Orca/Apache fights are boring

I've thought this for a while and mentioned it a few times, so I thought I would make a thread on it.

Orca/Apache fights are really boring with the current lock on payload missiles. It just ends up as both locking on and hurting each other to half hp, then backing off. When the machine guns/cannons are used it's actually interesting, but the missiles are so boring. I would much rather see lock on removed for air units so that they actually have to aim the missiles well. It would lead to much more exciting and skillful air battles.

I'm not sure if the whole payload method (firing a bunch of missiles and then having a long reload time) should stay or not, but lock on should definitely go in my opinion.

Any thoughts on making air battles more fun? Or do people think they are fun how they are right now?

I think they're fun. I actually really like the mechanics of them right now. You can't sneakily be looking somewhere, so the enemy knows if you are aware of them or not. So you really either have to be sneaky or come with a second apache/orca. I had some fun fights on walls earlier, just baiting orcas in, and then another apache would be hiding. Then we both jump it and gg orca.

I'd agree on bananas.. in my opinion they really are boring.. it's always the same story; shoot, backoff half HP and hope you don't get hit along the way back.

for me, no locks would really be neat because it would trigger me to get closer to the enemy

The old way was more fun. Keep cursor on the target 100% of the time and it'll track, or juke around (actually dogfight) to get in a dominant position to cg them. Give unlimited clip to make up for how much you'll miss, reduced dmg/hp to make up for unlimited ammo. They were much better as glass cannons, and also when they weren't forced onto maps where they don't belong (lakeside)

Also is there a way to get legacy controls for aircraft atm? I miss the unlocked camera/gun + shift-strafing

• Totem Arts Staff
Or... just... use a Chinook. Problem solved.

you and your Chinook>Orca xD

But to remain ontopic: I think it would be interesting to test it out. Like setting up a test server for this.

Will do. We thinking Orcas and Apaches lose their lock? Or perhaps just increase the range of the gun so that using the missiles is more dangerous and can get you kited to death ?

Or... just... use a Chinook. Problem solved.

you and your Chinook>Orca xD

But to remain ontopic: I think it would be interesting to test it out. Like setting up a test server for this.

Will do. We thinking Orcas and Apaches lose their lock? Or perhaps just increase the range of the gun so that using the missiles is more dangerous and can get you kited to death ?

As weak yet still effective as the gun is, I see no negatives of increasing the range on them. Doesn't the orca have longer range guns btw? Make sure to keep that still.

What if, and hear me out here:

The rockets have the same range, but the lock-on range is reduced? Meaning that they can fire at each other from distance with them, but they'd have to be fairly close to achieve the lock-on. I think it would help with fights against land vehicles too, as apaches/orcas straight up demolish them with their damage and lock-on distance right now.

What if, and here me out here:

The rockets have the same range, but the lock-on range is reduced? Meaning that they can fire at each other from distance with them, but they'd have to be fairly close to achieve the lock-on. I think it would help with fights against land vehicles too, as apaches/orcas straight up demolish them with their damage and lock-on distance right now.

This is a good idea!

Also about the gun range increase: keep in mind orcas/apaches don't just fight each other but infatry (and tanks as well). I think the gun range increase would overpower them too much in this regard.

• 2 months later...

I have nothing against this if the rockets get change but you're forgetting something the mammoth tank MLRS and stealth tank rockets needs to be changed as well no more lock on what will be the point off air if the tanks can lock you and you cannot. + the air units need increase weapons range atm mammoth tank MLRS and stealth tank can lock you for far away before you can get to them.

• 1 month later...

This is why I liked the Beta 2 orcas they had 2 missiles but had 1.5x the range of the Apaches so what the lacked in firepower they made up in range.

It also meant the orca was a superior air to air fighter but not as strong for air to ground.

Now they are basically clones of each other wearing different dresses.