[Map] CNC-CliffSide

Redline

Its finally here!

Version 1.1 of CNC-CliffSide is ready to play.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nllW ... sp=sharing

I'm on standby for today & tomorrow ready to crank out version 1.11 with any gameplay fixes, balancing, glitch spots, or anything else to be taken care of.

Please provide screenshots.

KNOWN ISSUES:

-I still have to add tire track decals I just added a few infront of GDI WF for testing.

-End game camera is 50% finished and may be a bit short/glitchy.

-Piece of landscape to be smoothed in front of NOD cave entrance

-Harvesters get stuck after first load dump.

• Totem Arts Staff

You have to rebuild lights. I got a message that lighting needs to be rebuild

check also the .ini file. It don't have skirmish settings in it

Add this:

;Skirmish Settings
LastGDIBotItemPosition=3, 
LastGDITacticStyleItemPosition=0
GDIAttackingValue=75
GDIBotValue=12
LastNodBotItemPosition=3
LastNodTacticStyleItemPosition=0
NodAttackingValue=75
NodBotValue=12
LastStartingTeamItemPosition=2
StartingCreditsValue=150
LastTimeLimitItemPosition=6
LastMineLimitItemPosition=2
LastVehicleLimitItemPosition=0
bFriendlyFire=false
bCanRepairBuildings=false
bBaseDestruction=false
bEndGamePedistal=false
bTimeLimitExpiry=false

If you don't add it, the map will have a time limit of 5 minutes, vehicle limit 0, mine limit 0 and credits 0

The graphic representation for the map should still be possible using the map already. Meanwhile, some of those problems are glaring. Listen to me from experience, I actually have some experience with this when I tell you, if you choose to do soft-boundary instead of blocking-volume boundary, you need a complete perimeter of them, edge touching edge. I am posting a video below. It was used to diagnose them earlier, but "how to place them" is still relevant to prevent "infinite timer". Don't feel ashamed to make it blocking volume if it isn't flying btw.

Meh I can take care of all those issues in 2 hours tomorrrow. I'll get aggressive on the blocking volumes.

the bridge is intended for vehicles.

He meant that vehicles can get down into the silo area b/c there's no blocking volumes on the sides of the bridge. With all the tanks pushing and shoving in an actual game, it's very possible for them to accidentally drop down, and perhaps roam the inf tunnel while they're at it.

About the inf tunnels, I still feel they're a bit empty and boring. I'm not a big fan of long, flat alleys in any inf area. The boxes help a bit, but I think a little bit more can be done.

About the inf tunnels, I still feel they're a bit empty and boring. I'm not a big fan of long, flat alleys in any inf area. The boxes help a bit, but I think a little bit more can be done.

Re-arrange the boxes, to have left-cover, right-cover, left-cover, right-cover... then, have boxes in the middle but openings on left and right, then repeat the pattern. Then, at least "tunnel fights" have lengths of tunnel one can carry out a gunfight with.

Okay. Took care of the blocking volume issues. I will block the side of the bridge that goes towards the beach, but I will expand the existing vehicle dmg volumes that are on the silo side. I want you to be able to push enemy tanks off the side of the bridge and make them go boom.

Running some errands, but by this afternoon I'll push another version with the following changes.

1. More boxes & shit in the tunnels, not trying to pull an islands/field tunnels of constant sniper death.

2. Physics/hitboxs issues with tiberium crystals will be redone.

3. Blocking volume to prevent getting on plane tail

4. Watch yagi's tutorial on fixing soft boundries. I think I can still fix mine I just need to make it so you can't touch any of the edges or bottom by placing overlapping blocking volumes.

As soon as you have a new version out, please then upload it to http://maps.constructivetyranny.com/

You already have a username+password sent to you via PM

If you don't upload it there I'm not gonna add it to the testing server due to the new launcher we're developing which auto downloads maps.

Okay. Took care of the blocking volume issues. I will block the side of the bridge that goes towards the beach, but I will expand the existing vehicle dmg volumes that are on the silo side. I want you to be able to push enemy tanks off the side of the bridge and make them go boom.

Running some errands, but by this afternoon I'll push another version with the following changes.

1. More boxes & shit in the tunnels, not trying to pull an islands/field tunnels of constant sniper death.

2. Physics/hitboxs issues with tiberium crystals will be redone.

3. Blocking volume to prevent getting on plane tail

4. Watch yagi's tutorial on fixing soft boundries. I think I can still fix mine I just need to make it so you can't touch any of the edges or bottom by placing overlapping blocking volumes.

Overlapping can possibly be bad. The most effective way I found, is by snapping the vectors, from overhead, to have a thin seam side-by-side, in the shape of a trapezoid. That way, game knows if you are "leaving torwards the front" or "leaving torwards the back", and overlap is taken care of in code but if you go through too many overlaps and out it can still cause permanent-timer bug.

I suggest, start at one edge of your map, place a boundary volume. When you get to a corner, alt-drag to duplicate the boundary, and rotate 90 degrees or whatever you need to border the next edge of your map. You can do this with your whole map outline, ignoring the corners at first. Then, once you have 100% of the borders placed, go back to the corners where the boundary volumes meet. Then just do what my video showed on how to snap vertecies to grid, mind "world" mode and not local. You should be able to get the edges touching but not overlapping.

Yeah thats nice, but I'm not sinking more time into soft boundries. Maybe in v2 I'll add em. For now I just want to make this ready for gameplay. Compiling now :D

If they work, they work. If it's not a flying map, then for the love of jove just make blocking volume boundaries. I love how you put time and effort into mapping which I don't have time for if not talent for, but if the map don't work, Bananas is just going to be back in 2 hours with his list of flaws.

Another question: What are you compiling? Geometry is usually a quick build, and I don't believe you had to change lighting.

I need someone to go through the map and confirm there are no gamebreaking issues and that it is ready for release.

V1.4

Changelog:

-Improved lighting

-Tracktire decals on the main paths

-Lots of cosmetic changes to make it look pretty

-More terrain smoothing

-Tweaking blocking volumes

-Some other stuff ;)

Ruud went through the map with me and helped me optimize a few things. I truly feel this map is 99.9% done and ready for release.

Glacious you don't really need to redo the loading screen. Yagi you will probably want to redo the minimap with this or hopefully you did everything via layers in Photoshop so you can just replace the images.

Minimaps are an all or nothing situation. From top-down view, it is rather hard/impossible to get the zoom the same as it was if you change it at any time ever during the taking of the pictures. Including closing UDK. Not too hard to just retake the pictures, when I won't lie, I hadn't even started them yet. But they do all need to be taken all at the same time in the same setting.

However, I always use layers in PaintDotNet and save before compression, in case something in a minimap needs tweaked and I am not too fussed on the global accuracy of it as I can change it in a very small area very very close to the scale it should be.

One more thing, Tiretracks are "static decals" and Kenz3001 says they are bugged in-game like in Volcano and is turned off in default settings as they cause a performance plunge because of the bug. Not sure if that makes a difference, the tracks could be left in, IIRC they were never removed from Volcano.

V1.4.1

Changelog:

Fixed LOD on Trees

Added 1-2 blocking volumes to objects that didn't have collision

I have walked all edges of the map. Tried to get stuck everywhere. Used vehicles to test everything. Searched for all visual bugs. No more collision bugs. Landscape has been smoothed 1000 times, 1000 different ways. Let me know if you guys find anything.

Poked around again for a bit. Looking pretty nice, but:

1. Harvesters are completely broken. GDI harvy almost always gets stuck, and Nod harvy drifts off to the PP for some reason.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 851CD2124/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 0FCCD28B8/

2. Bike PT should include text specifying "recon bike" and cost, like the Titan PT on crash site.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... D5F9A4971/

I'll go through it a bit more later.

Hmm. Some landscape smoothing must have broken a node path. I'll go over it.

Odd I added that exact text. Will take a look at the kismet. It's 600 for a bike. Limit of 2 at any time.

Also aware of a material issue on a static mesh glacious pointed out.

The Nod Harvester comes in at a very tight angle. I noticed something was wrong when the harvester drove up onto the tib once. I couldn't recreate that issue but I know it exists. Might want to adjust harv path.

http://imgur.com/g4b3o5C

As Nod, you can hit every building except the barracks without the AGT shooting at you.

http://imgur.com/KXa4WdI

As GDI, you can hit every building without the Ob shooting at you.

http://imgur.com/JrPGi0w

If the base defenses can be adjusted, I think this will be an amazing map. Maybe even one of my favorites.

@Nappy

Thanks for checking out the map today. I'm considering restructuring the entire tib cave entrances. Make them more narrow (walls size) and make the angles for AGT/OB more like Old ren Mesa style.

I took care of those cosmetic issues, now I'm focused on gameplay. 2 Turrets for nod, only 1 guard tower for gdi seems fair. I'm thinking of sinking the AGT lower in elevation to make it easier to hit cave entrance I did something similar with the obelisk.

I'll have a MRLS/Arty testing session on the next version.

@Redline

Not a problem. I'm always down to help.

The map is beautiful. Probably the most promising map I've seen in a long time! There are some imbalances since the last release but, considering the map design, they should be easily fixed.

Honestly, I like the amount of space there. I would prefer it if maybe the entrance to there was expanded but maybe not in a usable way.

ex \ / rather then | |

Same usable space but allows coverage by the defenses. (just an idea)

Definitely add some turrets though! =)

Heavily modified the 2 vehicle path entrances to nod/gdi base. Lots of gameplay balancing, testing arty/mrls angles.

Also modified sneaky paths to make them more balanced.

3 Turrets for Nod. 2 GDI guard towers.

Hoping to push a new version sunday.

AWESOME! Really looking forward to the new release! I think your map has alot of potential. We should run a group test on it.

So I'm ready to upload a new version except I'm getting random blocking volumes when i am in a vehicle...

I remember someone else had problems with invisible walls, could it perhaps be from a rock or two nearby? Cliffside has many rocks...like volcano amount of rocks...

So I'm ready to upload a new version except I'm getting random blocking volumes when i am in a vehicle...

I remember someone else had problems with invisible walls, could it perhaps be from a rock or two nearby? Cliffside has many rocks...like volcano amount of rocks...

One problem someone else had was foilage and user error with it.

I personally had another problem with volumes themselves, and it requires first for you to move the edges/location/delete the blocking volume, and then rebuild geometry/possibly everything. I literally moved something myself, collided with it constantly trying to "make enough room", just for it to fix only when I rebuilt geometry when I hadn't moved anything prior.

I hope it runs slightly better than "Volcano" though, Volcano is on the fringe of "causes some server stress" and "causes crashes", as in it doesn't cause crashes but does cause the most noticeable server stress. Goldrush and Eyes were over that fringe.

check if you see the error:

brush #x has non-planar polygons. (or something like this)

After building geometry. Remove that brush or volume and rebuild.

This.

And, to do a visual inspection, change the view mode to zero extent and look at your volumes.

(drop down triangle top left, view collision, zero extent)

I always use that to debug, gets you to the faulty volume faster

Teaser video! (Using some of this footage as the Loading Screen).

Getting some resources from Yagi to work on my own minimap. Also going to use the experience as a way to experiment with full sized minmaps that take up entire screen. Going to try to create a template in photoshop or illustrator.

Will publish a new version on this post later today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright the map is done, but I havn't cut down the loading screen video I made or minimap.

See the link below for the most recent map version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byqqd ... XNmT1A5SDQ

Someone needs to recompile it I think. I hope someone takes up the mantel on this map as its 98% done.

I've grown a bit tired of Renx and have moved on to an Arma 3 Project Life Mod. I also started my own youtube channel

Obligatory marketing whore link to my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV2ZCQ ... ioboydUqFQ

I hope someone takes up the mantel on this map as its 98% done.

You're saying you're dropping development?

I think he is saying he is dropping development, but it should be done and functioning and he hopes if there are any bugs, hooks to endgame camera, loading screen, or minimap, that needs taken care of, that he hopes that it is small enough for someone else to take care of.

I am at least willing to do the minimap. Anyone else willing to test it for collision and endgame camera and such? I am willing to make a minimap. Then it can be compiled and submitted. If someone is willing to test collisions and other bugs, if they are small I or you can fix them, if they are big then we can consider options based on how much time it'd take and how much is complete.

The end game camera should be done.

The loading screen footage is done just needs to be cut from 30 seconds to 5-10. Easy just take the first few seconds of the video I included in the download.

The collision, boundaries, landscape smoothing, harvester paths, etc...we're all tested heavily already.

The minimap needs to be done, but I am too busy to do it.

It's not a sad day I've just lost interest in Renx for now as I purchased other games that I am trying to jump start a YouTube channel with.

The end game camera should be done.

The loading screen footage is done just needs to be cut from 30 seconds to 5-10. Easy just take the first few seconds of the video I included in the download.

The collision, boundaries, landscape smoothing, harvester paths, etc...we're all tested heavily already.

The minimap needs to be done, but I am too busy to do it.

It's not a sad day I've just lost interest in Renx for now as I purchased other games that I am trying to jump start a YouTube channel with.

Fuck the doomsayers bro. You are honored for the work you did do. If you need someone to see through the last bit of work and promote the map seeing the CT server in full action, I will adopt any additional work your map needs, starting with the minimap.

I will make sure to give you full credit, and let you rest easy with whatever you are currently investing your time into. I am sure it is worth it, and can only hope to see you play the occasional RenX still, maybe do a youtube video occasionally, maybe the PUG or when new updates or game mechanics come out.