renegade maps in unreal

omega79

is it possible to somehow convert a renegade map into something that could be read by the unreal editor,

or do you have to start from scratch if you want to rebuild a renegade map?

if there is no possibility to import the renegade map somehow, do you remake it just by your knowledge of the map

(+ screenshots, + videos, ...)

or do you use something like the renegade editor coordinates to stick with the right proportion ...

would be nice if someone could tell me more about this work

We remake everything from scratch with Unreal assets or custom assets using the Unreal map editor. Maps use a combination of terrain and polygonal "brushes" made in the editor, and static meshes made in an external program and imported into UED. (Although you can also make custom brush shapes and import those as well.)

Although to answer your question yes it would be possible to import the Renegade map meshes into Unreal after a few filetype conversions. But we really have no need to do that. The staff has collectively played several thousand hours of Renegade. We know the ins and outs of the standard maps by heart.

thanx for you answer :D

i played like 2000h of renegade ... but i am not sure if i could rebuild a map just from my memorries :rolleyes: :unsure:

as i told in an other post i just started to use the unrealeditor, and i am far from building a complex map like a rennegade map would be ...

but i sure would love to play around a bit ;)

is there a special trick you use to keep everything in the right size, or is it just a matter of routine?

QUOTE (GummiBear @ Jul 28 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also I guess you are aiming for higher poly count in your maps than Renegade had right?[/b]

couldnt you just modify it for more polies?

or might that be more work than doing it from the scratch?

btw, someone working on mesa? ... have a couple of ideas ;)

[edit]

ups, seems i did choose the wrong section here ... sorry

[/edit]

QUOTE (omega79 @ Jul 28 2008, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is there a special trick you use to keep everything in the right size, or is it just a matter of routine?[/b]

Import a character static mesh to compare scale to.

QUOTE (omega79 @ Jul 28 2008, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
couldnt you just modify it for more polies?
or might that be more work than doing it from the scratch?[/b]

Illegal for us to use any original Renegade models/textures/sounds/etc and more work than necessary.