Anyone play RenX on a Microsoft Surface Book?

djlaptop

I'm thinking of picking one up as my next laptop (the crazy expensive $3200 1TB one), but before I make such a huge financial commitment I want to see how it runs RenX. Yes, this game is THAT important to me. :o

Curious if anyone has tried RenX on an i7 Surface Book (with nvidia) and how it runs for them.

$3200? Damn, that's a lot!

Well, i don't have that laptop, nor do i have any experience with it but i do have a laptop with an i7 4700HQ, a Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M and 8 GB of RAM, and it works perfectly fine with me on maximum settings. I haven't actually looked at the framerate but it's smooth enough for me. It drops a little bit of frames ingame if there's a lot going on at the screen but it's never been very noticable to me personally.

If you want, you could look up the parts in your laptop on this website, and compare it to mine: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Benchmarks-Tech.123.0.html

It's a great website, i used it when i bought my own laptop and i'm quite happy with the results! :D

• 3 weeks later...

dj,

I have one and this pos is going back, there are too many problems and so far I have crashed this tab/lap at least 4 times.

Here are the main things that serverly pissed me off:

1) Mandatory microsoft email account to login in to the machine! You can't create a local account until after you have a hotmail or some other bs ms account.

2) The batteries only charge 1 at a time, there are 2 but every time it is plugged in you see a stupid message about how 1 battery is charging while the other is not.

3) I got the one with the nvidia gpu It will not run renx properly unless you crank the settings to low and run a silly resolution like 1680x900 or something.

4) Lastly, way way over priced. I will go back to my MSI Gt80 w/dual 980M cards, which I bought on ebay used for $2200.00 obviously a much more powerfull laptop but it runs ren like its nothing.

dj,

I have one and this pos is going back, there are too many problems and so far I have crashed this tab/lap at least 4 times.

Here are the main things that serverly pissed me off:

1) Mandatory microsoft email account to login in to the machine! You can't create a local account until after you have a hotmail or some other bs ms account.

2) The batteries only charge 1 at a time, there are 2 but every time it is plugged in you see a stupid message about how 1 battery is charging while the other is not.

3) I got the one with the nvidia gpu It will not run renx properly unless you crank the settings to low and run a silly resolution like 1680x900 or something.

4) Lastly, way way over priced. I will go back to my MSI Gt80 w/dual 980M cards, which I bought on ebay used for $2200.00 obviously a much more powerfull laptop but it runs ren like its nothing.

1) there should be an option in the setup of windows 10 to create a local account. It runs normal windows 10 so the option should be there. (Heck, every Windows 10 install I've done has is. Would be weird if the surface book had a custom Win10 that didn't allow this. Even a normal surface can do it.)

2) This is something I can't comment on, I dunno :P

3) Are you 100% shure you are using the Nvidia GPU? The Nvidia optimus program is stupid and can somtimes not detect if it needs to use the stronger GPU or the built in Intel one. This sounds like you are using the Intel GPU to run renx. Try right click->run with Nvidia GPU

4) It's pricey, can't deny that. Overpriced? I can't tell, haven't worked with one.

Perhaps this can help you :) Yes it is not a gaming machine but some of the points you mentioned should be fixable.