CNC-Coastal [Beta 0.2.5 Available]

Handepsilon

• Totem Arts Staff

Basically I want to make a map where one team has a lot of advantage forcing the other team to cope with the situation while building up. Of course, they'd have one significant advantage that will turn the table if done right

Then I stumble on one of RenX's easter egg, a rideable version of Gold Rush's hovercraft

It's close to Beta now. Next build will probably be Beta

Premise : GDI has recently found an island controlled by Nod. The GDI builds their base covertly in an attempt to take control, but Nod patrols will surely find them soon enough...

The Story : GDI managed to track down a Nod island where a rumor about Kane making his visit was heard. At first, they tried to assault it bluntly, only to fail quite miserably. It was not in vain, however, as a portion of Nod's base were destroyed, rendering its' vital inner defenses weakened.

However, the HQ could only provide small team to finish the job, and while the inner defenses were out, the outer layers were still guarded, making it impossible to send their best tanks right to the battlefield. GDI can only use several hovercrafts sent one by one to send their tanks to the Nod's backdoor, hopefully destroying it from the inside

Progress :

Coastal Epic :

Pre Alpha 0.0.1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Alpha 0.0.2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Alpha 0.0.3 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Alpha 0.0.4 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Alpha 0.0.5 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.1.0 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.2.0 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.2.1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.2.2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.2.3 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.2.4 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.2.5 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Coastal Small :

Beta 0.1.1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Beta 0.4 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Do not update your map before B0NG mirrors it and runs it on the testing server

Complete Progress Collection

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Play the map at your own risk...

Screenshots and steps

2aipvv4.jpg

GDI's base are hidden inside a cave, with a channel that leads to the open sea.

2vhsn11.jpg

They have their hovercraft standby behind their base, which cannot go to the open battle... These will constantly spawn within every minute with the maximum of 2. Initially they will be standing by on the base. While strong and heavily armed, these vehicles are VERY slow.

35cer03.jpg

The real purpose of these vehicles are to transport infantries around the beach. As you can see, you can control AND board the vehicle without taking up the non-existent passenger space

15o9zpg.jpg

The route consists of several hidden spots, including the cavern checkpoint. I will add spots where Nod can see these crafts so GDI troops will not be so easily transported

29glchj.jpg

Tiberium field is really near, so GDI will have no problem maintaining credits as long as they're not pushed back. Some towers are standing ready for protection, so why not just steamrolls the Nod with tanks in a frontal assault?

23ic5cl.jpg

Because of these... the twin obelisk prevents tank assault without costing a lot of credits. so the GDI will need to use the water or...

r10gv7.jpg

o6xsig.jpg

This path, which will take infantries safely outside without the need to worry about Obelisk burning your skin

Update 2

33ll8x1.jpg

Hovercrafts can now pickup tanks via a ramp on Refinery.

alp4ia.jpg

...even away to the sea

2mxrf7.jpg

This is the current top-down view. Note that the Nod part is heavily WIP, and it's not going to be all desert-like. Notice that now there are THREE obelisks there. You shall not pass...

Update 3

5zqrdx.jpg

Notes :

15ohvtu.jpg

2qvrzub.jpg

More access for hotties

119o6bq.jpg

Adds access to Obelisks for GDI

(be careful. the bottom hole can kill even Chem trooper)

2096ekk.jpg

Adds turrets for coastal defense

bdttvc.jpg

Added gap on Hovercraft landing zone. Now you can freely steal the hovers or get away from the sea if you accidentally fall off

2lxjn9l.jpg

Adds grand scene to fill the space

Critics and flames away!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Totem Arts Staff

Great Idead with the Hovercraft Trans Ways

2 Obi's and GDI got no AGT only some GT's? It's very soon for critics of this kind but NOD got 2 Obis and Stealth, maby some insane GDI Teamworks can handle this but for most of the Pup's it will be frustrating to play this? :S

Or GDI got a possible Way to counter with there Inf over the covered Pathes, NOD should be definitively got an PP. Otherwise this will be an huge Material War for GDI to get these Obis down.

I am tensely like it goes on, keep up the good work :)

Greez. DaKuja

• Totem Arts Staff

That's the next debate, should we add at least one AGT at the tank entrance? That would highly boost GDI's chance of survival.

Yeah, this map kinda forces GDI to hold out for a few minutes without tank assault

Yeah, I'm debating whether I should use PP or use a custom trigger that would destroy the Obis instantly (like rock slides and such. Most likely involving infs on infantry path as they're closer and all). Oh, players don't spawn inside Obi btw, although they can go ahead and rep it or access the PT inside. It's also GDI's optional objective as they'll automatically be destroyed when the base is done

Personally I like the idea of the map. Also love it that GDI does not seem

the stronger one like in the recent maps. But still, at least a guard tower for

gdi to be able to spot sbh's. Not necessarily AGT though. More turrets and

smaller guard towers would be more fun. Would help with defense early

but it dies out bit by bit.

I like the concept of it overall.. Especially the hovercraft.

• Totem Arts Staff

Yes, hovercraft will be a special feature but... need to be careful with it, as it stands, while having slow speed, it is very OP. It has the missiles and cannons (the cannons fire at the vehicle's direction, so it's not that OP) of the man-able turrets, and 1200 HP. The weapons destroy buildings in matters of seconds. The hitbox and exit spot (which is the clipping spot on the rear) are quite questionable too.

That's one of the reason why I blocked the path to the main base from the hovercraft spawn point. The landing point would also not be straight at the enemy's base, but rather at a spot close enough for infantries to mount assault

Why not add a third(forth?) route. Allow the hovercraft the ability to drop one or two vehicles off at at time in a rear entrance to Nods base. This would allow some vehicles to bypass the obis while still not being op. It would take a very long time for GDI to mount a successful attack this way as the hovers are very slow and can only carry a small amount of vehicles. Additionally you could make the path covered in tiberium so that infys cant take that route. I no this doesn't really help with the defense problem but might make vehicles more useful.

Great idea, like what i'm seeing so far! I can hardly judge the map size though. Can you post a top-down view of it?

What are the base-to-base timings?

How long do you expect people to walk (not drive) from base to base WITH obstruction that is from enemy's

The overall idea is really cool I think

• Totem Arts Staff

Hovercraft boarded vy Vehicle -

I would REALLY love to add that, however, Hovercrafts cannot drop vehicles because both entrances were obstructed by barrier, making it impossible to drive on. Even infantries need to use the catwalk to get on the platform due to its' size and can only exit by clipping through the rear rotors. I would need to make another class and code an ability for the vehicle to open the entrance as its' stock animation suggests (jump button would suffice). However, I don't know how to change the vehicle's collision.

I will see if I can script it somehow. I can't guarantee if it's network-capable as well

edit : I guess for Collision, I'll need to create a duplicate of the hovercraft's default PhysicsAsset. Then I need to make it so when I 'jump', the hatch will open

Map overview -

Sorry, as I said before, I've only done the GDI base only. If you look at the Obelisk shot, you'll see a large empty space, meaning that it's not built yet.

As far as walking goes, I'm thinking of Lakeside or Field distance, more like Lakeside maybe....

Edited by Guest

However, I don't know how to change the vehicle's collision.

Make a copy of the Skeletal mesh, edit that, select the bone you want the collision to be gone at, then remove the collision (i guess it has per poly collision like the other vehicles) It's a checkbox.

• Totem Arts Staff

However, I don't know how to change the vehicle's collision.

Make a copy of the Skeletal mesh, edit that, select the bone you want the collision to be gone at, then remove the collision (i guess it has per poly collision like the other vehicles) It's a checkbox.

No, I just recently browsed, what I need to duplicate and change is the PhysicsAsset of the mesh. The vehicle definitely doesn't use PerPoly Collision because you can clip through the floor on the rear.

• Totem Arts Staff

Good news for Hovercraft implementation. The hovercraft wasn't able to open up the ramp since it's missing the animset in the defaultproperties section... so I edit into this

Begin Object name=SVehicleMesh
	SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'RX_VH_HoverCraft.Mesh.SK_VH_HoverCraft'
	AnimTreeTemplate=AnimTree'RX_VH_HoverCraft.Anims.AT_VH_HoverCraft'
	PhysicsAsset=PhysicsAsset'RX_VH_HoverCraft.Mesh.SK_VH_HoverCraft_Physics'
	//MorphSets[0]=MorphTargetSet'RX_VH_Humvee.Mesh.MT_VH_Humvee'
	//HANDE'S EDIT
	AnimSets.Add(AnimSet'RX_VH_Hovercraft.Anims.AS_VH_Hovercraft')
	//EDIT ENDS HERE
End Object

So, to make it compatible with the game, I'll extend the Hovercraft class instead of editing the existing class, as well as making another VehicleFactory actor

I'm also thinking of making another AnimTree for the hovercraft. Right now, the hovercraft will INSTANTLY have the ramp open, with no blend-in with the normal closed animation. This can pose a problem. Another problem is that if you transport a really big vehicle like... say a Mammy, the driver would not be able to exit due to the exit place being on top of the platform instead of the sides. And the vehicle won't open up the entrance while the driver is still driving, which causes paradox problem. This can be partly solved by having the mammy move a bit forward though

That's why I want to change the animation to change based on the speed of the hovercraft, so while the vehicle is moving, the hatch is closed but while the vehicle is stopped, the hatch will open. A bit risky, tho... Another option is to tweak the exit spot of the thing, which should be more doable and effective

• Former Developers

Very interesting. I'd like to see how the hovercraft plays in a MP game. Though the setup for the hover craft have been ported over from black dawn. Originally we wanted the first mission to have a drivable hovercraft, but it proved to have a number of issues we could not solve at the time, so it was switched to an in game cut scene instead.

If you've already made a new hovercraft class off of ours, I'd suggest doing the same with it's weapons because they are massively OP for a multiplayer game.

• Totem Arts Staff
Very interesting. I'd like to see how the hovercraft plays in a MP game. Though the setup for the hover craft have been ported over from black dawn. Originally we wanted the first mission to have a drivable hovercraft, but it proved to have a number of issues we could not solve at the time, so it was switched to an in game cut scene instead.

If you've already made a new hovercraft class off of ours, I'd suggest doing the same with it's weapons because they are massively OP for a multiplayer game.

Yeah, I've tested that. It's so OP that it can destroy a PP with just holding left and right click. That's why I originally intended it to not be able to enter the battle. Then again, it has 24 shells of right-click Gun Emplacement and 9 seemingly buffed left-click Rocket Emplacement

Also, a screw up on my part. The map turned out to be too big, almost having travel distance of X-Mountain. I don't really know how to fix this...

Hey,

Just downloaded your map and had ago on it with a few people and do love the idea have to admit, I did get a shock when my humvee got a triple hit from the Obelisks in one go lol

As mention before I do like the hovercraft idea but guessing it needs some changes/work as very hard to drive and not to mention slow, Is the map meant to be quite this big, seems to be scaled so that it takes a very long time to move around, and the NOD base seems way way to big for whats in the base but other than the scale I really think its a great idea :) Like the thought of having one side already dug in.

• Totem Arts Staff

thanks :) yes, beware the triple beam that will most likely insta-kill you if you drive less than a healthy Mammoth

so, the map is huge, but was not meant to be THAT huge (and actually wasn't meant to be huge at all... It's a screw up that I cannot fix for now... The map is not scaled, just miscalculated... And Nod's base is generally unfinished so that's why it looked so empty

And yeah, aside from being heavy the hovercraft seems to be harder to drive in the built game than in SDK, somehow. I could've sworn at least I got more freedom there. Wanted to make more maneuverability, but I fell asleep before I can't test out

Will also fix that hovercraft ramp. I spawned the wrong class

• Totem Arts Staff
Most probably me as quite the amateur when it comes to setting up a server lol took me way longer than it should have :P

Heh, well, I just updated the map. The Hovercraft will be rather problematic for vehicle transport due to it being pressed on the ground. It didn't pose the same problem in the SDK, so it's rather difficult. I couldn't raise it up high enough either

After trying the map with a couple of fellow clan members we did find the vehicles once in the hovercraft where quite odd, see to be bouncing all over the place and once a humvee even glitched out of the hovercraft as it started flying around abit to much, Not sure how you would find a way round that either as people will always move and twitch there vehicles around once in the hovercraft. Pity though as its great fun lol

• Totem Arts Staff

Hmm, well, I dunno. The vehicle's physics is rather hard to tweak. I'll need to see to it myself. I can't create a server and no one around me plays RenX. Maybe you can invite me to the game someday so I can look into it?

Usually I left the boarded vehicles empty, so I can't really reproduce the problem, but you can do so to play it safe

• Totem Arts Staff

Pre Alpha 2/Alpha is available : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

5zqrdx.jpg

Notes :

Added more GDI's infiltration points

15ohvtu.jpg

2qvrzub.jpg

Added ledge to cover Obelisk infiltrator units

119o6bq.jpg

(be careful. the bottom hole can kill even Chem trooper)

Added Nod Turret set to counter hovercraft

2096ekk.jpg

Added gap on Hovercraft landing zone...

bdttvc.jpg

Cut some empty areas on Nod's base

2lxjn9l.jpg

Rewritten Readme, adding strategies

• Totem Arts Staff

LINE, if you have. I don't update WhatsApp anymore and Skype just don't work on my phone for some reason, and I haven't downloaded Steam yet, not that I can access it over here. My ID name is same as my username here.

Gonna cancel the testing for awhile, everything becomes messed up on the Launcher, and I haven't managed to rename the server yet... besides, you guys will most likely experience 300+ ping

Sorry, i don't have line, but i can look into it for this occasion.

Also, i don't really care about ping for testing purposes. i've gotten used to 800+ ping at times, you simply change your tactics to be more lag friendly, i suppose. Don't ask me how i surived that. I was a foolish man...

If you want, hop on TmX IRC (irc.thematrixren.net) or send me a pm with a preferred method of contact and I'll get a test server set up for you. I've been hosting Ruud's server while he makes his Crash Site map.

I've been thinking of making my map public as well.. so we might just unlock the server and host all test maps there?

Hmmm, thanks B0ng. I'll tether my internet first and hop on the irc

Your map looks great...

I had an idea like that,

GDI have to assault Nod

GDI - Hovercraft + planes, start in ocean with WF etc

Nod - 3 Obis, 1 guarding each corner and 1 powerplant in the middle of the 3 : )

Stuff like that but not going into detail : )

• Totem Arts Staff
Hmmm, thanks B0ng. I'll tether my internet first and hop on the irc

Your map looks great...

I had an idea like that,

GDI have to assault Nod

GDI - Hovercraft + planes, start in ocean with WF etc

Nod - 3 Obis, 1 guarding each corner and 1 powerplant in the middle of the 3 : )

Stuff like that but not going into detail : )

You need at least a HoN to make Infantry Barracks work and vice versa. Don't ask why

Still, a turtling survival map would be interesting, but not made for Marathon. We just need to find a way to make sure Nod players are always at the top score than GDI's, so when the time runs out, Nod wins... or the other way around. :P

• Totem Arts Staff

Map updated - not sure if this is for the better. Guys on test-map server can review it first before they actually replace the old version with this...

Download : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Current Map :

eqxmdf.jpg

(it's not that different, but one would see Nod's base are much closer now, and that there were some lingering buildings randomly scattered across the island)

Fixes(special thanks to DoctorB0ng, MrSunshine, and HeliumBunnie) :

- Rock Bridge glitch

- Obelisk choke points now disallow vehicles

- Nod Base now pushed forth (again)

- Tiberium Foliage *should be* fixed (not tested yet)

Tweaks :

- Adds turrets/destroyed turret husk on every wall

- Adds turrets on Obelisk

- Adds 2 more guard towers on GDI's main entrance

- Path changes due to base positioning

- Adds destroyed buildings as scenery and covers, especially at Nod's base

- Hovercraft SWARM missiles now weighs 2 missiles per magazine, with 20 seconds reload time

- Hovercraft Cannon takes half a second to fire cannons, has 8 per magazine, with 16 seconds reload time

Shots :

Where the Refinery once was in the first iteration, I put this...

e8my2v.jpg

(Complete with dead bodies of exposed chems)

On Nod entrance, added these for scenery and cover against turrets

epkpr7.jpg

(Basically what happened after the first GDI assault. Oh, one destroyed HoN is buried in the sand while the other had one side on fire. Those obelisks are not functional because.... well, two PPs was blown outside)

To compensate the open space in infantry path, added these

2lnyann.jpg

(Basically an early guerilla operation by GDI, which obviously failed)

On GDI entrance, added these

2s984uu.jpg

(The origins of how GDI managed to get Tiberium field so close to entrance. AGT is destroyed btw)

To block Obis' path for vehicle, added these

r8i8sy.jpg

(They say Nod is quite unconventional. So, there comes unconventional barricade :P)

Also, little fun fact...

fd5504.jpg

(Apparently the physics works perfectly when simulating weights. I would not recommend shipping 2 mammies at once, as they make Hovercraft harder to control on ground and sinks it down, possibly short-circuiting the tanks)

you can tell me how to rescale the size of this map, as in which space needs to go and such. But main functions of the paths still need to be retained...

Also, building time is starting to take WAY too long. Lighting takes 1 hour to build WITHOUT lightmass. This is becoming a problem. If someone would be so kind as to offer lighting build help, I would upload the unbuilt map for you to build the lighting, because if not, the performance hit would be too severe to play this map

• Totem Arts Staff

Tweaking the size again...

2yyywib.jpg

21e68tg.jpg

Adding sniper points on infantry point

14d0bgn.jpg

Download : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yEH_ ... sp=sharing

Tweaks of 0.0.4 includes

- Added ending flyby cinematic

- Added Post Processing in Tiberium fields outside GDI's own

- reduces highligh and midtone tweaks on Tiberium field post processing volume. Adds heavy motion blur effect to simulate poisoning effects (chem trooper is affected as well)

Edited by Guest

• Totem Arts Staff

To come for 0.0.5

- Proper block on Nod's heavily infected Refinery. Right now people can bypass the barbed wires

- Shorten Nod Tiberium field distance and fix the pathing. For now, Nod harvester will self destruct because they take too long to deliver the tiberium back to base

- Less health for Nod turrets as a compensation for their ridiculous number

To consider for 0.0.5

1. MOAR SPACE CUTTING

2. Nod PP overload mechanic (it already works. The only thing to consider is the balance and the need)

0 Damages PP and Turrets by 20 every half second

0 To overload, go to the dangling MCT on the nearest broken power plant, that has 2 functional PT that fall off from the wall. the other PP had their consoles down.

0 Alert will go off upon activation. Nod's PP will be warned by Cabaal and gets electrical sparks on the reactor, some PTs and MCTs

0 Overloader gets points and credits as if they actually do the damage normally

+ Unique way to destroy and defend Nod's base

+ Can soften the turrets, if Nod repairs the needed turret in time and GDI works well with the overload

+ Nod can buy things from the non-functional PP used to overload the functional PP

+ Lasts for few seconds, can only overload once every about 10-20 minutes, Nod can prematurely restabilize

- Since Nod's base is already too big and has 2 PP to defend, and 3 Obis to defend outside, balance is still a question

- Even with huge flare on the pole, may not be noticeable enough

2aamus1.jpg

xpwj00.jpg

2lt9pd.jpg

PS : Buying from wall is too mainstream. One of these days, let peeps buy things from the floor :D

That's really cool! You've got 2 prefab's in the level from which you edited one right?

I like the cool effects and stuff :)

I think that having 2 functional PP's in the level might cause a bit distress for the game because, the prefab powerplant is registered as part of the Nod base by code, have you already tested how this relates to winning / losing the game?

for ex; when the whole Nod base is destroyed and the 'broken' PP still stands, does Nod still lose? (I think they'll still be alive due to the building still standing)

Also, when they lose their 'broken' PP, do the base defenses shut down? I don't know exactly how this works in code, whether it checks for a 2nd PP for the power to still be up..

I remember in my map, that, when I used the prefab WF at first, it sort of messed up the gameplay. When I destroyed this WF, the map registered the building being destroyed (also in the TAB menu, and bottom of the screen) whilst the 2nd one was still up.. bit confusing there. That's why I used a shell, to maintain the code that's used for most 'generic' building setups..

I wonder how this works out! will be quite interesting. I see you're having a lot of progress on your map! Awesome dude, keep up the good work! I love the amount of effort and enthusiasm you put into this. I wish I had the same amount of time you have.. What's your skype name? Maybe we can get into contact some more for the development.

• Totem Arts Staff

No, I didn't. I use the broken PP static mesh on the map, which only has 2 PT and 1 MCT (which you only touches to activate for now). It doesn't count to building destruction

so... in other words, you have 3 PPs to defend. One of which is non-functional, indestructible, and not counting to objective. It's also protected by turrets (LOTS OF THEM)

• Totem Arts Staff
Allright! Very interesting...

How did you get the terminal on the floor to work then? Is that building a prefab?

I'll download the map and look at it 6 hours from now

No...

If you look at the TestMap_MP in the SDK, you'll see a PT OUTSIDE the building, on a wall.

Then if you try looking with wireframe view, you'll see an invisible model of PT, which is an actor, I forgot what it's called. But it certainly is not the visible PT screen static mesh on the wall...

BTW, if you want to help me build lighting, I'm gonna appreciate it. It takes about an hour WITHOUT lightmass. God knows how long it will be with lightmass

• Totem Arts Staff
Sure, just poke me on IRC / TS3 / Skype (if i can get your username).

But that's interesting, that PT thing, that means we don't need to have specific spots for a PT.. I smell possiblities.

Meh, I just DL'ed TS and my Skype messes up all the time. So ok, IRC

LOL, just don't buy vehicles from the 'external' PT. It works, but then you'll be away from base :P