[Mod] Renegade X Fancy Menu Map

Handepsilon

• Totem Arts Staff

Custom menu is back!

Ever get bored of just staring at the Hovercraft and the Mammoth Tank in the menu? Well, then just go ahead and install this little piece of Mod. It will show you most of the characters and vehicles inside the game. Perfect for them newbs :)

Version 1.2

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11vAHD4gc10tUw8jDu32jvhLkgqIlxloJ

DEPRECATED VERSIONS - NO LONGER WORKING IN CURRENT VERSION OF GAME (You can still download this as research material)

Version 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Version 1.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifomcx21o8wcu ... 1.zip?dl=0

Several shots of the pans :

The Black Hands

k5d79.jpg

The Dead 6

2r4pnrn.jpg

Raveshaw and Mendoza

3468f11.jpg

Engies and Tech

xmil1l.jpg

Mobius, Sydney, and McFarland

2dvsw8m.jpg

• Thanks 3

I hate for this to go unused, so I will snag a copy.

Troubleshooting: The game may try to default your config file every time you start, so when you copy-paste it into the config folder from the download, go ahead and "read-only" that little guy if you are having any problems with seeing the default menu screen despite installing this one.

Also, if your graphic settings are low, this won't be nearly as appealing. Funky face geometrics on ultra-low ftl...

It was STILL badass. For future versions, I recommend the tech screen part, to have the tech and engie standing side by side, and have the third engie falling to the floor instead. That way, you get a clearer view of the tech, while still having same number of character models.

I know... but if anything, this should've decreased your FPS instead of increasing it...

It actually increases the fps on the main menu (x2 or more) but that's about it ,no effect on the fps in game,it's exactly the same.

I know... but if anything, this should've decreased your FPS instead of increasing it...

It actually increases the fps on the main menu (x2 or more) but that's about it ,no effect on the fps in game,it's exactly the same.

I've always wondered why the loading screen and the hangar scene when starting up the game, reached only 30 FPS on my counter while ingame multiplayer always reached 60 FPS.

• Totem Arts Staff

Increase in fps is logical, a lot of the hangar deck scene isn't rendered. It's a very small cutout now instead of hundreds of armour plates and what ever meshes + a huge hovercraft, it just renders a small corner and 3-6 characters.

Looks cool in any case!

Increase in fps is logical, a lot of the hangar deck scene isn't rendered. It's a very small cutout now instead of hundreds of armour plates and what ever meshes + a huge hovercraft, it just renders a small corner and 3-6 characters.

Looks cool in any case!

Yeah, no disrespect to you guys. His did look pretty cool and practical though. It is crazy how such a small scene has so many busy meshes though. I always did like the hovercraft scene tbh, very singleplayer immersive and always sets the mindset.

• Totem Arts Staff

No offense taken or anything, just stating why it runs faster. I like this idea a lot and having several scenes for variation is a neat idea, especially if it would alternate on startup.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/19/2015 at 4:51 AM, Handepsilon said:

Thank you, and suggestions will be considered as well. Like the Mastermind I'm....

...a~lways looking for new ideas :D

O great Hande,how is it going ? Hope you're doing fine.

Do you have any plans to update this? or you left it for good ?

• Totem Arts Staff
8 hours ago, ObeliskTheTormentor said:

O great Hande,how is it going ? Hope you're doing fine.

Do you have any plans to update this? or you left it for good ?

From what I've seen so far, not sure if it's a map issue, but it causes the game to crash when you try to load these levels instead of the defaults. I will look into it and see if I can find out why

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarah! said:

From what I've seen so far, not sure if it's a map issue, but it causes the game to crash when you try to load these levels instead of the defaults.

Same

Edited by ObeliskTheTormentor

• Totem Arts Staff
On 2/8/2018 at 5:42 AM, Sarah! said:

From what I've seen so far, not sure if it's a map issue, but it causes the game to crash when you try to load these levels instead of the defaults. I will look into it and see if I can find out why

Well, the map menu is very very ancient, as you may have seen in the post year. I won't be surprised if it was the map version causing the crash, or the ini files being at fault. You can try to manually edit your ini files to load this on startup instead of the default one. If it still crashes, then it's the map fault.

As for continuing.... I'm not sure. I haven't updated my Renegade-X SDK due to network problem, and my laptop would kill itself over the heavy apps I try to run (including RenX sadly :( ). Probably would appreciate it if someone can mirror the download links to google drive or something. My office network doesn't like downloading from alien sites, so the download would always get shut down whenever I try it.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, Handepsilon said:

Well, the map menu is very very ancient, as you may have seen in the post year. I won't be surprised if it was the map version causing the crash, or the ini files being at fault. You can try to manually edit your ini files to load this on startup instead of the default one. If it still crashes, then it's the map fault.

As for continuing.... I'm not sure. I haven't updated my Renegade-X SDK due to network problem, and my laptop would kill itself over the heavy apps I try to run (including RenX sadly :( ). Probably would appreciate it if someone can mirror the download links to google drive or something. My office network doesn't like downloading from alien sites, so the download would always get shut down whenever I try it.

I have looked, and I will probably just copy the "scenes" over to the new map file, if you're ok with that.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 2/12/2018 at 4:05 AM, Sarah! said:

I have looked, and I will probably just copy the "scenes" over to the new map file, if you're ok with that.

Of course, I'm cool with it.

24 minutes ago, limsup said:

Have you considered the performance impact?

It depends on how much stuff is going on and how one would do it. If it's using AIs, then it definitely will impact performance. I'm not that familiar with how Generals menu look really. Last time I played, it's just a static image of a battlefield

• Totem Arts Staff

I'm very pleased to announce that the Custom Menu is back, along with a few changes :

1. File size is completely downsized into 1 MB

This is due to the way the Menu Map works now. Apparently it is cooked and trying to load any other levels with the frontend map will cause crashes. The frontend map will now contain the whole cinematic bits. Also added a RenX-HandeXtend.u in the pack (THIS SCRIPT MAY SEE UPDATES LATER)

2. Added Vignette and tweaked PostProcess

I've added a PostProcess Chain for the world to make the shots look a bit more like a background. You may or may not like this change. Lemme know what you think. If it's too dark or strange, I'll change it. You won't see the change if you have PostProcess off though

3. Camera is slightly slowed down, visibility timing is fixed

My original idea is to play the camera accordingly with the Tension Rising's beat. Unfortunately for whatever reason, the matinee always play faster. I've also discovered that there are scenes that seemed to have mismatching timings. This has been fixed now

4. Scene changes

The Hovercraft no longer moves (It's tied to the menu map's matinee, can't do anything about it). Mendoza is now holding Tiberium Rifle. Officer next to Raveshaw and Mendoza are now holding a pistol and standing. This is due to a removed animation from Black Dawn. Mobius and McFarland scene now have additional props inside the room

Known Issues :

1. Airstrip scene becomes too dark. I'll try to fix this later.

2.  Lag and freezes may affect the music beat timing

3. There might be a bit of blink when the main menu starts, ESPECIALLY if your post-process is set to off. I can't really do much about this, but I'll try my best to make sure it's not too visible

New link for download is on the first post!

Also let me know if this still cause crashes or any other issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

its really amazing.

i havent payed much attention to performance and the music but i do feel like some of the scenes has a bit too dark lighting, especially the ones showing the bases. (post-processing on)
other thing is what you cant help is that sometimes when you go to a new scene it has to load the higher resolution models so for a split second you see the lower resolution ones

Edited by HuskerDoggo

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, HuskerDoggo said:

its really amazing.

i havent payed much attention to performance and the music but i do feel like some of the scenes has a bit too dark lighting, especially the ones showing the bases. (post-processing on)
other thing is what you cant help is that sometimes when you go to a new scene it has to load the higher resolution models so for a split second you see the lower resolution ones

Aye, I will fix the darker scene (and yea  the bases will definitely need a change), probably after I can actually test properly in the actual game. I don't wanna bother the other guys too much just to test a single mod. I think I may have forgotten a bit of point lights too in the airstrip, which is how the scene there got too dark

And yep, I know about that last part. I don't think I can always force the material resolution to max. It's kinda just UE3 inherent problem with the texture (my friend even said it was one of the major giveaway for UE3-run games) which is why I don't even bother including that part