CnC Frostbite

Madkill40

@kenz3001 @Ruud033 

Any idea why vehicles/harvester from the WF are spawning underground? 

No excess BSPs and no volumes are in the way and the WF has been replaced numerous times with geometry being rebuilt each time.

Alt-Drag to select potential invisible objects but there is nothing there to interfere. 

(I even found these random brushes which were doing nothing but surrounded the whole map and deleted them... O.o )

I am at a total loss as to what the heck is up with the GDI Weapons Factory vehicle spawn.

There ain't a tutorial which can help me out here.

• Totem Arts Staff

So, what you should do with a collision problem:

Rebuild your geometryand look at the map check. Maybe you'll get this error.

"StaticMesh Actor X has an invailid Draw Scale", that means one of the Scale numbers is 0. If that happens the mesh is invisible and the only thing you notice is a crappy collision in your map. Pretty easy to fix, just select it in your map check and delete it. After that, you should rebuild the geometry. The only tricky thing is, that you can't see the collision in the collision modes in the SDK.

5991b0e7196fc_Screenshot(26).thumb.png.90627cfb36fecb6a0249521374edfe94.png

(Map check CNC-Cliffside V 2.3 I think)

The second error like this was, because of using the pen tool. I think @kenz3001 showed it 1 time, when he made CNC-Beach-Head. Same thing like above, you can't see it if you are just looking with the collision modes.  You can find this error again in the map check. It is a warning, so if you have many warnings in your map, you need to search a little bit. Look for the warning "Blocking Volume X: Brush has non-coplanar polygons"

Screenshot_(93).thumb.png.4564c5b28cef3f5db5e45a0ca0a33684.png

(Map Check CNC-Forest V 1.6)

If you found that, remove the Volume, put a new one in and rebuild geometry, then it should be okay.

I don't know if that will help you or how much you already knewed, but well...

Good luck with fixing these things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Totem Arts Staff

built paths?... but i would need to see t by e map to find out what's going on... 

what was said above is most likely the colprit... but last time i seen your map I told you about all the artifacted volumes you had coz the volumes were to complex and had concave parts 

2 hours ago, kenz3001 said:

what was said above is most likely the colprit... but last time i seen your map I told you about all the artifacted volumes you had coz the volumes were to complex and had concave parts 

I tried to google this but to no avail, could you please type out a quick navigation of how to view 'artifacted volumes'? :) 

Changes as of August 16th:

• Ice-cave monster who was eating GDI's vehicles has been put back into his pen and is being fed appropriate scraps for bad behaviour
  • Collisions volumes have been rebuilt
  • DominantDirectionalLight replaced with DirectionalLight
  • Decorated map with foliage & wreckage
  • Culling Volume added
  • Cull distances implemented
  • Misc adjustments and changes
  • New Mini-map

Currently building map lights...

Edited by Madkill40
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What's New in Version 1_9

Released Just now

Changes 3rd January '20:

• Main base defences cover Tibfield base entrance
  • Main base defence range increased to trigger upon PP infiltration
  • Obstacles added to not leave Main base defences absolute aircraft killers
  • infantry and vehicle paths completed [just attention to detail in places required]
  • Tib cave exists and its pretty
  • atmosphere and weather modified
  • pathnodes exist
  • Capturable silo zones look lovely
  • the map snows, perhaps too much
  • infiltration in both bases exists hugely [but not easy]
  • destructible obstacles littered about the main veh routes in places
  • added volumes where necessary but for obvious aircraft reasons some veh volumes may have been missed out on
  • Misc changes that cannot be remembered over the past 2 years

Changes 3rd October '18:

• Interior of Radar dome completed
  • Weather added
  • Pathnodes for aircraft added
  • Reduced AA defences
  • Optimized lighting
  • Endgame cam added
  • Other optimizations introduced
  • Minimap added
  • Layout of map completed
  • Now in volume testing + minor tweaks here and there from here on out
  • Old 1.3.5 will still remain available for download, but that version is archived for good reason.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nod Harvester spawns and proceeds to get stuck by the Nod Refinery, doesn't even make it to Tiberium Field. Perhaps remove the rock near the ramp to clear a path.

Also the AGT being built up on a platform but the Obelisk not being on one is a little unbalanced. Hard for infantry to get inside AGT plus flame tanks might not be able to reach it.

Map looks seksi but plays piss poor tbh. Very little vehicle access and too many rocks that make your tanks have a movement fit.

Also the large destroyable rocks in front of the bases feel like they have a tad too much HP. I feel like most people would just go the back route.

Edited by crazfulla
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crazfulla said:

Hard for infantry to get inside AGT

You need a smoke, like with any AGT. Obby is much taller than AGT. But I think I may be able to make the AGT more accommodating for Nod and GDI, whilst making the AGT more ideal for GDI as well

Nod Harv had an odd Node thing, one of those "working fine before, one node moved and harvester is confused" 

Rocks have lots of hp because typically there'd be more than 1 player trying to get access to the harvester.

On 2/6/2020 at 5:36 PM, Madkill40 said:

You need a smoke, like with any AGT. Obby is much taller than AGT.

I'm talking about if Nod did a vehicle rush, made it to the foot of the AGT platform, they wouldn't be able to simply run around it and inside... whereas GDI can easily do that with the Obelisk. Of course if you are just infantry rushing then you will need something to distract or obstruct the defences.

Nod Harv had an odd Node thing, one of those "working fine before, one node moved and harvester is confused" 

The gap between the rock and the ref look kinda small though. Which is a theme accross the map... low vehicle accessibility.

Rocks have lots of hp because typically there'd be more than 1 player trying to get access to the harvester.

Yeah but I don't want to be shooting it for 2 minutes while the enemy is shooting me the entire time. So much effort just to riush the harvester, which is really only something people do at the start of the match, unless the harvester comes clear intop the field.

On 2/8/2020 at 5:53 AM, crazfulla said:

Yeah but I don't want to be shooting it for 2 minutes while the enemy is shooting me the entire time. So much effort just to riush the harvester, which is really only something people do at the start of the match, unless the harvester comes clear intop the field.

I get what you're saying, but that harvester path is also a route round into the enemy base for vehicles primarily

On 2/9/2020 at 7:27 PM, Harvester said:

in infantry only path middle map there is rock collision glitch. you can hide inside fully covered by rock.

Thank you for point this out, I also had a bit of reflection regarding tight spaces for vehicles and I have expanded areas of the battlefield for vehicles, given that this is a flying map the less Veh blocking volumes the better for aircraft too. 

The destructible ice boulders exist still but they're not blocking the route to the tib fields, should be interesting to see how play would work on the map - additionally optimization measures have been taken

• Landscape modification
    • Repainted
    • Tibfields rescaped
    • Secondary vehicle entrances rescaped
  • Lighting optimizations
  • Harvester Pathnodes
  • Map ready for playtesting
  • Minimap TBD

New screenz - I want to focus on shaping and molding the terrain so it is more optimal to play, the next step is to edit in finer details to give the player a sense of direction. For now, testers could do with finding what they deem an unfair advantage in a vehicle or with a unit [MRLS/Arty/Gunners/Rockets typically]

FrBt5.thumb.png.6d47bf97dc8f4a9771de9614757cccc4.png

FrBt2.thumb.png.e00ecf93e7c2404c60145e9421602125.png

FrBt3.thumb.png.a1f6a8aac29dc6ca615db0e0a364fa4b.png

FrBt4.thumb.png.bfff618a9130f015348837d65f11e65c.png

FrBt1.thumb.png.f20d0b757aea1393a682bc3a005f4504.png

Latest version currently released ^ 

Edited by Madkill40
  • Like 2

Looks a tad less confusing and obstructive, like it. I saw a lot of gunners being used when playing it the other day, so maybe consider checking the lines of sight on the Nod base. Remembering Nod doesn't have an advanced rocket class (though they do have SBH who are pretty decent at sneaking up on and ganking gunners).

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2nd to last update [I hope]

• Central infantry paths reduced
  • Central Vehicle paths increased
  • Map overview now has more clarity for direction
  • Maximum height has been reduced [Flying vehicles can no longer go as high up as the Radar Dome]
  • Landscape textures have been resprayed
  • Outer vehicle paths removed
  • Outer infantry paths expanded
  • Tiberium fields reduced 
  • Harvester tiberium navigation moved slightly closer to the center-zone of the map
  • Capturable silo outposts now feature a helipad specifically for repairing aircraft
  • Both bases now include repair facility, team silo and a helipad
  • Both bases have been redesigned to have a variance in landscape levels
  • Some areas now have damage volumes which will hurt infantry when on top of a rock when they should not be up there [Its slippy on those rocks] - WIP (More rock tips will feature this lovely volume)
  • Static meshes have been placed to disable B2B and also to prevent ruddy Gunner's shooting from across the entire length of the map
  • Minimap has been updated, but a final, pinpoint accurate draft to come on finalized version [Including visibility of the underground bridge]
  • Vehicle blocking volumes now prevent vehicles from spilling into the infantry-only cave
  • There are a lot more rocks, however due to the map filesize Frostbite currently is, and for the sake of beautification this may be reworked for optimization]
  • Misc changes here and there.
  • Finalized version of Frostbite to come after the next playtest [At.Long.Last.Geezus.]