Grassy Knoll needs flying to stop long rang vechs

Alkaline!

Lol it doesn't need flying units. A map needs to be designed with that in mind from the start.

It's a bit too big and open on the tib field. The other path is too open as well. I'd recommend closing more of the map off with rocks near nod base as well. I like the fort walls they are just a bit too long.

In short, more rocks, more cover for vehicles, more chokepoints less open field for mrls to wreck anything that dares leave base.

Flying will not solve the issue.... as mentioned above, it's more the fact there are huge open areas to the sides of each base which straight away gives the advantage to GDI as there main vehicles are much more focused on ranged damage compared to NOD's flame tank and stealth tank, I think the tiberium field side should be left as it is, more of a GDI focused side and the silo side you make narrow so it splits into various smaller vehicle paths almost placing random tall/large rocks along this path to stop any ranged damage and then give NOD the advantage on this side as there flame tanks could push forward without getting raped at long ranges and same goes for stealth tanks.

Basically have a big open tib field for GDI one side and have a far more enclosed close range battle side for NOD on the silo side that would allow both teams to push evenly.

• 1 month later...

Coastal had so many fundamental problems I won't begin, but the fact that you had put a refil station in the middle of the map proves my point. The only way to travel a map that was 4x as big lakeside was to have choppers.

Your main issues were the 14 turrets, c-10 and other blunders including the 3 obelisks were on the map. I won't even begin to talk about the 5 power plans and 3 refs that nod had.

• 1 month later...

Yes. Lets put flying units in the map so the MRLS can shoot down all those apaches trying to leave the base; flying over the big open skyspace above the centerpiece of the map.

Meanwhile over at the GDI base with its 4 keen MRLS's the Orcas have come out to play and Nod are completely screwed because their Arty's are going down and the MRLS's are taking out the Apaches.

Maybe, just maybe, adding flying units was the worst possible implementation because GDI would potentially always be unstoppable.

If it was possible to just allow a transport helicopter then at least LCGs could paradrop onto MRLS and melt them down, likewise GDI could paradrop Gunners onto Arty's.

But other than that it's more of a geometry issue if long-range is such a problem.

Never had a problem killing artys and MRLS's with HumVees and Buggy's though.

Slight off-topic rambling here:

Grassy is a map that was never intended to be a full scale play map. It was my first project ever on the UDK (Not counting various attempts in Unreal Tournament 2004).

I created the map just to familiarize myself with the UDK. Before I knew it, the map was in the game without proper gameplay testing. Result: A poorly balanced map in favor of GDI. (I don't blame the RenX team for adding it, I wanted it to be in just for testing sake)

I'm trying to fix a lot of the issues. The map has had quite some iterations now. The latest version has a new vehicle path, more cover in the tiberium field, 2 turrets for Nod to counter the GDI gaurdtower, rocket emplacements for the team that captures the terminal on the hill and wall cover so you can shoot from the walls.

A lot of it is to help Nod in countering GDI attacks, but I can't do much more. Otherwise I have to change the whole layout of the map. In the end this means creating a new map.

A lot of things can be said about some of the playstyles on the map. Yes nod needs to do something else then they usually do -> sbh sneaking. Going full LGC on the mountain will keep GDI away as the vehicles can't hit you. But I know this requires a lot of coordination. (If you can even get there).

Overall, the map isn't great. I know. Try the new version and help me balance it further, but I'd rather see the map out of the rotation to make place for Arctic_Stronghold which has a lot of more gameplay optimisations(Also thanks to Ruud033).

Maybe if I have some time I will make a second generation Grassyknoll as I hear that people do like it in some way, its just the gameplay that isn't that great.

Keep in mind that the new custom maps aren't that proven as the old Ren maps we all love. Gameplay is a tricky part in every map to optimize. It takes quite some iterations before a totally new map will be good gameplay wise.

Goin on-topic:

Flying units will cripple the map beyond repair. Really... GDI will have en even bigger advantage than they already have. Nod vehicles won't stand a chance.

If hell freezes over, I'll implement flying vehicles. :cool:

Still I think it isn't that bad. Yesterday everybody complained about the fact is was / is a GDI map. Get 5 stanks, drive to the forest and kill off the WF and GDI loses it adventage. Never noticed one rush from Nod. I think this goes for every map with (even small) base defence: the map is a stalemate unless you actually teamwork.

Still I think it isn't that bad. Yesterday everybody complained about the fact is was / is a GDI map. Get 5 stanks, drive to the forest and kill off the WF and GDI loses it adventage. Never noticed one rush from Nod. I think this goes for every map with (even small) base defence: the map is a stalemate unless you actually teamwork.

I like the enthousiasm. Only one problem exists and that is you need to get out of the base. As GDI can pound the entrance of the Nod base quite hard in the current version, its hard to get out. The new version has some better defence mechanisms so you can keep them GDI bastards away while also having some cover.

But yes, teamwork is key on this map. More for Nod then for GDI.

But yes, teamwork is key on this map. More for Nod then for GDI.

And that's usually the problem, cause Nod has many solo SBH's. Removed a few mines yesterday and entered a building. Teammate SBH watched and didn't care we could kill it... Nod looks more solo orientated: sniping and sbhfest and people are soo used to it that they can't think different and thus come to a different approach to make them able to leave the base...