3D printing

Kalle Bowo

One step after another, first let me finish the base ^^

I already got the next project going, the Communications Center :) I modeled this one completely from scratch, taking the old CnC1 manual images for reference. Even though I managed to get the 3D model from the original Renegade (2002) game files, but to be honest, that model was fairly ugly :D So I decided to stick to the original design and add some details. I just need to figure out how to print that damn radar dish :D

radar2.jpg.a8891e52a2389654a2b9aa99ad32603a.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff
One step after another, first let me finish the base ^^

I already got the next project going, the Communications Center :) I modeled this one completely from scratch, taking the old CnC1 manual images for reference. Even though I managed to get the 3D model from the original Renegade (2002) game files, but to be honest, that model was fairly ugly :D So I decided to stick to the original design and add some details. I just need to figure out how to print that damn radar dish :D

WE NEED THIS IN-GAME NOW FFS!!!!

THIS WILL TAKE RENX TO THE NEXT STEPP

Guest Gliven

If you destroy the communications center it turns off enemy radar, but we should start another thread for such discussion.

I am loving these 3d models.

I would love to play an Axis & Allies style board game with these miniatures.

Haha, if you guys already like that crappy radar, wait until you see this ^^

I basically modeled the temple just for fun last year, a couple of months before I got my 3D printer. And honestly I probably have to remodel it completely :D First it's way too detailed for the scale of the mini base. Second I used some let's say not-printer-friendly-geometry ^^ Maybe I have to print the "legs" seperately as well ... But anyway, one step after another. I keep you updated :)

tempel.jpg.f62c2674bd6dba0ad97c5ed2ad4f23ab.jpg

Could you upload these models on the forums so mappers can do funky stuff with it?

Maybe. If there's really some interest, I could do that.

A C&C board game, it'll be hard to find real life friends to play with who know about C&C.

I actually just had to open a Facebook group to coordinate the play sessions because there were too many people asking to play my board game :D You should just wear a t-shirt with a huge Nod logo, when you go to a party, I bet there's a least one guy you never met before but who starts a conversation with you about C&C. It's really incredible how many people still know that stuff and are eager to share their memories of the "good old days" with you.

• 3 weeks later...

Not actually Command & Conquer, but maybe one of you is also looking forward to No Man's Sky ^^ I built that set based on a model which I found on thingieverse. I had to edit it heavily, though, cut it in printable pieces, remodel half of the thing. Made this for a colleague of mine who is pretty hyped for that game.

20160802_225605c.jpg.6ae21560939d4648f6de51a8c9ac3fcc.jpg

nms-ship02.jpg.93850c70b6e63fda8e584e6514009710.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Your 3D printed Communications Center looks much better than the current 'Communications Center Tech Building'.... which is way too small and looks nothing like the original Communications Center.

Yeah, just stop playing Ren X and come over, we play with my mini base instead :P

Alright, next little print: Omnomnom ...

sammler.jpg

• Like 1

Now get some Woodland Scenics / NOCH model trees, some rocks for cliffs, maybe some river sections and a few model farmhouses and build a complete map!

BTW, it's probably stated somewhere in this tjhread, but at what scale are these models printed at? Looks like 10mm/12mm/N-Scale or 15mm to me.

On 7/12/2016 at 0:21 AM, Kalle Bowo said:

Haha, if you guys already like that crappy radar, wait until you see this ^^

I basically modeled the temple just for fun last year, a couple of months before I got my 3D printer. And honestly I probably have to remodel it completely :D First it's way too detailed for the scale of the mini base. Second I used some let's say not-printer-friendly-geometry ^^ Maybe I have to print the "legs" seperately as well ... But anyway, one step after another. I keep you updated :)

tempel.jpg

+1 mappers demand.

Also when I was in high school I did Product Design [By accident] and came up with the idea to make a C&C 40k style table-top, your 3D printing is pretty much what I envisioned back when I was a kid.

As it stands, take the 3D printed pieces and apply them to the board game Risk.

Would be awesome. 

Right now by brain is already trying to create a ruleset of how a player would use all the building and unit pieces in a game of Risk. 

Edit: After reading the thread fully I see that the aforementioned tripe I put is pretty much what's been referred to by you already. All the best in your endeavors there, beware of the EA dream-killing machine.

Managed to get anywhere with the Temple of Nod?

Edited by Madkill40

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Madkill40 said:

ToN looks incredible! Very well done!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Madkill40 said:

If you ever want to do a C&C stop-motion video, I'll happily play some voices :D

Since I'm a motion graphics designer I would probably animate that stuff right with the computer instead of going the stop motion way. But If I ever need voices for such a thing, I will come back to you ^^

Edited by Kalle Bowo
  • Like 1

Just now, Detritus said:

They are beautiful... ^_^

Do the turrets on the flame tanks actually turn? :o

Nope, I glued the turrets and chassis together. That stuff is too small for a working mechanism. Or at least I'm just too lazy to come up with one. But I'm still planning to do a bigger version of the Mammoth Tank, maybe 10-14cm long or something, which will have a turnable turret und adjustable armored conduits. But I'm kind of finishing the mini base first as it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, this time there's no new print for you because I'm busy setting up a website to showcase all the miniatures I'm building. Nevertheless a nice side effect was that I needed a background image for a certain area and it turned out to be a nice wallpaper as well (2 color schemes, 2 sizes), so enjoy :)

PS: I'm letting you know when the page is done.

cheers,

Kalle

tempel-render-01-kallebowo.jpg

tempel-render-01b-kallebowo.jpg

tempel-render-02b-kallebowo.jpg

tempel-render-02-kallebowo.jpg

• Like 1

Hey folks,

thanks a lot for sharing my stuff on your facebook page! One more thing: My new website is online!

www.printed-armies.com

And if you want to follow me on Facebook or Instagram, please subscribe to

www.facebook.com/printedarmies

www.instagram.com/printedarmies

I will be posting updates on all those channels in the same manner as I did here in the forum. So basically everytime I've finished a new miniature. And if people demand I might also upload some work-in-progress-stuff or fail prints, cat photos, whatever :P Sharing is much appreciated :)

See you around!

Kalle

we-are-online-instagram.jpg

Edited by Kalle Bowo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, yosh56 said:

..... Can I throw money and get things in return though ? I can only imagine the looks I'd get with The Temple of Nod sitting on my desk at work. 

Abou the looks you would get, yep, from my own experience, I can guarantee that :D I have a small base on my desk at work as well, and the people really do recognize that stuff. One day, a colleague came by, he had a real close look at the miniatures, examining the whole thing very carefully ... a moment of silence ... and then he was like "You know, your base wouldn't work like this. You need to print out more Powerplants" :D:D:D

About "Throwing money at the screen": I am actually thinking about setting up a shop. But the idea isn't final though. If there are any news, I will keep you updated here in this thread.

By the way: New project! Can you guess what it is? ^^

workinprogress04.jpg

workinprogress05.jpg

Edited by Kalle Bowo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I wanted to redo the Powerplant for quite a while now. I finally did it (it's printing right now) and while I was on it, I made a design for the Advanced Powerplant, which was also still on the list. I'm not sure how the little pipe bridge between the two towers will turn out, but what should I say, I like to live dangerously :P

What do you think abou the design?

cheers,
Kalle

adv-pp.jpg

I was planning on putting an Advanced Power Plant in Reservoir when I started that map, didn't go through with it, you can still see the WIP on these first screenshots: https://renegade-x.com/forums/topic/73475-campc-reservoir/?page=1

Your design is nice too, It's more realistic that they're attached to the same base imo.

6 minutes ago, Henk said:

Your design is nice too, It's more realistic that they're attached to the same base imo.

I think so, too. Before working on the Advanced version I made a quick research. Even tho the 2nd tower was placed somewhere next to the main structure in the original TD version, Westwood had a concept for an Advanced PP for Renegade with the 2nd tower right where I placed it. There were even some folks who modeled the thing for Renegade a couple of years ago.

adv-pp-research.jpg

@ThommyK0104 Maybe :) I don't know if the models are good for gaming, since they have quite a lot of polygons. Also a lot of details are exaggerated to meet the minimal printing thickness. So all in all you probably still need to remodel my stuff. But still it might work as good foundation.

Furthermore I finished the Adv PP. Changed some stuff, but the concept remains all in all the same.

advanced-pp-1024x640.jpg

• Like 1