[MAP] CNC-Arctic_Stronghold

Schmitzenbergh

• 3 months later...

Ruud, we just discovered a major bug with the AGT on your map (testing Beta 5.2). The AGT was destoyed while it was EMP'd, however, after the EMP effect had gone, it started firing and killing enemies again. Its status was still destroyed but it acted as if it was alive.

f77e0c497079001.jpg

Being a native German speaker I can also tell you that the German part on the tiberium warning sign is not 100% correct grammar-wise, if you're interested in fixing that I'd be happy to help.

Not sure if anyone remotely cares, but here's how the German part of the sign should read (changes are underlined): :P

[VORSICHT]

Tiberium (-feld) gibt schädliche Strahlung und Gase ab.

[Nähe zu Tiberium ohne richtige Sicherheitsausrüstung wird nicht empfohlen.]

[Handhabung nur durch Fachpersonal!]

EU Gefahrstoffklasse: T+ (sehr giftig) 1C+ (20 Sekunden) Carc. (Gruppe 1A)

(Direktes Bloßstellung Aussetzen wird führt zu Strahlenkrankheit, schweren Verbrennungen und schließlich letztlich die der Kristallisierung von lebenswichtigen Organen resultieren.

Not sure if anyone remotely cares, but here's how the German part of the sign should read (changes are underlined): :P
[VORSICHT]

Tiberium (-feld) gibt schädliche Strahlung und Gase ab.

[Nähe zu Tiberium ohne richtige Sicherheitsausrüstung wird nicht empfohlen.]

[Handhabung nur durch Fachpersonal!]

EU Gefahrstoffklasse: T+ (sehr giftig) 1C+ (20 Sekunden) Carc. (Gruppe 1A)

(Direktes Bloßstellung Aussetzen wird führt zu Strahlenkrankheit, schweren Verbrennungen und schließlich letztlich die der Kristallisierung von lebenswichtigen Organen resultieren.

Haha thanks, I'll see if I can look for the PSD somewhere and change the texture on this.

I think the refineries are a bit too vulnerable to sneaking. Because it's very easy to get by the base defenses without being hit, and as far as I have seen not a lot of people use that path to get into the field, so less chance of getting caught by someone who is coming out of their base.

The EMP cannon is cool, but I'd like it if there was some sort of cue to know when you can use it, or when someone else on your team has used it so you know you can almost move in. You can't see the emp cannon on every path so you can't see it charging. (is the audio radius big enough to hear it though?)

The endgame camera is a bit too fast.

And lastly, I like the fog/mist field in the low path, but it starts so abruptly if you know what I mean.

Maybe you can make the fallof a bit longer, and/or add some fog particle effects, so there's some height difference to the edge of the fog/mist.

The map, as it is now, is broken, as far as I am concerned.

Reason: NOD artillery can hide behind the rocks next to their base entrance, shell AGT, and can't be harmed because GDI has to go around the rock... which means getting into the path of the Obelisk. I'd consider this base-to-base firing.

Reason: NOD artillery can hide behind the rocks next to their base entrance, shell AGT, and can't be harmed because GDI has to go around the rock... which means getting into the path of the Obelisk. I'd consider this base-to-base firing.

Played the map yesterday for a good 55 minutes. I discovered many attack rounds and both teams lost some stuff before it eventually ended. Wouldn't consider the map broken.

- EMP could use a better indication

- EMP last short (too short when you find out it's going to fire to get any action going)

- FOG, as Henk mentioned, is indeed very tense suddenly

-

Generally I like the map!

The game crashed for everyone after both refineries got destroyed. Twice. We restarted the map after everyone got back into the server, the same thing happened as in the first match, GDI ref got killed, then the Nod ref, and then it crashed. The game was going on but all the players crashed, the map didn't reset.

That both refineries died in 2 consecutive games on this map also proves my point about those buildings being too vulnerable on this map.

Played the map yesterday for a good 55 minutes. I discovered many attack rounds and both teams lost some stuff before it eventually ended. Wouldn't consider the map broken.

- EMP could use a better indication

- EMP last short (too short when you find out it's going to fire to get any action going)

- FOG, as Henk mentioned, is indeed very tense suddenly

-

Generally I like the map!

Thanks. I did notice some baserape from arty's in the tib field.. will do something about that.

The EMP cannon's kismet is out of place it seems.. it acts weird so to say.

I agree on the disable duration, might crank this up a bit..

And the fog, is tweakable I think. Good tip.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to see that it plays so well in general, Schmitzenberg and me really put effort into designing the gameplay on this

Regarding the EMP-cannon, it would be nice, if there would be an icon which faction possess it like the ones for the silo and communication center on other maps.

And maybe a countdown to see the time till it fires off.

Apart from that I like the map. :)

Regarding the EMP-cannon, it would be nice, if there would be an icon which faction possess it like the ones for the silo and communication center on other maps.

And maybe a countdown to see the time till it fires off.

Apart from that I like the map. :)

The icon could be a bit hard as this is a 100% custom tech building (It's not in the base game). Perhaps some textual feedback or something could do (or maybe some yellow/red beacons near the EMP).

Countdown was discussed, but it could give the opposing team a big benefit as you'll know when to camp in base. If we can create it for the team that owns the building, we might implement it.

First on the schedule is the long range bombardment on the AGT, fog and general EMP cannon issues like the cabal/eva messages not playing correctly.

But I'm glad you like the map! :D We'll look into your feedback.

In my view you guys really did a great job regarding balancing. Yes, Nod can hit the AGT with arties from just outside their base (as Cherno said), but GDI can hit the Obelisk/Nod PP with Gunners from just outside their own base, too. Quinc3y got GDI to make a Gunner rush yesterday, Nod PP went down in no time, because they did not expect it. This option certainly counters arty spam well.

From what I've seen so far, the matches have been pretty even, with both sides winning a more or less equal amount of games, so again, great work!

In my view you guys really did a great job regarding balancing. Yes, Nod can hit the AGT with arties from just outside their base (as Cherno said), but GDI can hit the Obelisk/Nod PP with Gunners from just outside their own base, too. Quinc3y got GDI to make a Gunner rush yesterday, Nod PP went down in no time, because they did not expect it. This option certainly counters arty spam well.

From what I've seen so far, the matches have been pretty even, with both sides winning a more or less equal amount of games, so again, great work!

Nice, good to hear :D

the main issue right now is the crash... because of this Bong is not running it on the CT server which is sucky because I usually play there, reason: Crash, Henk thinks its when both refs are destroyed, possibly but not sure, if so I'm sure it it is an easy fix because this is not a reason for the game to crash.

Some ppl complained about FPS, I'm spoiled and just upgraded my 980SLI rig to a 1080GTX sli rig with 72GB mem and raid 0 1tb SSDs so for its ok, however I'm only getting about a steady 75 fps :P @ 1080 where as other maps I usually range in the 130s.

Of the things I see is Ruud's hatred for refineries, both on Crash site and this map you have made it easy entry to the ref. WHY? Why you hate refineries so much :mad: I think a guard tower towards the rear would be good or angle the ref so its not an easy stroll into the ref.

That or swap the ref with a power plant, this way it won't turn into a stalemate once both refs are gone.

Also had the crash with both REFS up, sofar I couldn't find a proper reason for it.

I Guess this has more to do with the DDOS attacks lately. I couldn't find a proper reason why this map would crash.

I've added a lot of logging stuff to the kismet, so if it crashes again we can see where.

Also fixed some landscape, floating rocks and increased the offline-duration of the OB and AGT from 30 to 45 seconds.

Also made it harder to B2B with arty's from the Nod tib field

Also had the crash with both REFS up, sofar I couldn't find a proper reason for it.

I Guess this has more to do with the DDOS attacks lately. I couldn't find a proper reason why this map would crash.

Personally I doubt that Ruud. I am not an expert, but once it happened on Cronus server (MPF) and I asked him to check the logs for info / DDOS and he found neither. The same happened with the City4All server. In the past week since Beta 1.50 ~ 1.53 I've never had a crash afaik, but only on your map.

Lets hope it's just coincidence.

• 2 months later...

so... you've fixed a Nod arty b2b spot? *lol*

what about this:

7ef9cd812bc04289ba4c8b2c0c8f27f3.png or

98555bc91d1942cbbc2bbd57a9282c8d.png

was the arty spot INSIDE Nods base? no. it was outside. ergo: no base-to-base.

was it a glitch? - no.

Nod was simply using the projectile physics of an artillery.... this is the way how artilleries work! shoot in the air and wait for the projectile to hit ground again.... (better to calculate ballistic trajetory in the first place though...^^)

Other examples:

93d15d6e27014477b05892b83098df56.png Canyon... Wall in front of GDI bar is no cover against arties...

03d3f9defdcc4c7d9182311a2320313e.png Fort... same principle with WF

and many other maps.... e.g. Xmountain... hit bar or ref from lower field (over BUNKER)

### Edit: ###

00cbcfa82c814a5daeede40b7464aa4b.png soft border countdown behind HoN never stops... you'll die in Nod base :-/

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• 1 month later...