CnC - Fort

nBab

I've been working on a map for while. (after watching kenz's tutorial series i had to make one xD)

The first map i tried making became too big for my taste so i made another smaller one using some of the assets i had from my first map as a start.

I have made some progress but it still needs a lot of work. the hardest part for me is the scripting/kismet since i have no knowledge about unrealscript and mutators and need to learn all that stuff first :/

We have a lot of horseshoe shaped maps so i tried making one that's not like that. I will post some screenshots later but for now, this is my initial map layout :P

new_map_idea.jpg

Edited by Guest

This is the square at the center of the map in the sketch. I call it the fort (which is a candidate for the map name...).

It consists of a bunker under ground, a building above ground and a second floor for cover/sniping

01.jpg

The bunker is the intersection of the GDI and Nod tunnels. it also contains a purchase terminal that when captured, allows the team to build the tiberian sun vehicles. (i still need to figure out how to do it in kismet/mutator). it's connected to the top with a ladder.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

The structure above ground is an old building that's not been used for a while like the bunker. so bushes and grasses have started to grow from the spaces between tiles...

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The second floor has a tower which contains the building flag (it changes color when captured and animates like a flag etc.)

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

That's it for now. i will post more screens later. also please keep in mind that the color or position of meshes, ground etc. may change in the final build. this is still a work in progress.

Thank you all. i'm glad you've liked it so far.

I'm a tunnel camper myself so obviously this map has tunnels too :P

Each base has two tunnel entrances. one close to airstrip/weapons factory and the other close to HoN/Barracks.

02.jpg

01.jpg

I've put some crates/barrels in the tunnels for cover but i didn't want to put too many to get in the way.

09.jpg

Each base's tunnel also has a vehicle showroom that showcases the tiberian sun vehicles available for purchase after capturing the fort i mentioned in my previous post.

04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Titan was too big and i didn't want to scale it down to the wolverine size so... you can only see about half of it >.<

08.jpg

As for the layout of the tunnels, here's a short video of the GDI tunnel. Nod's is pretty much the same just with different vehicles in the showroom. (sorry for the video quality)

9TUc7oNAAHM

Wow, a lot of progress and it looks very good!

I feel, you have good sense of level design (materials, layout, lighting, effects).

About the Titan: can you adapt height of the showroom - either increase the ceiling, or lower the floor - maybe just around where the Titan is (add some scaffolding/walkways like in the PT level) ? ;)

edit: although I love the idea about the castle / outpost in the middle, I cannot fully agree with the current design, it is a mixture of ruins with the Sci-Fi looking walls from UT3...

maybe go for something intermediate, i.e. industrial just like the tunnels ?

Anyway great work :)

About the Titan: can you adapt height of the showroom - either increase the ceiling, or lower the floor - maybe just around where the Titan is (add some scaffolding/walkways like in the PT level) ? ;)

There's no room to raise the ceiling as the landscape is right on top of it. also when the titan is standing straight, the long antennas it has stick out of the ground/landscape so i have to lower it even further. i tried lowering the floor but it didn't look good because the titan was lower than the other vehicles (because of the antennas >.<) and the lowered floor couldn't be seen from the tunnel windows anyway. just imagine the GDI engineers cut half of the titan and are displaying just that xD

edit: although I love the idea about the castle / outpost in the middle, I cannot fully agree with the current design, it is a mixture of ruins with the Sci-Fi looking walls from UT3...

maybe go for something intermediate, i.e. industrial just like the tunnels ?

I've not played any of the UTs so i had no idea they were "sci-fi" walls xD i'm just using what we have available in the SDK and fits the purpose :P

Still, I've changed the walls and added some doorways. i don't know if i made it worse or better >.< it may still change until the final release :P

01.jpg

-----------------------

This map has two more capturable buildings!

The good old silo:

02.jpg

It has vehicle access routes from the sides and an infantry only tunnel from the front.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The next capturable building is the "Healing Facility".

At first, The plan was just to add a bunker in its place. but it would've made this part of the map uninteresting and provided no reason for players to go there. instead i decided to make a new tech building that provides health regeneration when captured. i also tried to provide enough spaces to snipe from in the building so that it can do the bunker's job as well.

06.jpg

Since my modeling skills are abysmal, i made it using BSP and the modular walls we had in the SDK. i hope it looks acceptable enough >.<

It also has it's own flag that changes to GDI or Nod when captured and a rotating satellite dish!

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

When Captured, it increases the max health of every infantry in the owning team by 50 and heals their health by 1 every 2 seconds. i tried to keep the effect low but still good enough so that it's worth capturing.

13.jpg

I've spent the past week trying to learn unrealscrpt/mutators and write the mutator that does the logic of it. it sounds very easy but is very complicated to implement in action specially for someone without any past experience like me >.< (Spent a day and half just trying to display captured building name when captured on screen xD)

Here's a short video of the healing facility:

mReY0lIO7pU

P.S Thanks to Agent for his suggestion about implementing a timer for the pawn class to set it's health after spawn. i had to to do it in the end since setting the player health at spawn doesn't work in neither checkreplacemet nor modifyplayer functions >.<

wow amazing... the exteriors of the med centre could use some more details... the internal part of the med centre looks amazing. :D

it's also nice to see that someone actually managed to get the flag behaviour right ^^ bar and silo flags sometimes look very weird... imo they move too fast and are sometimes wadded making it really hard to see the team on the flag...

and we finally have a techbuilding MCT, which is not called MCT xD i like that a lot :D

give us moar tech buildings and awesome maps xD NOOOOOOOW!!! xD

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update >.<

About the flag, it's simple udk cloth system. i used blender for modeling the flag and i think you need max/maya for apex stuff.

the exteriors of the med centre could use some more details... the internal part of the med centre looks amazing.

You are right, i've changed the exterior texture now but it still needs more work before it's ready.

01.jpg

btw it seems "Medical Center" is the preferred name here so i guess i'll go with that :P does CnC universe have a building called that?

----------------------------------------------------

So this update is all about the purchase system of the tiberian vehicles after capturing the fort. i had to spend a lot of time coding the system but it's finally ready.

There are two things still remaining however. one is that we don't have eva sounds for all the TS vehicles. i have the code ready and can add them when we have them but for now we only have eva sound for the recon bike. i couldn't even find a general "vehicle is ready" eva sound i could use for all of them...

The other is the description of the vehicles like what guns or armor they have etc. that shows on the purchase screen. i have to find more info about them and update it later.

First the GDI purchase screen:

05.jpg

And again Titan doesn't fit in anywhere...

02.jpg

I actually had to change the spawn location of the titan to the front of the weapons factory because it got stuck when it spawned inside...

jy2Ya-rygfk

And this is the Nod purchase screen:

04.jpg

Since Nod has one more vehicle than GDI, and it needed another row, i had to edit the flash file for the UI and learn a bit of scaleform... (btw for the devs, i couldn't find the "loadtexture" function anywhere in the flash file included in the SDK and it didn't work, so i had to go back to the old method of putting each icon on a different keyframe and changing the frame in unrealscript.)

03.jpg

And "SkeletalMeshForPT" value of the Tick Tank is wrong and points to the Light Tank so i had to extend it and fix it too :P

zyTa_9DGHmE

The Prices i have set for now as you can see in the screenshots are:

Hover MRLS: 1000

Wolverine: 1000

Titan: 1500

Recon Bike: 1000

Buggy: 1000

Tick Tank: 1500

I will change them after the actual testing of the map and seeing if they work or not.

That's it for now. i think most of the work has been done and i may be able to provide the maop for the testing server in a week or two. things that are remaining for now are:

- Fixing the flying rocks/grasses (even though i've fixed a gazillion of them already...)

- Prettifying the mountains, tunnel entrances and in general everything.

- Converting some of the remaining decals to meshes so people with the default setting that has static decals set to off, can see them too...

- Finishing the Medical Center's exterior and changing it's name to "Medical Center"

- Adding Culling Volume and setting proper max draw distance for everything and in general optimizing the map.

- Finding EVA sounds for TS vehicles or a general "Vehicle is Ready" sound or just set it to no sound if all fails...

- Minimap

- End Game Camera

My next update will probably be about the bases and their design.

Edited by Guest

I'm glad you've liked it and thanks for your encouragements :P

Is the PT coded in such a way that it overrides the map-global PT system? Or can it be placed as a seperate actor to access a different PT menu?

It overrides "Rx_GFxPurchaseMenu" and can't be accessed separately.

I'm glad you've liked it and thanks for your encouragements :P
Is the PT coded in such a way that it overrides the map-global PT system? Or can it be placed as a seperate actor to access a different PT menu?

It overrides "Rx_GFxPurchaseMenu" and can't be accessed separately.

Okay, hmm,

I don't know your coding skills, but if you can make it so, that it can be accessed seperately (via a custom Rx_BuildingAttachment_PT class) It would have a better chance of getting implemented I think! That way the decision of implementing this into a map becomes map specific instead of server-wide.

You see, if we would use your mutator on a server, every map would have these new vehicles because we would override the server-wide system (nothing wrong with that) but maybe it's a better idea to have it map specific...

I'm not telling you should do it right away, but I think your work would come to it's right better that way. It's something to think about ;)

Awesome work anyway, good job!

The way i'm doing it now, the mutator checks the map name and only runs if it's a certain map and quits if it's not. so it should not affect other maps. of course it still needs some testing to be sure it works flawlessly.

• Totem Arts Staff

Note: you can do some sound editing to get 'hover mrls ready' announcement (use hovercraft and mrls one)

Note 2: for TS buggy you can easy use 'buggy ready' announcement like you did with recon bike

It doesn't sound good with a simple copy and paste and i don't have any sound editing skills to make it sound better... still better than nothing though xD

QfHMAe7ojNs

And about the buggy sound, you're right, i'll use the one we have :P

• 3 weeks later...
I think it doesnt matter how hover mrls sounds.
Well, it does matter a bit. You will hear it a lot one after another. :)

I won't be using that sound; instead i made a "Tank Ready" EVA sound for Nod and GDI and will be using that.

I will go over the bases now:

Both bases are similar in design and feature 3 buildings: Refinery, Barracks/HoN and WF/Airstrip

01.jpg

Each base has two tunnel entrances. one near Bar/HoN and another near WF/Airstrip.

02.jpg

03.jpg

The refinery is hidden behind a big stone wall to prevent arty/mrls whoring.

04.jpg

Tiberium field is located near the refinery (like Islands) for faster cash flow

05.jpg

Bases have one vehicle entrance at front that splits into three ways going to each building.

It may make the map a little campy, but that's kinda what i wanted since i wanted to focus more on infantry with tunnels and different buildings.

06.jpg

BTW Airstrip is a pain in the ass! first i had it the other way around. but the plane was going through the rock... so i had to rotate it and have it like this. still a wing goes through the rock but it's better than the whole plane going into it... the plane is too big for tight maps and remains near ground too much >.<

07.jpg

I also plan to make a night time version if/when everything goes smoothly with this version.

And... the beta1 version of the map is finally ready. i've fixed anything i could find but it still has not been run on a server so i'm not sure if the mutator works fine and there could always be grasses/rocks flying in the air...

Download Links:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ccacd ... _Beta1.zip

http://galaxy.us.to/map/CNC-Fort_Beta1.zip

http://galaxy.us.to/map/CNC-Fort_Beta1.rar

Notice: to run the mutator with the map, make a shortcut to your UDK.exe like this:

"Path/to/UDK.exe CNC-Fort?mutator=RenX_nBabMutators.Fort"

Edit: I've taken down the download link while i fix something i missed... will be back up soonish.

Edit2: It's back up now.

Edit3: List of things that have been changed/fixed since this release:

- Cascade Distribution Exponent of the Dominant Directional Light changed from 1 to 4. (it was causing blocky shadows)

- Fixed Vehicle Rollout Nodes of Weapons Factory. (they were a little too far apart and vehicles were stuck on the pad and couldn't navigate to them)

- Fixed Flag change Kismet not working in Server mode and spamming logs. removed the kismet and all the code is done through the mutator now.

- Fixed a bug with The Medical Center that allowed players to have more than 150 health.

- Reduced number of indirect lights from 3 to 2 and disabled the sky light to make the map a little darker.

- Changed harvester harvest time and credit dump values for a little slower credit gain.

- Added vehicle blocking volumes for weaponsfactory.

- Fixed the lighting of the tunnel between fort's bunker and lower floor. (it was black before)

- Added cloud shadows to the map.

- Added a better fog.

- Added fly particles.

Edited by Guest

It works for me. and i tried extracting the file on the server and it works fine there too;

rar.jpg

Please try redownloading the file, maybe you've got an incomplete/broken download.

Since i've made many changes and specially because the scripts were not working properly before, i'm releaseing a new version, Beta 2.

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/iehl3 ... _Beta2.zip

http://172.245.10.199/map/CNC-Fort_Beta2.zip

Mutator Source Files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bdoai ... _Beta2.zip

http://172.245.10.199/map/RenX_nBabMuta ... _Beta2.zip

Change List:

- Cascade Distribution Exponent of the Dominant Directional Light changed from 1 to 4. (it was causing blocky shadows)

- Fixed Vehicle Rollout Nodes of Weapons Factory. (they were a little too far apart and vehicles were stuck on the pad and couldn't navigate to them)

- Fixed Flag change Kismet not working in Server mode and spamming logs. removed the kismet and all the code is done through the mutator now.

- Fixed a bug with The Medical Center that allowed players to have more than 150 health.

- Reduced number of indirect lights from 3 to 2 and disabled the sky light to make the map a little darker.

- Changed harvester harvest time and credit dump values for a little slower credit gain.

- Added vehicle blocking volumes for weaponsfactory.

- Fixed the lighting of the tunnel between fort's bunker and lower floor. (it was black before)

- Added cloud shadows to the map.

- Added a better fog.

- Added fly particles.

- I'm using preview light quality with precomputed visibility turned off for now because it takes forever to build lights. once it's greenlit and everything works properly i'll build with production quality.

Edit: Added another download link for the map and mutator source files.

Edit 2: List of changes since this release:

- Fixed silo health being lower than normal (forgot to increase it after lowering it for testing purposes...)

- Fixed a flying rock between bar and ref.

- Fixed a bit of landscape that was visible from silo tunnel.

- Fixed GDI Harvester path nodes.

- Fixed the weird shadow on the silo tunnel near the silo door.

- Slight fix at the wf pad where the landscape had sharp edges.

- Slight fix, a gun on a crate at fort was flying.

- Added 3 hud icons each for a tech building that will change color when the tech buildings are captured for easier tracking of which team owns which building. (more info will be posted at beta 3 release post)

- After looking at lighting of official maps like Islands and Lakeside, i've changed number of whole scene dynamic shadow cascades to 1. it makes the shadows a little bit blocky but gets rid of the shadow lines on buildings and rocks and i think it's worth the trade off.

- Added fire sound to the burning vehicles.

Edited by Guest

This looks stunning... Well done nBab!

Thanks, I'm glad you've liked it. hopefully some day when all the bugs are ironed out it can be added to the game so everyone can play it :P

There have been a few bug fixes and specially because of the newly implemented tech building hud icons and the night version, i'm releasing beta 3.

Download Links:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wd24t ... _Beta3.zip

http://172.245.10.199/map/CNC-Fort_Beta3.zip

Mutator Source Files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mz0y7 ... _Beta3.zip

http://172.245.10.199/map/RenX_nBabMuta ... _Beta3.zip

Change List:

- Fixed silo health being lower than normal (forgot to increase it after lowering it for testing purposes...)

- Fixed a flying rock between bar and ref.

- Fixed a bit of landscape that was visible from silo tunnel.

- Fixed GDI Harvester path nodes.

- Fixed the weird shadow on the silo tunnel near the silo door.

- Slight fix at the wf pad where the landscape had sharp edges.

- Slight fix, a gun on a crate at fort was flying.

- Added 3 hud icons each for a tech building that will change color when the tech buildings are captured for easier tracking of which team owns which building. (more info will be posted at beta 3 release post)

- After looking at lighting of official maps like Islands and Lakeside, i've changed number of whole scene dynamic shadow cascades to 1. it makes the shadows a little bit blocky but gets rid of the shadow lines on buildings and rocks and i think it's worth the trade off.

- Made a night version of the map.

- Added fire sound to the burning vehicles.

------------------------------------------------------------

Tech building icons are located at the left side of the screen:

04.jpg

They will change color to Neutral, GDI or Nod depending on which team is holding the building:

05.jpg

Here are some screenshots of the night version of the map:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Edit: Btw the repair tool is only available for purchase if your team is holding the medical center. it's like that since beta 1 but i keep failing to mention that >.<

Edit 2: Change list since this release:

- Fixed the mutator spamming the logs on other maps.

- Fixed places you could get stuck between rocks and the walls around base entrances.

- Made a better end game cinematic sequence.

- Added lens flare to tiberium fields.

- Added collision to the big middle tiberium crystals in tiberium fields.

- Added some containers/prop to bases.

- Slight fix, fixed a rock near airstrip.

- Adjusted the path nodes for GDI harvester again.

- Changed the tech icon location to the bottom of the screen and in a similar size/style to building icons.

- Fixed a spot you could get out of the map from.

- Added vehicle blocking volumes to containers to prevent vehicles from going on top of them.

- Overall raised the height of vehicle block volumes in the map. (no more flying stanks :P)

- Made a better minimap for the day version and new one for the night version.

- Made the night version darker overall.

- Adjusted the wf ramp to prevent getting stuck there.

- Fixed the mutator adding health on other maps(doesn't run on other maps anymore).

- Added lens flare for the sun in the day version.

- Built light with precomputed visibility.

- Slight fix, a flying rock near weaponsfactory.

Edited by Guest

That icon would be nice to have on all silo maps indeed. When you haven't been keeping track of what's been happening at the silo you now need to either check your credit tick rate (but no telling if it's neutral or enemy when you have normal income speed), or go check at the silo itself. And the map looks nice btw!