C&C Paradise

DoctorAnubis

On 4/4/2019 at 9:29 PM, DoctorAnubis said:

Hello! Only returned for a few days, tomorrow I hope to send this to someone who can build production lighting as I won't have the time to do that myself

Amazing, DoctorAnubis!
It's absolutely stunning.

16 hours ago, Sarah. said:

Map is too big (file and actual size), map is full of gimmicks, map is FAR too expensive in resources (you basically have to use x64 or it crashes), map downloading isn't really supported, building shaders takes quite some time for people as well. Those are a few of the reasons.

9 hours ago, Fffreak9999 said:

The main issue is that the majority of servers (FPI and CT) run in a Marathon mode, and this map plays more like a mini-game hub than an actual [Command and Conquer] Mode map.

I have stated in the past, I would be willing to host the map on a server if these areas where distractions exist were sealed off so the only objective is to play the map as a C&C Mode map.

In terms of having to run in 64 bit, that will not be much of a concern for much longer, once the updated launcher comes into effect and offers the 64 bit as an option.

Having to download the map and do initial shader loading would be a detractor for many people the first time, they have to do it. Many wouldn't sit through the download if they only download at 2-3Mb per sec and think the game is broken when trying to build shaders, since it wouldn't respond during that time.

However if the adjustments I suggested are made (Sealing the areas off), then I would have no issue at least offering it as an option.

Solutions, solutions...

Shading issue: Loading screen with hint, and/or have the launcher warn the user upon clicking 'Join'.
Map downloading: Use the launcher to pre-transfer the map upon clicking 'Join' to avoid channel-download malfunction. *

Desire to make it all work increases when there's enough people in the server. FOMO and such.
I (still) think it may be a good idea to code a minimum playercount before the map becomes votable.

Call the map "Paradise-XL".

Also, I'd say: Definately no need to do away with all the fun spots, minigames, and spawning events and such.
Just fork the map so that we have a Marathon-compatible one, and then another one, say, "Paradise World", in which there are no limits.

As the Ren-X community grows, "Paradise World" could become a nice side-dish.
As people already know it from the marathon-map "Paradise-XL".

* I just downloaded this map with the client through the redirect at 40-50Mbit/s. Took me about a minute.
People with slower connections apparently still choose to download several gigs of standard Ren-X files. They must be pretty used to it.

Guest once upon the time

It's a pity if some Gimmiks are closed, but we never used them at events.

The events were always geared to competition, teamwork and fun.

The gimmicks were actually shown only for new players as excursion destinations.The new players should see what potential is in this game.
For us it is important that we can create new gamemodes like : go boating and flying and so on.

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, DugeHick said:

* I just downloaded this map with the client through the redirect at 40-50Mbit/s. Took me about a minute.
People with slower connections apparently still choose to download several gigs of standard Ren-X files. They must be pretty used to it.

DId you join from launcher? It doesn't work if you choose that map and you don't have it downloaded. It will disconnect you.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:33 PM, Sarah. said:

DId you join from launcher? It doesn't work if you choose that map and you don't have it downloaded. It will disconnect you.

Nope. No launcher.
Tried it again just now @ CT Testing. Goes at full speed.

Afaik there was some kind of technical issue that sometimes the redirect worked but other times it reverted to channel-download somehow.
That was a real showstopper as people had to open their browser to download the map and manually install the thing.

Idk if that has been fixed, or that I just had a lucky streak.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:03 AM, Sarah. said:

map is FAR too expensive in resources

On 4/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, SilentKnight said:

Thx, this shows that the map is improved.

Performance issues may still be a valid point.

Imagine switching 64 people into a game which 24 can't run.
That's not cool.

The 7970 has been a while ago that I tested that.
And it's not the worst of cards either.

The Q6600 now I'm not sure anymore, could've been on my 3930K already.
Human memory.... Ugh. No ECC on it.

We'll have to see this-the-go.
And perhaps further "undress" the Marathon edition, should significant performance issues still arise.

Guest once upon the time

Hi CoreDefender,

so far I know you get this message only on Single player. @Fffreak9999Freak knows more.

Map is runing on CT and Try-Outs Server without any issues.

Downloads and shading are fast (shading faster than before). Some ppl crash by 32 bit version, so using 64 bit version should be better.

The ppl who test yesterday on Try's Server said that the improvement is really visible.