CNC 3 Titan in RenX WiP

Hey guys

Ruud provided me this Titan and asked me to get it working in RenX

I got the Titan skinned on the existing skeleton + animation

This thread will be used for progres, feedback and help.

Walking

I have been thinking about how to get it working in the SDK.

My idea was to create invisible set of wheels that the Titan rides on. The walking legs are more or less just flailing for the illusion of walking. Technically its just a normal tank with a walking animation. Ofcourse would be nice if the walkinganimation speed is linked to the speed of the Titan itself.

Pic for illustration

Titan%20rigging.jpg?dl=0

Will this setup work in RenX SDK or any other ideas? I dont want it to be too complex, im not a tech man, just a 3d artist :P

• Former Developers

Curious to see progress on this. Yes there is a node in the animation tree editor that can speed up / slow down animations based on movement speeds. We use that on our character animation tree for dynamically scaling the animation speeds to auto adjust to character speeds. That node is called "AnimNodeScaleRateBySpeed" inside the animation tree.

Not really sure how to setup a mech though. Definitely need someone with programming expertise for this one.

• Totem Arts Staff
Do we always have to animate a vehicle using wheels? I can imagine that characters are animated using a different system. Can't we port this over to a mech vehicle?

I'd believe you need to look on DarkWalker in UT3... though it's not exactly a similar legged thing (the legs were not as rigid as the Titan)

About importing the fbx model into the SDK. How would you recommend importing the animations.

One fbx with multiple animation on the timeline? (example, frames 1-10 for idle & frames 12-48 for walking) or seperate fbx with each animation?

I never really worked with udk.

• Former Developers

nbtc2r.jpg

2is6o2g.jpg

I've been digging into this a little bit more lately, and it is indeed possible to get mechs working without custom code. I just have one problem left to resolve. But as soon as that is fixed, i'll release the code, max, and UPK files for it. I didn't really need to do any custom coding, but a little bit is required to get a custom animation tree node for changing the animation for backward movements. For the most part I'm at about 90% and all of that 90% was done without any coding, and mostly handled from the animation and the anim tree editor.

Nice, that titan is way better than the CNC3 one. I feel like my own attempt will be much worse. I dont feel too bad though, because ive been very busy with finishing my education. I spent very little time on my own attempt hehe. Sorry ruud :P

Nice, that titan is way better than the CNC3 one. I feel like my own attempt will be much worse. I dont feel too bad though, because ive been very busy with finishing my education. I spent very little time on my own attempt hehe. Sorry ruud :P

It's okay haha. Seems like we don't need that one after all..

Wouldn't it be cool if this unit and a Nod equivalent could be unlocked ingame as 'experimental weaponry' when a team has reached a certain pointlimit (preferable by attacking, if this is possible to calculate)?

Wouldn't it be cool if this unit and a Nod equivalent could be unlocked ingame as 'experimental weaponry' when a team has reached a certain pointlimit (preferable by attacking, if this is possible to calculate)?

Recon Bikes or Stealth Generators would be sweet.