Why don't we have these?

RoundShades

Why don't RenX have:

1) Vehicle shells from standard tanks and apc's. The destroyed husks of vehicles, that you can repair to resurrect the vehicle at lowest health and then repair it from there. Those actually made strategy more in depth in Classic Renegade servers. Honestly, sometimes, I'd rather husks than being able to purchase vehicles post-factory-death.

2) "GDI Weapons Factory Destruction Imminent". If you are going to take away a man's weapons factory, damning him to 2-30 minutes of being sandbagged all friggin game depending on the situation, at least give him the most of the benefit of the doubt, and play that sound at the structure 25% mark. I haven't seen it needed as much in RenX when I played, what with structure icons and them turning red, and the Q callout becoming more urgently worded, but I still feel it needs to be a given.

I'm not sure what you mean with point 1.

2) "GDI Weapons Factory Destruction Imminent". If you are going to take away a man's weapons factory, damning him to 2-30 minutes of being sandbagged all friggin game depending on the situation, at least give him the most of the benefit of the doubt, and play that sound at the structure 25% mark. I haven't seen it needed as much in RenX when I played, what with structure icons and them turning red, and the Q callout becoming more urgently worded, but I still feel it needs to be a given.

But would it really pull more people towards repairing that building?

I think the people that are in base and see themselves in the repairing role, are already watching the icons and building HP anway.

Most of the people at the frontlines or on their way there never turn around anyway, because if a building is already down to 25%, it's either gone or the force at home can stop the assault within the next ~30 secs.

Point 1:

When vehicles died, instead of just disappearing, they left behind a "shell" of that vehicle with a fraction of its life.

That shell could be quickly destroyed, or could be repaired fully. When repaired fully, it becomes a working vehicle again, for either team to capture.

I loved that feature, personally.

The shells were serverside mods in Renegade. By default (stock), the shells didn't exist. I always disliked them for the sole reason that a timed c4 just means that the vehicle owner needs to run to cover and let it explode and then repair the shell to have their tank become brand new again.

The shells were serverside mods in Renegade. By default (stock), the shells didn't exist. I always disliked them for the sole reason that a timed c4 just means that the vehicle owner needs to run to cover and let it explode and then repair the shell to have their tank become brand new again.

I don't think you played with them enough, afaik I remember them being repaired as shells, unuseable until you repair the shell fully, and then when it is repaired it starts at 1% health and you have to repair the working vehicle again too.

If it was "contested" by multiple infantry mid-field, then it would often times be redestroyed at 1hp, just to become a shell instantly and need repaired fully all over again. Or, y'know, an autorifle could do as much damage as repairs did so it was rather easy to destroy it if need be.

Awesome idea! allthough I think there should be a maximum limit on the amount of shells that's currently in the game, else the battlefield would be a mess/maze.

Like, have 5 shells max, every vehicle that gets destroyed with that maximum reached does not drop a shell.

Awesome idea! allthough I think there should be a maximum limit on the amount of shells that's currently in the game, else the battlefield would be a mess/maze.

Like, have 5 shells max, every vehicle that gets destroyed with that maximum reached does not drop a shell.

The vehicles driving was what caused a lot of lag. Also, in original renegade, come to think of it, they didn't clip. Generally, I guess your idea makes sense for making it in Unreal as far as not being buggy like that.

Shells made it possible to bypass vehicle limits on the server, allowing for a 20 medium tank rush.

The reason why I still feel this is a VERY BAD idea on ren-x is simply:

The vehicle limit currently, is lowered to 7 or 12 or something like that on certain maps, because too many give you HUGE VEHICLE LAG. You know, the orca/apache/chinook tremble? The unbearable control of driving tanks/buggies/humvees and the likes?

I believe Devs posted about this issue back in beta 2 and in beta 3 people brought it up again. Guess in beta 4 this "issue" still isnt fixed, or maybe it's not possible!

Your idea would allow for the recommended vehicle limit, to be bypassed by atleast 50% through player-choice .. creating shells removes the vehicle from the counter; upon reaching vehicle limit, repair the shells and voila, more than what the server allowed ... but, the game would become unplayable by everyone

Your idea would allow for the recommended vehicle limit, to be bypassed by atleast 50% through player-choice .. creating shells removes the vehicle from the counter; upon reaching vehicle limit, repair the shells and voila, more than what the server allowed ... but, the game would become unplayable by everyone

Then why not just make the shells still count towards the vehicle limit. When Nod steals a med tank GDI's vehicle count doesn't go down. So why should shells be different.