Giving a weapon its own name.

yosh56

• Totem Arts Staff

I figured I'd make a topic on this, though in reality I know about 80% of what I need to know.

I've been writing something sort of big in the background here, and it's going to stay in the background till I feel like revealing what it is. Anyway, the issue I'm running in to is that for this to work, I'm going to need to add one or 2 new weapons/items to the game. and while I've mostly figured out all of the coding aspects of them, I do just have one issue I felt the need to ask about on the forums:

Is it possible to give a new weapon its own name? I noticed it reads the ItemNames out of the Localization files, but would adding a block in the .int file for the weapon SERVER SIDE allow it to display the correct name client-side? I'm thinking 'no', and if that's the case, The Yosh may need to ask a small favour of the devs before the next build drops.

I figured I'd make a topic on this, though in reality I know about 80% of what I need to know.

I've been writing something sort of big in the background here, and it's going to stay in the background till I feel like revealing what it is. Anyway, the issue I'm running in to is that for this to work, I'm going to need to add one or 2 new weapons/items to the game. and while I've mostly figured out all of the coding aspects of them, I do just have one issue I felt the need to ask about on the forums:

Is it possible to give a new weapon its own name? I noticed it reads the ItemNames out of the Localization files, but would adding a block in the .int file for the weapon SERVER SIDE allow it to display the correct name client-side? I'm thinking 'no', and if that's the case, The Yosh may need to ask a small favour of the devs before the next build drops.

I'm taking a single weekend to write some code for another game, and man I must say it is so much easier there than here, to stick a model, script, ui, and name to a brand new entity.

I know you probably already google'd, but I found this:

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/71 ... ickup-name

• Totem Arts Staff

Why did you quote that when it was literally the only post in the entire thread?

That topic... was not helpful at all. Like I already mentioned, I know WHERE to name a weapon, I just don't think it will translate from client to server. I might try and see if it will at a later date, but for now I'm still thinking it wouldn't make sense to get my hopes up on it.