W3D to something converter

Kalle Bowo

Hey folks,

I know that RenX isn't running on the W3D engine but I know that some of you folks used to hang around with the CnC Reborn dev team back in the good ol' days. So you might be able to help me on that. I still got all the 3D models from Reborn on my harddrive, unfortunately only the W3D files and no max or something, and so far I didn't manage to convert the 3D models into something that I can open and edit with Cinema4D (OBJ, FTL, I don't know, something).

And I mean ... who DOESN'T want a 3D printed GDI Titan or Mammoth MK II on their desk, huh?! xD

So if you know any working method or program to convert these files, that would be super awesome :)

cheers ^^

Kalle

I downloaded XCC Utilities (http://xhp.xwis.net/utilities/) and was able to extract Renegade maps so I could open them in 3ds max. Don't know what fileformats you're able to export to, but if you can get them inside 3ds max then you'll most likely be able to export them as obj as well. I also recall needing a certain importer for 3DS max.

Can't help any further at the moment, but start by downloading the XCC utilities, that will probably get you far.

• Totem Arts Staff
I downloaded XCC Utilities (http://xhp.xwis.net/utilities/) and was able to extract Renegade maps so I could open them in 3ds max. Don't know what fileformats you're able to export to, but if you can get them inside 3ds max then you'll most likely be able to export them as obj as well. I also recall needing a certain importer for 3DS max.

Can't help any further at the moment, but start by downloading the XCC utilities, that will probably get you far.

Well you got to show me how because this would be helpfull to convert the original models to the right size. If I import a original model, it always is very small and I think this is the reason why the colission of the Tomb is so bad.

I don't know if you get me right, it's not about extracting them out of the game files. I was part of the modding team, I got everything already on my hard drive, neatly sorted ^^ it's abut how do I convert from w3d into some other 3d file format which I can open with cinema4d (I'm not using max, shame on me).

mammy.jpg.a359b51be19faec815bc08b39dd46148.jpg

Do you even have permission from the Reborn team to use their models? Because there was a bit of a fight on the W3DHub forums about an ex-dev who was threatening to take all the assets here if the Reborn team didn't start working on the RenX engine. Probably should ask before you do anything.

honestly. i was part of the team for years. we had no contract, we were doing this stuff for fun, in our freetime, because we were passionate about cnc. i mean i made the fucking game's logo (and a ton of graphics more they're still using). i even made a new logo animation years after i left the team. i even reworked the animation when they changed the name from cnc reborn to ts reborn. i poured enough of my passion into this project.

when i want to take for example reborns titan 3d model as a basis to completely remodel the thing from scratch anyway (because the game models tend to be not print-ready) to 3d print the stuff just for me alone in my freetime, that's none of their business.

i could remodel the stuff completely from scratch without these models and add some details etc, too, but it's easier to take them as reference.

In order to import w3d files into 3dsmax, you will need 3dsmax version 8, and this tutorial:

https://secure.w3dhub.com/forum/index.p ... pic=414512

Find "Option 2" and work from there. Unfortunately you will need 3dsmax 8, you cannot use other versions.

Also, personal use is totally fine. I personally would love to see a 3d printed Titan.

honestly. i was part of the team for years. we had no contract, we were doing this stuff for fun, in our freetime, because we were passionate about cnc. i mean i made the fucking game's logo (and a ton of graphics more they're still using). i even made a new logo animation years after i left the team. i even reworked the animation when they changed the name from cnc reborn to ts reborn. i poured enough of my passion into this project.

when i want to take for example reborns titan 3d model as a basis to completely remodel the thing from scratch anyway (because the game models tend to be not print-ready) to 3d print the stuff just for me alone in my freetime, that's none of their business.

i could remodel the stuff completely from scratch without these models and add some details etc, too, but it's easier to take them as reference.

Hey man, I'm not trying to be an ass, I just don't want there to be drama between the two groups. I'd absolutely love 3D printed TS vehicles. Having a Titan or a Wolverine to put on my desk would be awesome.

• 2 years later...
On 4/17/2016 at 6:52 PM, Generalcamo said:

In order to import w3d files into 3dsmax, you will need 3dsmax version 8, and this tutorial:

https://secure.w3dhub.com/forum/index.p ... pic=414512

Find "Option 2" and work from there. Unfortunately you will need 3dsmax 8, you cannot use other versions.

Also, personal use is totally fine. I personally would love to see a 3d printed Titan.

I should send the latest W3D Tools script for 3dsmax (any version) that supports any Westwood/EA titles that uses W3D.

This one is way out of date, although it had been updated by other people based on the first release of my W3D-Importer script, it does not include 1/10 of the features of the latest script I never ever released.

• Thanks 1