CNC Assault, help needed!

Xuanne

Heya, I'm totally new to the SDK but I had a funny (probably stupid) idea and wanted to see if I could realise it.

Right now I only have a few hours in the SDK, and have been watching the first few of Kenz's videos (great vids btw). I'm at the video where he takes some materials from Goldrush and repackages them for his tutorial map. But when I try to do the same, I encounter 2 problems:

1) There is an error loading Goldrush in SDK

2) I cannot save my own package

nowip.jpg.cbbcb1b85784a41f6ba5c7eac5d97f0c.jpgassault.jpg[/attachment]

CNC-Assault is envisioned to be an amphibious GDI assault on a Nod stronghold in a small, mountainous island. Thus the map is asymmetrically created, with Nod having the advantage of an Obelisk and two turrets, while GDI only has 3 turrets around its base. However, the placement of silos and the tib field gives GDI an economic advantage. So it will be a race against time for GDI to defeat Nod, or can Nod hold out long enough to overwhelm GDI with a tank rush or SBH rush?

The dotted lines in the picture in the middle and the top represent tunnels. Obviously the tunnel leading to the Nod power plant will be of great interest to GDI, and so we can probably expect there to be heavy fighting in the tunnels at all times. The central tunnels also open up to the ridge above the tiberium field, where GDI has a positional advantage to shell the Nod refinery/turrets. The smaller tunnel at the top may allow GDI to sneak into the obelisk and take it out, opening up the Nod base for a frontal vehicular assault.

The tiberium field position is slightly biased towards the GDI side, so Nod will need to secure the tib field with vehicles and/or the bunker (which is slightly nearer to the Nod base). On the northern side of the GDI base will be one of those ramp walls, where units can only exit on one side (like in canyon). This means that Nod vehicles can only rush from the tiberium field, but GDI vehicles should beware that once they exit the base from this direction, they cannot go back! However, there is a ramp below the silo nearer to the GDI base that is accessible by infantry. The other silo is situated in a small valley that is shielded from the obelisk.

Should GDI attempt to assault the Nod base with vehicles, they face a daunting task either way. If they go via the tiberium field, they face an uphill struggle with a narrow ramp that is flanked by turrets, and the other path is covered by the obelisk.

Summary:

- asymmetrical map design with different GDI and Nod advantages

- GDI has fewer buildings and defences but has economic and positional advantage

- Nod has the obelisk and a well fortified position

Questions from me:

1) Is this building arrangement possible? To have different buildings per faction?

2) How do I solve that problem in the SDK? My SDK is not put in C:\, but in the same drive that RenX is in. I saved CNC-Assault.udk into the RenX maps folder, not the SDK one. I am using the SDK 32bit DirectX 9 latest version (just downloaded it today lol).

errors.jpg.b89c82f84b6e09ef84ec193cca311422.jpg

assault.jpg.c8d8290e1fdbe5b94f1dbb5e59d27008.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

If you want that material from goldrush you need to copy the material and the textures that are in that material. Then you need to change the locations of the textures. If you don't do that you can't save your package. If you want to use an MIC you need to change the parent

The goldrush error is something I did. Apparently it doesn't like the box I used from the sdk. I'll look at it or replace them.

Oh ok, cool.

Asymmetrical base is something I've already done in CNC-Coastal, it's possible. But don't try same buildings, except Obelisk

Sorry, what do you mean by 'don't try same buildings, except Obelisk'?

edit: just saw your map CNC-Coastal, looks awesome :o

If you want that material from goldrush you need to copy the material and the textures that are in that material. Then you need to change the locations of the textures. If you don't do that you can't save your package. If you want to use an MIC you need to change the parent

This wasn't covered in Kenz's tutorial though :S he simply selected the parent material + the material constant thing, made a copy and renamed it as his package and voila. As I said I'm super new to SDK to I have no idea what's going on :D (landscaping is fun though)

Not that I don't like kenz his tutorials, but I highly doubt that they cover the basics of the editor. I suggest you search for 3D Buzz on youtube and watch his series.

Using the SDK for renegade does not mean that the tutorials are renegade specific as well. Using this SDK is 99% about UDK and 1% about renegade. If you really want to understand what's going on and know what you're doing, there are plenty of decent tutorials on the interwebs that cover the UDK.

I know that 3D Buzz is a good one. Eat3D also had decent tutorials on UDK. Don't forget you have to invest some amount of time to get this to work, mapping isn't like, 'oh hey lets just do this in 5 mins'. If you want to get something done properly it takes time to learn the proces and logic of UDK.

I highly encourage you should watch them UDK tutorials and understand most of the principles first, I know most tutorials are based upon UT3 rather than RenX but the principle is the same, and that's the most important thing to understand.

If you have a grip on the logic and proces of the UDK you'll understand that doing stuff for RenX is just a matter of placing the right assets.. nothing more

Not that I don't like kenz his tutorials, but I highly doubt that they cover the basics of the editor. I suggest you search for 3D Buzz on youtube and watch his series.

Using the SDK for renegade does not mean that the tutorials are renegade specific as well. Using this SDK is 99% about UDK and 1% about renegade. If you really want to understand what's going on and know what you're doing, there are plenty of decent tutorials on the interwebs that cover the UDK.

I know that 3D Buzz is a good one. Eat3D also had decent tutorials on UDK. Don't forget you have to invest some amount of time to get this to work, mapping isn't like, 'oh hey lets just do this in 5 mins'. If you want to get something done properly it takes time to learn the proces and logic of UDK.

I highly encourage you should watch them UDK tutorials and understand most of the principles first, I know most tutorials are based upon UT3 rather than RenX but the principle is the same, and that's the most important thing to understand.

If you have a grip on the logic and proces of the UDK you'll understand that doing stuff for RenX is just a matter of placing the right assets.. nothing more

Alright, I'll check out those other tutorials when I have the time, thanks :D

• Totem Arts Staff
Asymmetrical base is something I've already done in CNC-Coastal, it's possible. But don't try same buildings, except Obelisk

It means, don't place two power plants, don't place two Hands of Nod, etc. But placing like.... two or three Obelisks is cool.

(Technical wise, not the 'omg unbalanced map' wise)

It means, don't place two power plants, don't place two Hands of Nod, etc. But placing like.... two or three Obelisks is cool.

(Technical wise, not the 'omg unbalanced map' wise)

Ohh ok nice, thanks

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk