Renegade X - in Squad

Sibercat

Recreating Renegade X - in Unreal Engine 4

So i have been play around with the Squad Devkit, they pretty much have every system that you need for Renegade X - 

August 28, 2017 - [UE4] Squad:

August 13, 2017 - [UE4] Squad:

August 11, 2017 - [UE4] Squad:

Starting to learn how to do weapons to Squad. Somewhat got the AutoRifle from RenegadeX working

August 09, 2017 - [UE4] Squad:

RenegadeAutoRifle.jpg

August 04, 2017 Part 4 - [UE4] Squad:

Jul 30, 2016 Part 3:

Dec 25, 2015 Part 2:

Dec 4, 2015 Part 1:

Edited by Sibercat
  • Like 1

Why not focus on getting Ren-X working great in UDK first? What is the benefit of a newer environment. Ofcourse it will look better and have more options, but it will take a long while to realize and before that UE6 might allready be there. I rather have the current game with more maps, fixes and balance changes than a one made on UE4 which looks slightly better, or is it just me?

• Like 2

Yea imho the difference from UE3 to UE4 isent as big as it was from UE2 to UE3, especially since UE3 got a big update in the lighting department a few years after UE3 initially released. Still it's very interesting to see this comparisons and if the author of this wants to pave and test the way to a UE4 version that's nice. But the dev team will keep focusing on the playability of the UDK version before considering UE4 for the medium graphical update. Besides graphics I can't think of something the game would really gain from UE4 at this point. Also cause besides the new UT there isent really a UE4 MP shooter type game yet as far as I know, especially not with vehicles. A lot of UE4 is still unproven and under development. Meaning that if a game like this starts with UE4 right now you will probably have to come up with a lot of your own solutions to vehicles, UI etc that you can probably throw away later and start from scratch once more stuff like that is figured out and integrated in the base UE4 code itself.

So experiments with UE4 and with converting stuff to UE4 are certainly interesting and helpfull to gain experience with it, but I wouldn't expect RenX to be shifted to UE4 anytime soon.

Well it's nice! You have my blessing go ahead and bring it to life on UE4 :)! I'd even play Ren again if you do that just to see how it is. But my blessing isnt the teams blessing, so if you have to use some of the assets, please talk to them.

As for RenX team I don't think anyone has the motivation to develop something that big (again) from (nearly) scratch.

Hey there Pr0eX :)

As for RenX team I don't think anyone has the motivation to develop something that big (again) from (nearly) scratch.

Not much motivation cause the graphical difference isent huge. UE3 can still look good and will still be relevant for a long time. Also the issue is time. You know it all too well. Like yourself, most of the dev team members now have fulltime jobs and family and stuff which resulted in atleast parttime inactivity from all of us. We grew up. To start from scratch would also mean to have to find a number of new devs that are students again and ideally have no friends and no family so they have the time :D

And with each new engine it gets harder to produce stuff that matches with big commercial titles, especially for the artists as everything becomes more detailed. This is why free total conversions, like you had quite a few for games like UT and BF 10 years ago, already pretty much died in the last generation. To make something ambitious and on par with UE4 you pretty much need to be commercial and that complicates stuff even more and can eat up a team from the inside.

Hey there Pr0eX :)

[...] and ideally have no friends and no family so they have the time :D

That part made my day! :D

Yeah lets assume for a second RenX could go commercial this would look quite different, but it's not like that. And so we are left with the reality of "money" rules the world :cool::cool:

• Former Developers

Actually Rypel, you'd be surprised as to how good the graphics on UE4 can be if pushed. I've done a lot of testing with it already, and PBR rendering is an insanely huge jump in visual fidelity. I think the reason why most dev members aren't up for porting renx is because EA sorta left C&C out to dry, and the fan base has dwindled to a small percentage of what was already left of it after C&C4. Its a massive shame for C&C to have to end up this way. I personally would love to make a C&C game on UE4 if there was more support from EA, but I would not recreate renx because that's been done already.

Any who, back on topic. Its a pretty nice start. It reminds me a lot of the first renx video on field for UT3:

• 6 months later...

I'd rather see this from Super Monday Night Combat to be honest. Then again, they don't have vehicles and a lot of the visuals were proven to be convertible. Too bad they are just as disinterested in that as well. They don't have as paramount a lack of manpower as this does.

Ever tought about naming the units , buildings, vehicle, everything different not related to the C&C universe saga?Then u are no more in hassle with EA and can start crowd funding this thing, you can accept Donations means u could potentionally setup a nice Dev Team that get rewarded with money flow for their work. I personally dont care if for example the Mammoth-Tank would be renamed into Gilgamesh-Tank or whatever.

Ofcourse the game would lose some style when its called RED vs Blue insteand of GDI VS NOD but wheeey aslong as the gameplay is the same personally i dont care.

Imo this Unreal Engine 4 Project has potentional, but it cannot be related to C&C thats for sure, else as i said u will have to blabla with EA again and they will put the dog leash on you and u already see the outcome here on renegade x... ( majority of the devs aboned the board)

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2017 at 6:44 PM, Sibercat said:

So i have been play around with the Squad Devkit, they pretty much have every system that you need for Renegade X. Added a new video at the beginning of the Topic.

I personally loved playing Project Reality (battlefield 2 mod), back in the days. As far as I am aware, Squad also supports a sophisticated base building and logistics system.

And combined with Renegade's base functionality and C&C gamemode, this could be very interesting, and probably how I personally would have imagined the perfect game^^

I guess I was thinking of a very similar approach to base building and RTS mechanics for Renegade...

Good luck!