Does the current player base want changes, Y/N?

RoundShades

If this thread was a "Poll Thread", I would vote yes to changes, albeit there would be a catch so long as changes don't tamper with any currently enjoyed game strategy and play style.

Character balance is already making leaps with just Yosh/Com.Devs/EKT systematically touching up weapon per weapon in mutators. I have seen in the last week Shotgun/Gunner/Officer fixed to work beautifully. Balance is best when you would happily use any one of the classes in the game, and I'd just about use any class after just the current changes.

Voip is requested a lot, nobody would tell you no unless it sacrificed smoothness or something.

Vehicle movement is likely the passing of netcode, if you know the silver bullet for vehicle-control input-delay, fix it pretty please.

Website and community updates honestly can wait until the next "surge update" unless you are sure you can make quick work of it. In that regard, you may have to be the new full overseer of the website aspect of it depending on if anyone else on the team sets it so they can maintain it. Right now, it seems the old setup was maintained by someone who has taken a hiatus and so some pages are lapsing like leaderboards. If you can set up and maintain them, then they will be functioning again.

Really, if game mechanics can prevent perpetual repair somehow someway, without some stupid unnatural "turn off base defenses at certain time" insta-end mechanic, that too should be included before the next surge update, so we can see what new and old players think of it. The idea is, whatever it is, needs to not cheese off legacy players, and also promote new players from the "tactical shooter genre". In this regard, I would ask legacy players to HAVE AN OPEN MIND in this endeavor, as it would benefit us all if the game matches can consistently last 15-45 minutes as long as it doesn't tamper with tank-rush field-control tunnel-control infantry-support infiltration-threat attack-defend gameplay.

You should just take a look around the forums and you'll see a lot of the active users talk about the game.

Most people are happy with the game in general, but there are many (contradicting) balancing suggestions.

The answer is a very clear yes.

After I introduced this game to my steam friends, they didn't enjoy it in its current state (bugs, clunky movement, etc.). Because of that, I think we should only put in efforts to expand the player base when RenX is stable and balanced.

2) Vehicle Movement

Agreed^ for APCs humvee/buggy of both side are a pain to drive

Especially GDI APC. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BABIES...? D:

*pets my camper APC*

What're you crying about, you never drive the darned things farther than the infantry entrance to your own base. It can't be that hard to drive it that distance. ;)

After I introduced this game to my steam friends, they didn't enjoy it in its current state (bugs, clunky movement, etc.). Because of that, I think we should only put in efforts to expand the player base when RenX is stable and balanced.

YOU showed this game to the MNC forum guys? EDIT: Wait, or is that a different Jeff? Anyway, it had really bad bugs in beta 2, Beta 4 had airdrops making matches too "inert" but it honestly was a decent patch.

I think pre4.03 is great gameplay in practice, but there are some things balance can't do, and bug fixes and a few added features if possible would be nice. Honestly, I still have high hopes from mapping and a lot of the buglist that is being addressed. Someone thinks they have floating-invincible-mines figured out!

• Totem Arts Staff

Especially GDI APC. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BABIES...? D:

*pets my camper APC*

What're you crying about, you never drive the darned things farther than the infantry entrance to your own base. It can't be that hard to drive it that distance. ;)

But... but to get to the best spot you have to maintain a good turn, and then place yourself in a spot

Serious : besides... I don't always camp inf path. I usually patrol around when someone place Beacon. and Walls are not really the best place to camp on.... it's at those time I wish they have a nicer turn and are not just flying around light weightless metal...

If you support changes to fix and grow the game please post, otherwise if not many people do that will be a clear no and I'll help with some web things and leave it at that.

I think help would be appreciated, although I know people are working on almost everything you mentioned. A few more hands can speed up that progress. I see this topic was also noticed by some of the community developers, so I think you can discuss things with them if you want :)

If you can program really well.. I'd like to see you creating new game modes as CTF, Gun Game (reference: call of duty), a vehicle version of Gun Game, some new gamemode? You name it!

Vehicle tweaks are really easy to do, I don't think you'll have much trouble with this or any developer will have.. It's simply adjusting the script files and optimising them values. I think this is more for the community dev team and Havoc89.

Same goes for character balance.

You could also help with creating content for the game, which is always good!

* Maps

* Equipment

* Vehicles

* Characters? (Visceroid anyone?)

* Buildings

* Environment stuff..

However, I'd really like to see new gamemodes too! CTF would be a huge huge plus for me personally. Since yer a programmer, I guess you do not wish to model stuff and be an artist in that way but rather write code or something. I think new gamemodes would be perfect for this. In my opinion it also really really adds to the game in terms of functionality and makes up for a broader audience / target group.

After talking with RypeL, by all intents the last dev standing, I didn't get the impression there were any active developers, but perhaps the community dev group has game programmers, artist and the like. As I understand it Rypel is trying to be pretty hands off, so maybe that is just it.

If you could let me know who is working on what and ask them to stop by with a status update that would be great. I don't want to step on anyone's toes but I haven't been able to trace any project management information or bug database or even a simple "I'm john doe and I'm going to work on X." Having experience in this sort of thing, usually a fair amount of work starts with good intentions and then the reality sets in, be it the work or life. Just trying to find out some information, which is surprisingly hard. It may be a moot point if the trend of half a dozen replies to every 50 views continues...

True. There are a lot of developers inactive. At the moment these are still active (from what I've heard):

* Havoc89

* Kenz3001

* RypeL

* JeepRubi more or less

* Nielsen more or less

RypeL is doing most of the coding. Last time I talked to him (about a week or 2 ago?) he told me that he is mainly doing bugfixes right now. I can not really tell for Jeeprubi (or Jeepruby? who knows.)

I'd suggest you ask him yourself. The Personal Message service works really well in this forum so.

Good luck! I don't think you'll be stepping on anyone's toes if you offer your help / development skills ;)

After talking with RypeL, by all intents the last dev standing, I didn't get the impression there were any active developers, [..]

That's disheartening to read.

Especially after RenX has come such a long way and ended up being a very good revival of the classic we all love.

I don't think there's any single game out there that I would answer "No" to this question in the title.

All games can be improved by individual standards. At some point though, they all reach a "as good as it's going to get" stage and release the final product. That's the stage we're hoping to get to. Sure, there will always be new additions with mutators, maps, weapons, tanks, etc. being created with help from the SDK, but the game itself is at a very good state currently. There isn't a ton that I personally would change.

After talking with RypeL, by all intents the last dev standing, I didn't get the impression there were any active developers, [..]

Especially after RenX has come such a long way and ended up being a very good revival of the classic we all love.

Thats not what i told him though. What i told him was "Yes im still active in development but very few are right now thats why we try to shift it to the community. "

After speaking with him i didnt get the impression that he knows Unreal Script so i admire his intention but introducing VOIP and "fixing" vehicle physics is complicated (or maybe even impossible in UDK cause UDK is not a complete open source version of the engine).

Thats not what i told him though. What i told him was "Yes im still active in development but very few are right now thats why we try to shift it to the community. "

After speaking with him i didnt get the impression that he knows Unreal Script so i admire his intention but introducing VOIP and "fixing" vehicle physics is complicated stuff for experts (or maybe even impossible in UDK cause UDK is not a complete open source version of the engine).

Well, if he really is willing to help, we could always give it a shot. I'd suggest applying his made changes in a closed beta, and let the testers decide if it's for the better or worse, then move it to the open beta.

There is nothing to lose by doing this, right...? Or would compiling another close beta cost too much time, do you think...?

I'd suggest applying his made changes in a closed beta, and let the testers decide if it's for the better or worse, then move it to the open beta.

Ehm sure. If someone worked on something interesting they can introduce it themselves via the SDK and/or present it to us and we will consider integrating it into the main game. But... i guess you misunderstood. Right now, like many, he has only ideas but no changes made. So first he would need to learn Unreal Script etc, then do the changes and then he can present them to us and we would consider integrating them.

Well hey, I think he does should earn some respect for him, willing to help us out like that (i'm not implying that you or anyone else doesn't ^^). I'd say give him a chance, let him go loose and see if he can produce a working 'product' sometime in the future. It could be fan-made, it could be official, i don't know and honestly don't care much either, because that doesn't affect the quality of the product. Suggestions help aswell, even if they are mentioned a dozen times before.

At times like these i wish i could code or model myself aswell, but hey, i can't, so all i can do is test and say stuff like this :P. All i ever done was mapping for Red Alert 2 and Tiberian sun, but that was a breeze compared to this.

You do realize, that Totem Arts made a functioning game, and released an SDK, and we are already as a community in a self-stable position to maintain this game and even continue adding assets?

That in itself is something to thank ALL the devs of this game, all of them that worked the last several years to get it where it is. They should all really be here when this game thrives on to see the fruit of their work and bask in the credit.

The next people I'd like to thank, are the server operators and modders that are working on bits of the game themselves. Even all the players who play and post videos and show friends, that is advertizement and just as big a help to the community!

Edited by Guest

You do realize, that Totem Arts made a functioning game, and released an SDK, and we are already as a community in a self-stable position to maintain this game and even continue adding assets?

That in itself is something to thank ALL the devs of this game, all of them that worked the last several years to get it where it is. They should all really be here when this game thrives on to see the fruit of their work and bask in the credit.

The next people I'd like to thank, are the server operators and modders that are working on bits of the game themselves. Even all the players who play and post videos and show friends, that is advertizement and just as big a help to the community!

Not sure why you are replying to me as if I shat on the devs.

I just said what they made is a good game.

Not sure why you are replying to me as if I shat on the devs.

I just said what they made is a good game.

Oh no no no, I was just reassuring, that just about nothing could nuke this game at this stage. RypeL would be a tragic loss at this point, but I still think in a year I will be playing with the regulars, most likely on at least 5 new maps.

YOU showed this game to the MNC forum guys? EDIT: Wait, or is that a different Jeff? Anyway, it had really bad bugs in beta 2, Beta 4 had airdrops making matches too "inert" but it honestly was a decent patch.

I think pre4.03 is great gameplay in practice, but there are some things balance can't do, and bug fixes and a few added features if possible would be nice. Honestly, I still have high hopes from mapping and a lot of the buglist that is being addressed. Someone thinks they have floating-invincible-mines figured out!

Different Jeff.

I didn't dare share the game to friends when it was in beta 2. The crashing still gives me nightmares. Beta 3 and 4 fixed lots of things, but there's still a lot more that needs to be looked at.

Another thing I forgot to mention was RenX's huge learning curve and the nostalgia factor. I never played the original and struggled in my first couple of games on RenX, but what kept me going was the simple fact that this was C&C. I can understand people who aren't familiar with the series aren't going to be enjoying the game as much as I did.

• Totem Arts Staff

First question... isn't that supposed to be Private messages? You know, unless both party agrees to share it

Second.... I believe we're using Unreal Engine 3.... without full source code and only ones included in UDK. So no C++ here

First question... isn't that supposed to be Private messages? You know, unless both party agrees to share it

Second.... I believe we're using Unreal Engine 3.... without full source code and only ones included in UDK. So no C++ here

yeah deleted his post cause he just posted all our private conversation without asking for permission. Who does that ? People who do that will have their posts deleted, get warned and if they do that again will be banned from the forums and the game.

Then he went on trying to prove that he wouldn't need to learn unreal script cause you can do everything in C++ in unreal engine 4 and that only artists would use unreal script. Last time I checked we were using Unreal Engine 3 in the udk version though and not ue4 and for the record the artists scripting engines are called kismet in UE 3 and blueprints in ue4.

This discussion degenerated quickly so ill close this now.