Wiki Needs More Contributors!

Agent

For the last few days, several developers and moderators have been working on a new wiki for Renegade X.

Since we've got a few basic articles made now, we're presenting the new wiki for Renegade X: http://renx.wiki/ (alternatively: http://wiki.renegade-x.com/, http://renegade-x.wiki/, or http://renegadex.wiki/).

However, we need more contributors! The wiki is still missing many articles, and input from the community at large is greatly appreciated. Anybody should feel free to contribute -- nothing special is required to create or modify articles, because this is an entirely open wiki.

Here is a brief overview of what we need/want in the wiki.

Content we need:

* Maybe a little more content on the 'Main_Page'?

* "Renegade X" - Introduces a player to Renegade X

* "Characters" - Brief overview of all of the character classes in Renegade X

** Aliases: "Classes", "Units"

* "Vehicles" - Brief overview of all of the vehicles in Renegade X

** Aliases: "Tanks"

* "Buildings" - Brief overview of all of the buildings in Renegade X

** Aliases: "Structures"

* "Weapons" - Brief overview of all of the weapons/items in Renegade X. Explains beacon mechanics.

** Aliases: "Beacons", "Guns"

* "Levels" - Brief overview of all of the levels in Renegade X.

** Aliases: "Maps"

Content we want:

* A page dedicated to each character class; include HP, Armor, Armor Type, Faction, Strategy, Lore

* A page dedicated to each weapon; include Base Damage, Rate of Fire, Type (Projectile/Hitscan), Class name, Projectile class name, Damage Type class name.

* A page dedicated to each building; include Faction (GDI/Nod/Universal), Function/Purpose, Strategy

* A page dedicated to each level; include Mode, Buildings, Mine Limit, Vehicle Limit, Strategy, Lore

* "Community" - Lists significant/active Renegade X clans/communities, the developers, moderators, community developers, closed beta testers, and server owners.

* "Server Setup" - Explains how to setup a Renegade X server. Include a link to "Jupiter Bot" under "Server Moderation".

* "Jupiter Bot" - Explains what Jupiter is, how to use it, and how to set it up.

* "RCON" - Explains what RCON is, how to use it, and protocol details

If you require any additional information or have any questions at all, feel free to ask in this thread. Below are some frequently asked questions:

How do I create a new article?

Creating an article is simple. To start a new article, you can either click on a red link, or navigate to the page you wish to create and click "Create" near the top right. For example, if I wanted to create an article named "Agent is Awesome", I would simply navigate to http://renx.wiki/wiki/Agent_is_Awesome and click "Create" near the top right.

Can I get in trouble for changing content?

Only if you do so maliciously -- occasional misinformation is perfectly fine, but please fact check your contributions. Do not purposely vandalize the wiki, or you may be banned from editing the wiki (or worse).

What are the guidelines for adding images of buildings/characters/vehicles/weapons/etc?

Please upload an image of the model/mesh as viewed in the editor, NOT an in-game screenshot. In-game screenshots can be used as temporary placeholders, but will eventually be replaced with model screenshots.

I want an extension installed. Who do I contact?

You can contact me (Agent) by private messaging me on these forums, or replying on this thread. Be sure to mention the name and purpose of the extension.

Will this ever be available in-game?

Most likely not, as I'm not sure if this is at all practical to implement. I do however plan to at least look further into this at a later date.

What articles already exist?

Here is a link to a list of existing articles, including redirects: http://renx.wiki/wiki/Special:AllPages

What would be something I could work on?

Here's a link to a list of existing red links: http://renx.wiki/wiki/Special:WantedPages

• Totem Arts Staff

What are the guidelines for adding images of buildings/characters/vehicles/weapons/etc?

Please upload an image of the model/mesh as viewed in the editor, NOT an in-game screenshot. In-game screenshots can be used as temporary placeholders, but will eventually be replaced with model screenshots.

Would be better to use a transparent background model render on 3D application in 3Ds MAX, unless the background of the wiki will be changed, in which a white background would be prefered.

Just my opinion

I was thinking of making one detailed tutorial video for new players (kind of like the other ones already out there, but my own version). I can make the visuals and write a script for it and finalize the video, but I would need someone to do a voiceover for me.

Keep in mind that there is already existing Command and Conquer encyclopedia (I refuse to use term "wiki"), so there is no need to create new articles for non-RenX content, since it can easily be cross-referenced with articles that are already made.

There is also RenX article on main C&C encyclopedia, which we can update and expand by providing links/references to RenX encyclopedia.

Keep in mind that there is already existing Command and Conquer encyclopedia (I refuse to use term "wiki"), so there is no need to create new articles for non-RenX content, since it can easily be cross-referenced with articles that are already made.

Actually, there are two sites: http://www.renegadewiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

The one you mentioned covered mainly factual subjects, such as weapon stats, vehicles and whatnot.

RenegadeWiki (albeit not very professionally even though i can't blame them for the game's limited playerbase) covers a lot more tactics and strategies covering units, maps and others. Mainly opinionated matters. Sadly, bots seem to be a thing on this site, so a lot of irrelevant articles can be found there aswell... :/

I added a history section to the Renegade X page. Oh boy, this one cost way too much effort!

I've taken a look at some random pages and i like what's in it! I'll be rewriting some snippets of text though to sound a bit more professional, and to contain more information (no offense to the person who made it!!!)

I'll be working on a article next which covers C&C mode into detail, as well as some random articles explaing stuff like economy and whatnot.

Most likely not, as I'm not sure if this is at all practical to implement. I do however plan to at least look further into this at a later date.

Would you be able to create a static menu link to the wiki from somewhere within the game interface? Either at the main menu, options screen or loading screens etc.

Would you be able to create a static menu link to the wiki from somewhere within the game interface? Either at the main menu, options screen or loading screens etc.

Yes, maybe at a later date as this would be very easy to implement. Ideally I'd like for it to bring up some sort of in-game web browser, though UDK does not have one implemented/provided by default. So I'd end up having to DLLBind some code to do this, and that may end up turning into a rather massive project.

Also, I've added the link Zephyr provided to the FAQ in the original post.

Where can I find a tutorial on how to make the pages, make the links on the left side of the screen? etc etc..

It could be an idea to just copy and paste the code from a wiki page and analyse it. For example:

{{Infobox
|abovestyle = color:#750000
|above = Mammoth Tank
|image = [[File]]
|label2 = Faction
|data2 = GDI
|label3 = Function
|data3 = Vehicle
|label4 = Health
|data4 = 1500
|label5 = Armor Type
|data5 = Heavy
|label6 = Armaments
|data6 = Double Barrel 120mm Cannon & Tusk Missiles
|label7 = Seats
|data7 = 2
|label8 = Cost
|data8 = $1500
}}

This is the Mammoth tank info box. Every "label#" corresponds with "data#". "AboveStyle" is the color of the title above the image and "above" it the text in it.

If you just copy and paste and edit it from other pages you'll get a uniform style across the wiki.

Perhaps experiment a bit on a preview page.

• Totem Arts Staff
Where can I find a tutorial on how to make the pages, make the links on the left side of the screen? etc etc..

It could be an idea to just copy and paste the code from a wiki page and analyse it. For example:

{{Infobox
|abovestyle = color:#750000
|above = Mammoth Tank
|image = [[File]]
|label2 = Faction
|data2 = GDI
|label3 = Function
|data3 = Vehicle
|label4 = Health
|data4 = 1500
|label5 = Armor Type
|data5 = Heavy
|label6 = Armaments
|data6 = Double Barrel 120mm Cannon & Tusk Missiles
|label7 = Seats
|data7 = 2
|label8 = Cost
|data8 = $1500
}}

This is the Mammoth tank info box. Every "label#" corresponds with "data#". "AboveStyle" is the color of the title above the image and "above" it the text in it.

If you just copy and paste and edit it from other pages you'll get a uniform style across the wiki.

Perhaps experiment a bit on a preview page.

Schmitz is Dev now.

vO1sHmy.gif

Another one.

On topic, just hit edit on a page and copy it. Then just change what you want. It's pretty simple. Also Wikipedia has an extensive library of how to format pages

• Totem Arts Staff
Agent, is it possible to have the image in the infobox able to switch between GDI and Nod version? I'm thinking a bit of the one like in TF2 wiki

Give me a template to import, and you've got it.

Er never mind, I just looked up again and I think I got a bit derped there

Also, the 'View Source' button in their wiki doesn't seem to be that informative about the infobox, haven't looked further though

EDIT :

Ok, it seems that it uses some kind of switch along with flipbook (?) images in their '3D viewer'. I'm not looking to make the 3D viewer, but I think there's something here that can be seen.

Scout page's source (List of used templates on the bottom)

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/index.p ... ction=edit

3D team viewer template source

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/index.p ... ction=edit

{{3D viewer
 | {{#if: {{{fallback|}}}|fallback|null}} = {{{fallback|}}}
 | image-0 = {{{view1|}}}
 | image-1 = {{{view2|}}}
 | {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 2}} | 1 | image-2 | fakeargument}} = {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 2}} | 1 | {{{view3|}}} | fakevalue}}
 | {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 3}} | 1 | image-3 | fakeargument}} = {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 3}} | 1 | {{{view4|}}} | fakevalue}}
 | {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 4}} | 1 | image-4 | fakeargument}} = {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 4}} | 1 | {{{view5|}}} | fakevalue}}
 | {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 5}} | 1 | image-5 | fakeargument}} = {{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 5}} | 1 | {{{view6|}}} | fakevalue}}
}}
[[:File:{{{view1}}}|{{{view1name|RED}}}]]
[[:File:{{{view2}}}|{{{view2name|BLU}}}]]{{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 2}}| 1 |

[[:File:{{{view3}}}{{!}}{{{view3name}}}]]{{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 3}}| 1 |
[[:File:{{{view4}}}{{!}}{{{view4name}}}]]{{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 4}}| 1 |

[[:File:{{{view5}}}{{!}}{{{view5name}}}]]{{#ifeq: {{#expr: {{{number-of-3d-images|2}}} > 5}}| 1 |
[[:File:{{{view6}}}{{!}}{{{view6name}}}]]|}}|}}|}}|}}

[[Category]]

• Totem Arts Staff

We got more vehicles than we got more characters (just Soldier atm). So more character is always appreciated

Also, do we need to insert history section for them both?

And Gallery section too, start shooting those screenies

Also, do we really need http://renx.wiki/wiki/Credits? It seems to me that this is better inserted to Renegade X gameplay section

Please use as few abbreviations as possible on the wiki. I've already found myself going "...what does that even mean?" more than once. Also, "equipments" isn't a word. :P

I'll look into adding more templates (specifically info boxes) at a later date; I just don't have time to take a crack at them yet. I imported the InfoBox template directly from Wikipedia so that we'd at least have a basic box to work with (which seems to work for most of what we need).

I don't really have a problem with having a 'Credits' article, but I suppose we can poke at that again later. It'd definitely be good to maybe have a credits section on the CNC game mode article.

• Totem Arts Staff
Please use as few abbreviations as possible on the wiki. I've already found myself going "...what does that even mean?" more than once.

If you mean the word MCT, PT and whatnot, I try avoiding them

I also avoid any first/second person word such as 'you' unless it's Strategy. Although later on we might want to fix and avoid those words later on. I try to make this feel like pages of facts and theories

Also, "equipments" isn't a word. :P

*facepalm*

Okay, derpy me. *goes back to doing English assignments*

Yeah, you're probably right. Honestly I wouldn't mind if it just said 3, and specify a plant time somewhere.

Also, again thank you to everybody who has contributed! I'd like to especially thank the major contributors thus far: Zephyr, Handepsilon, YagiHige, and xD_ERROR_xD. :)

There's still plenty more work to do though. Don't forget that there's a list of red links here: http://renx.wiki/wiki/Special:WantedPages

• Agent unpinned this topic