Specifically why is Field so unfun?

epicelite

You can't do dick on your own.

I mean, MAYBE if:

-You are GDI and Nod is seriously not paying attention AT ALL you could sneak into the Nod Ref.

-You are Nod and get a spy crate, and GDI is paying little attention

So the Field experience consists of:

-Dicking around in the tunnels

-Camping in a vehicle outside of the enemy base

-Crate whoring

-Attempting, and failing, to get your team to work together in any significant manner. Which usually results in failure anyway because of how easy defense is.

None of which are particularly fun.

Personally I think the lack of organization is what makes field boring in combination with the design which requires it. It's one of the maps (among Under) which heavy relies on teamwork, since there are almost no solo options.

Also Field is especially a map where people tend to snipe. I sometimes encounter above 5 snipers in the game, doesn't make it less stalemat but even more...

It can be worse ofc. cause today we had 2 SBH spies who were afraid about base defences (wtf?), so they decided to go afk or something.... Was on Under BTW.

I'd break it down to two aspects: infantry and vehicles.

The tunnel is an infantry magnet, as you can quickly engage in a firefight shortly after spawning. Some people just farm kills there with high tier units, which is understandable given this is an FPS after all. But I don’t get the people who just run in with free chars to avenge themselves and they die and die and die. Sometimes one of the team manages to secure it –they kill enemy infantry as soon as they try to get into the tunnels- but then what? They aren’t a threat to any of the buildings as they don’t have the mass/firepower to deal high amount of damage in a short time, constantly have to deal with brainless chargers and can’t cause havoc in the base because of the automated defenses.

Of course sometimes you can plant a beacon near a building but those places are so limited and obvious that only a super lazy team falls for it.

Organized mass rushes in the tunnels are rare and only work if they can surprise the enemy.

Sneaking possibilities are the lowest among all of the maps.

So the tunnels are a great place to distract many people from organized vehicle deployment or rushes.

Vehicles:

As soon as you come out of your base entrance you can see the entire field and you can be seen as well, which means no suprises, no distractive manoeuvres possible. Stank rushes were fearful in oldren Field, but with RenX mechanics it’s obsolete.

The base entrances are chokepoints and medium size rushes can be easily countered with significantly less vehicles as the guard towers deals the main damage. All you have to do is to hinder their advancement.

But the main problem is that at the chokepoints only 1,5 buildings can be hit. By the 0,5 I mean that only a few vehicles have space to position themselves to hit other than the HON or WF. Which means all of the defenders can focus repairing one building. On other maps you can solve this by changing targets when the repair output is constantly more than the damage output.

In Field at this point of stalemate all you can do is to rush in for another building, hoping that enemy is too busy slurping tea while holding down the LMB and pointing towards the MCT. But for that you need a good amount of tanks, for that you need to organize this and for that you need people who cooperate. But wait, most of them are fighting a pointless battle in the tunnels, sniping, or SBH noobing around.

TLDR: Field is a push and pull map, which means you need firepower. To get that you need to mass tanks which requires teamplay and cooperative players. It has strong base defense layouts therefore one person can very rarely turn the tide of the battle unlike on other maps. Field’s tunnel is RenX' unofficial teamdeathmatch metamap.

It's down to map design (bottlenecks) and, as Ryz said, lack of organization. Vehicle rushes, if done right, can work well on Field, but they don't happen very often and fail most of the time/are easy to defend against, as Radeon described.

With the base defence nerf in the last patch, it's easier to sneak into AGT/Obelisk/WF, so these buildings get destroyed more often, which is good. Removing the walls surrounding both Refs could make sneaking and tunnel rushes even more viable, but I'm afraid it would also lead to even more tunnel camping.

The worst thing for me are MRLS/Arties camping the tunnel entrances, I don't get how that is any fun! Other than that, I personally think Field is really not that bad as people make it to be.

Field is fun for the newcomers and unfun for the oldies. Why?

Newcomers get to experiment (mess) around with tanks / different infantry without having their base rushed 24/7 and having to have all hands on deck to defend or atack. You can literally leave 2-3 tanks to defend and one or two good raveshaws/snipers/shotguns in the tunnel and you wont lose the base anytime soon.

Oldies hate it for this exact reason. They have seen the map before...they passed through hours of marathon on field ( and under) and got fed up with it and they already know the basics of each vehicle/infantry.

Thats the reason in my opinion.

P.S. Maybe Field could be the go to map for tutorial. Its hard to lose a base and you can try out any vehicle in the field and any infantry in the tunnel (and the field too). Perfect map for newcomers to discover the game's units.

Field is extremely fun IMO because if GDI is good, the game will be back and forth. Nod has always had the advantage on this map; if I win as GDI, that's really satisfying. I will try my best to lead the team but if they don't want to listen and I've lost my patience, I'll go mess around in tunnel until someone else who's good decides to lead. I have no problem trying to win or dicking around in tunnel because both are fun to me.

Field is extremely fun IMO because if GDI is good, the game will be back and forth. Nod has always had the advantage on this map; if I win as GDI, that's really satisfying. I will try my best to lead the team but if they don't want to listen and I've lost my patience, I'll go mess around in tunnel until someone else who's good decides to lead. I have no problem trying to win or dicking around in tunnel because both are fun to me.

Field is one of the most GDI-sided maps in the game

Everything would be better without AGT and Obelisk on this map. The lack of this deadly defense buildings would encourage people to coopeare in infiltrating bases from tunnels, or moving trough the choke points with tanks as fast as possible. You could save Field, just get rid of these buildings!

Field is like the most played map next to walls. People seems to hate it, but it gets voted everytime. There's like around 17 votes for field and like 3-5 other people chooses different maps and when it's field, 20+ people whine about the map. It's like some kind of fetish, choose field and whine about it how bad and campy the map is. Kinda hilarious.

Personally i like field, but it's just overplayed and 90% of the time people are derping around.

only one vehicle path and infantry path... makes camping (aka defending) way too easy...

also: hold the field and you hold silo + harv + camping enemy base

if you want only one base entrance don't put AGT's / Obi's in your map.

AGT / Obi maps need at least 2 base entrances (for vehicles) + 2 fields / separated vehicle routes + 2 sneaky infantry paths (preferably access to PP)

thats why under and field sucks. they only have one field and only one base entrance for vehicles and only one sneaky route. you always find your friendly arty camper, camping those tunnels all game (really how does those people have fun?).

you can try organize some smart team play action, but even good plans can get totaly annihilated by just an unorganized bunch defending their base...

also remeber to make the maps big enough. there needs to be some travel time between the two bases, otherwise it ends like on tomb, where you kill a few enemy players / tanks and in ~15 seconds they are back in your base and you practically never get a chance to fight back. also that's why everyone tries to rush at the beginning of the map...

if you want only one base entrance don't put AGT's / Obi's in your map.

AGT / Obi maps need at least 2 base entrances (for vehicles) + 2 fields / separated vehicle routes + 2 sneaky infantry paths (preferably access to PP)

thats why under and field sucks.

Quoted, because so true.

Also Field is a bad map, because:

- The only viable infantry paths are easy to camp with a single vehicles (Arty/MLRS)

- The open field clearly favors vehicle of one side (GDI)

- It is almost impossible to sneak in

- Aside from Gunner / Moebius rush paid infantry is pretty useless in tunnels. Due to low spawn times and short ways it is much smarter to just permanently pump shotgunners and officers into tunnels.