[WIP] ...City_Flying (imrlysrs)

Prelude: I do have a full time job. And a date next Sunday. Nonetheless, I have a lot of projects piling up, I want to make a few PA mods, a RenX mutator, a RenX map, collaborate with the RenX dev discussions both community-to-dev and dev-to-community to keep both parties informed, and a Megaman Legends abridged series I plan to call "Megaman Legends Parody: Fanfiction is Magic".

I drag my feet a lot. Should just chop the darn things right off. At any rate, I am now going to make an attempt at one of those things this very moment I am typing. C&C City Flying. Very passionate about it. They call it cursed. I call it "life and luck happened", it may happen to me too but if so it is not a curse, it is my feet. Nobody chopped them off. #icalledit

So as of this post, I opened Kenz3001's "Making a RenegadeX Map #1" and watched 5:16 though it, enough to have opened the SDK with the parameters "-Editor". I will force myself to put some time into this every weekend, and try to put some time into it every day after work instead of doing nothing, if I am doing nothing, which I do a LOT, despite the 7 projects I'd like to get done.

I am collaborating with Encrypt who is making another map but told me we can collaborate if either of us needs it, as well as BlackDragonOfDarkness from the legacy RenegadeSkins.net website where he is webmaster of legacy ren models and skins and can do custom asset work which he has no clue how much I appreciate him for agreeing. Together, not I alone, but the community, will make the game a better place to be. Community helping community, history in the making.

Steps Done So Far

1) Made a rough draft overlay concept. It is not scale, and already has cosmetically changed, but overall it demonstrates what my idea for the map as a whole is. Note the possible on/off ramps for better interaction between the paths, the road is more realistic looking and not a figure 8 (will actually be "city blocks" instead however, even more realistic), the X shape of the overpass is iconic of Ren"X" and also stretches the midfield for confortable spacing and to cater to faster paced sprinting style of the game, in light of the on/off ramps the hole that "narrow vehicles" could squeeze through will be an even more thin "infantry" gap, and overall this map in it's legacy has kicked ass with how flexible and open ended the two sided criss cross paths were so it is guaranteed to satisfy the audience should it finally see it's debut in RenX. It certainly has been a long time coming.

11265289_883970868315896_7129662187419529396_n.jpg?oh=fe0a3a2b262243f4081ebeb1b2e7fba9&oe=560A3599

2) Found collaborators via discussion with Encrypt here and RenX.com and BlackDragonOfDarkness at RenegadeSkins.net and I do still need to set up a form of regular contact with them for this project.

3) Started up SDK. My goal is to use Kenz' tutorial to set up the foundation for makmaking and then create a whitebox. I may actually model/texture it as a crude map using simple geometry and desert textures if necessary. As I build it, I will collaborate with anyone willing to help or criticize, as well as switch placeholder models with cosmetically appealing assets and contents.

To be continued...

Edited by Guest

... okieditedthecolorCan we please talk about the map lol? Anyway, I did spawns and gamemode today. Basically, Kenz Making RenegadeX Map Ep. 3. I will of course consult other tutorials to do specifically urban environments as it will probably share hints that landscape based mapmaking would do the hard way.

Nice to see that you're doing this! I'd strongly suggest that you ask kenz who is working on the map internal @dev team as well.

As for your own efforts, please use no more than 2 quads for landscape. Kenz uses 4 in his tutorial.. Its overkill, especially for city.

If you need help im willing to help you out where I can :)

I will be honest. I started with 2 quads, and had to restart. It had enough for 2 bases, but no midfield. You also underestimate the distance around the map it will take to cosmetically enclose it. Edging it with skyscrapers and roads with rubble blocking it (or perhaps just tank blockers and out of bounds area like Canyon has)

The 4 quads also help measure a bit, although it is lazy because I could turn gridlines on and off.

I may need help building lights depending on if my computer can handle it, but I will likely start off with cheater-lights and build everything before adding more realistic lighting.

Nice to see that you're doing this! I'd strongly suggest that you ask kenz who is working on the map internal @dev team as well.

As for your own efforts, please use no more than 2 quads for landscape. Kenz uses 4 in his tutorial.. Its overkill, especially for city.

If you need help im willing to help you out where I can :)

Okay. So Kenz shared you may only use certain sizes for landscapes in his tutorial. However, what he didn't share, is that you may use 2 landscapes.

That being said, I used two 127 landscapes, both with 4 quads, so 8 quads total in a lengthy shape. Enough room for the bases and midfield, not too much room on the sides (which I would have never used, they are just mostly getting blocked off by skyscrapers anyway)

I feel accomplished just for having come up with that.

Right now, I am scaling using placeholder CSG. I haven't been told why to or not to, but I don't see why not in spite of hearing somewhere it "wasn't a good idea to use on large maps". I am sizing up where roads are supposed to be, what walking distances are to use as a ruler, how wide the roads must then be as a result, how large buildings are supposed to be. Of course, the hardest part, will be replacing CSG, with functioning models and assets.

Still not sure today if the scale of the map is okay. I layed down roughly where the outlines are, and I feel the midmap can be a little longer. In which case, I may have to pull the bases farther to the edges of the map so I have more to work with in the middle.