Mine Banning is a valid method of handling these situations, since if the player was new they are unlikely to be kicked for just Mining issues. Although this would be better off being discussed with the Server Administrator to ensure the mods are following the rules rather than discussed here.

Also all use of the commands are logged I believe by default, although that can be changed by the server owner. And many moderation bots that link to IRC would also record Mod/admin commands used.

So Mods and Admins can be held to account if necessary, but these situations should be dealt with on the server's website.

Chats about Moderation actions taken should be posted to the appropriate Server's Website rather than the RenX Forums, since this forum is regarding the game, rather than individual servers.

However

Tanks Exploding - Vehicle Death is recorded in the log, but it doesn't output to in-game since this could be a rather large amount of spam to the kill feed, and it can already be quite busy.

Players Dying mid sprint - This could be due to being killed by a sniper, especially 500 snipers, who have no visible bullet, and you can easily miss the kill message especially if a lot of people die in the same time frame. However if you don't see a killer attached to the kill feed, they could also have taken damage from the environment, although Died, does occur if a Mod/Admin kills a person, the player does not get listed in the kill feed as the Mod does not "Kill" the player, the server does.

Kicked for Mining - Mine Banning is a valid method of handling these situations, since if the player was new they are unlikely to be kicked for just Mining issues. Although this would be better off being discussed with the Server Administrator to ensure the mods are following the rules rather than discussed here.

Also all use of the commands are logged I believe by default, although that can be changed by the server owner. And many moderation bots that link to IRC would also record Mod/admin commands used.

So Mods and Admins can be held to account if necessary, but these situations should be dealt with on the server's website.

I'm not talking about specific mods/servers (although I did give examples of mod actions that have occurred on a specific server), I'm talking about them being held accountable regardless of servers.

Vehicle deaths have no purpose in the kill feed, but if a mod kills a vehicle it should be.

Died should be shown in the kill feed with the mods name if they triggered a modkill.

The same goes for modkicks.

If mods are going to commit actions they shouldn't be obscured, it only leads to abuse of power. If your actions are above board you have no need to hide them. Transparency is the best way to protect both mods and players.