EMP grenade

This grenade definitely needs a buff.

1. As an antitank grenade, useless, even Mammoth tanks can "run away" before it activates. Activation time should be like in Beta3 or slightly higher at most.

2. As a mine-dearming grenade: it does its job well, but. Nobody uses it, because the cloud it generates is simply too big. It can be seen from kilometers. Personally tried a lot of times the past weeks, and it was almost immediately noticed by people right away every single time. The building under attack message is good, but the smoke cloud should be smaller.

I use EMP grenades quite often to large success. I think that if they do need one thing changed with them, it would be that the grenade explodes upon enemy impact, making the time until detonation not take place for direct hits from the grenade.

For consistency and new player friendliness, since there is no reason for a grenade to detonate just because of enemy impact (though headshots with frag nades are hilarious)...

...I'd just suggest the fuse to be slightly shorter. If it feels right now that it takes 6 seconds, it could stand to take 4.5 seconds instead.

It can also perhaps detonate on impact too though, I don't mind that, but relying on that as a game mechanic when lobbing at vehicles seems unreliable, throwing it in front of a tank should suffice.

For consistency and new player friendliness, since there is no reason for a grenade to detonate just because of enemy impact (though headshots with frag nades are hilarious)...

...I'd just suggest the fuse to be slightly shorter. If it feels right now that it takes 6 seconds, it could stand to take 4.5 seconds instead.

It can also perhaps detonate on impact too though, I don't mind that, but relying on that as a game mechanic when lobbing at vehicles seems unreliable, throwing it in front of a tank should suffice.

The smoke grenades already works in this way. I think that the detonation time is the most problematic thing about it, in that it needs to be a very fine line. Go too far in either direction, and it quickly becomes too powerful or useless. I personally like where the detonation time is at now. I just wish that it would explode on impact with vehicles because as of now, they are VERY rarely used for this purpose (because of that detonation time, but the same detonation time works perfectly for disarming mines right now).

• Totem Arts Staff

The smoke grenades already works in this way. I think that the detonation time is the most problematic thing about it, in that it needs to be a very fine line. Go too far in either direction, and it quickly becomes too powerful or useless. I personally like where the detonation time is at now. I just wish that it would explode on impact with vehicles because as of now, they are VERY rarely used for this purpose (because of that detonation time, but the same detonation time works perfectly for disarming mines right now).

We've been through the detonation on impact phase. It was this way in beta 3, and it was the biggest complaint with EMP grenades. It took absolutely no skill whatsoever for a single player to nullify an entire rush.

Is the fuse too long? I'd say so. 5.5-6 seconds is a bit too steep. At most, it should be about 3, but no detonation on impact. We've already been through that terrible time.

Fair enough. I did miss beta 3 due to computer issues, so I admittedly never experienced that. If we must go with reducing the detonation time, I think 4 seconds sounds more logical (if it is indeed timed at 6 right now. Haven't tested it individually to see).

At most, it should be about 3 seconds, but no detonation on impact.

This has my vote.

They were originally used to help counter vehicle rushes, but they're not fit for this purpose anymore. It should still be necessary to time the throw so that the detonation coincides with the desired vehicle(s).

• Totem Arts Staff

Okay, so as people have been saying, the emp activation on contact with vehicle is overpowered. And that's true. The easy solution would be to add a 3 second timer with some kind of beeping noise.

Or, if you prefer complicated, you can make an alt fire for the emp grenade. It goes off instantly, but smaller cloud and less time.

I prefer the latter.

- Increased EMP Grenade cook time to allow vehicles to be able to avoid grenades before they detonate (we are currently thinking of making EMPs stick to vehicles so that there is a delay for the EMP effect but so that the vehicles cant just easily avoid them)

Quoted from the beta 4 changelog. I think the parenthesis statement is a solid solution.

- Increased EMP Grenade cook time to allow vehicles to be able to avoid grenades before they detonate (we are currently thinking of making EMPs stick to vehicles so that there is a delay for the EMP effect but so that the vehicles cant just easily avoid them)

The question is, how hard is it to implement this sticking effect? Can we expect it to be done soon, because if not, we should just be considering stat changes, which is simpler to implement.

I do not think it would be hard to do. I haven't seen the code for it, but it seems like it could be as easy as just ifvehiclehit=yes, stick=yes. Or something along those lines. Again, never played around with UE so I could be totally off the mark there.

I do not think it would be hard to do. I haven't seen the code for it, but it seems like it could be as easy as just ifvehiclehit=yes, stick=yes. Or something along those lines. Again, never played around with UE so I could be totally off the mark there.

Well, it would be easier if it's throw arc was programmed, followed by giving it inert physics, basically no gravity no yada yada. C4 currently do that, for instance, timed. Emp Nade would just be a matter of a "timed c4 thrown harder". It would also stick to infantry, which should only happen on accident and not cause any major effect except the occasional unaware enemy leading it to his team's mines and disarming them.