Comment this simple Tech Level mod

Crnyo

Does anyone else feel that cheaper units such as buggies and lower tier infantry should see more action than they do now? It seems to me that credit gain is so fast that you can get into tanks pretty much within few minutes from starting the game. This kinda makes those cheaper units utterly redundant.

Another issue I see is that controlling Tiberium field isn't as rewarding as it should be. Even if you are able to deny their access to Tiberium, enemy players can still effectively turtle in the base thanks to alternative forms of income such as repairing allies.

As a part of my UnrealScript learning process I've made a small modification to the game which introduces tech levels.

Tech lvl 0: free infantry

Tech lvl 1: Buggy + rocket soldier, officer, mcfarland/chem soldier, hotwire, buggy

Tech lvl 2: APC, Artillery/MLRS + 500 credits infantry(SBH, Laser chaingunner, Patch, Gunner, Snipers)

Tech lvl 3: Everything else

To advance from one tech level to the next you need to secure 5 harvester unloads. If you destroy enemy harvester you can slow up their tech progression.

Gameplay would be divided into early / mid / late game. Early game would revolve around infantry and buggies, mid game would revolve around APCs rushes and Arty bombardment(infantry would still be important) and late game would be what we have now - total vehicle domination over infantry.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

The core idea is a good one (to increase in tech level over the course of the game), but the moment one side controls the field the entire game is lost, and every harvester kill is exponentially terrible for the losing team.

The maps are not designed at all with this in mind and the result would be horrendous.

This is the kind of thing you'd expect in a game where infantry can actually bring back resources themselves so there would be a way to do this. With bulky harvesters, this just would never work.

So you'd have to think about an entirely different idea to tie the tech increase to.

Team score?

Alternatively, as I suggested before, make it a progressively more expensive upgrade to purchase per player, that is permanent for that match. Then, you could even add branching ones to the end that focus on different playstyles. Like steel talons or dead six or marked ones or such. With teamwork, that rich guy could even pool money and furnish the team with end tier goods.

The core idea is a good one (to increase in tech level over the course of the game), but the moment one side controls the field the entire game is lost, and every harvester kill is exponentially terrible for the losing team.

The maps are not designed at all with this in mind and the result would be horrendous.

This is the kind of thing you'd expect in a game where infantry can actually bring back resources themselves so there would be a way to do this. With bulky harvesters, this just would never work.

So you'd have to think about an entirely different idea to tie the tech increase to.

As much as I'd like to think that tech level unlocks based on harvester unloads is a cool system, I have to agree with this.

It seems that tech level unlocks should be time based. This won't fix the base turtling issue but at least we will have nice gameplay transitions from basic to more advanced units.

Reasoning behind basing tech level on harvester unloads was that part of the team should deal with base warfare while others should deal with harvester warfare. If you control Tiberium field you will have tech advantage but if you assign too many players to that mission then your base will become vulnerable to enemy assault.

Unfortunately most maps only have 2 rush lanes, one for vehicles and other for infantry. This means you can siege the enemy base and block their access to Tiberium at the same time.

What this mod would require are specialized maps which would contain 3 tiberium fields. Every refinery would have dynamic number of harvesters depending on number of players on server.

But custom maps will require game client that is able to download maps directly from server instead of having to go to forums and manually unzip those files in right folders. So I guess this won't happen any time soon.

3 words. It's freaking awesome!!! Oh men good job. I hope devs will implement this mod as official, becouse this is the way, where game should go. I like it very much.

Hey man, I'm glad you like it.

Team score?

Team score could work. Early base rush should get you faster access to higher tech even if you don't manage to destroy any buildings ( provided you inflict more damage than you receive).

Alternatively, as I suggested before, make it a progressively more expensive upgrade to purchase per player, that is permanent for that match. Then, you could even add branching ones to the end that focus on different playstyles. Like steel talons or dead six or marked ones or such. With teamwork, that rich guy could even pool money and furnish the team with end tier goods.

Hm interesting idea. You know it would be possible to rig crate pickups so they drop "tech blueprints". Then you could research that tech for yourself at the base (you'd have to pay large sum of credits). When researched specific vehicles would get some kind of buffs be it higher damage resistance, more damage per shot or higher speed. There could even be ultra buffs like invisibility or automated defense scrambler (guard towers won't shoot at you) or stun dart for SBHs(this probably won't happen because it would require some modelling&animation but i can try), but of course those wouldn't be permanent, you could only apply them once.

Just imagine a invisible Mammoth or flame tank, or APC which doesn't get targeted by base defenses.

I think I have my next mod project. :)

How bout each player simply unlocks it through buying?

Late joiners would simply jump on tech level based on average

tech level on his team.

All unlocked tech will be grayed out with a clickable icon to the

side of the entire thing which simply says "unlock tech #" and that

would open up all tech # for the player.