Mines system suggestion

Axesor

• Totem Arts Staff

Frankly there appears to be a language gap around here. Remember that guy who asked for foreign language for RenX?

This is probably why people don't respond. They don't understand a single thing we say...

In case you missed the topic I'm referring : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=74949

Frankly there appears to be a language gap around here. Remember that guy who asked for foreign language for RenX? This is probably why people don't respond. They don't understand a single thing we say...

This is, IF they do not understand English, another issue. However:

- Last week we votekicked a guy after the vote failed once cause the enemy rather voted no than keeping the game honest

- The guy who got kicked was informed at least 20(!) times about what he did, but no reply

- He returned and started complaining that it was unfair what I did, and so on... So he clearly spoke English

- Later on he continued complaining: "Yeah now I am back and still bullshit is over and the Ref is gone. Round lost."

- We LOST the ref cause of him putting 20 mines in front. He was INGAME when it died, he was messaged before and after ref went down cause of mines but he didn't read nor get ANY game message.

So this is not a problem with English, it's a mentality problem. I can come up with a few players who play every day and still go solo all the way. When they join you better watch out for mines, tanks getting given away, etc.

Fuhtermore if people do not speak English:

- English is the main language in entertainment land (movies, articles,games)

- It's ok if your English isn't perfect

- I don't get why you would try to be part of a game community or participate on the internet at all and still don't know ANY English. When I was 6 and first started gaming I learned myself English.

So I really think that you should at least understand a basic part about the language. I mean how can you even play if you don't know what your unit does, what it is, and how to use it? It really doesn't make sense to me that you join a multiplayer game to fool around, ignore every attempt to contact you and do not speak English.

Maybe you could implement a mine tutorial overlay that could then be forced to be shown to a player if enough fellow team mates vote to show it. It could be done with a few other topics too and would certainly help new players out that don't read chat log

I'd create the votes all the time to random people. And random people would vote yes, you know it.

If that was made a thing, at least make it play once a game. If it were spammable, it could be abused by enough voter supidity.

Well just add the possibility for a team to call a vote (visible only for the team) to ban one of the team from mining and remove all of his mines for the duration of the match. (Of course this option should only be available with at least 5 players to avoid griefing)

Even this is better. I am honestly suprised someone didn't make a mutator that allows moderators to disarm anyone's mines (they are moderators, they wouldn't use them to cheat, besides just make it able to disarm any friendly mines in that case)

This mine system will only end up creating more problems and frustration.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

To fix, or at least improve the current mining system is to:

- JeepRubi[Dev]: not 1st one placed disappear, but ones which are: furthest from the base/are in large groups.

- Add an in-game warning when mine limit is full and you currently have mines equipped.

- Flashing mine counter when someone is overmining (and when mines decrease).

- Bold/Italicize the mine counter

- Mods should be able to send obvious text to any/all of the player's screens.

- Repair gun: Right-click disarms team mines, left-click repairs them. Disarming should be 3x faster than repairing.

- salarite: with the next update, server moderators will be able to properly disable all mines placed by a person, which will help

- JeepRubi[Dev]: not 1st one placed disappear, but ones which are: furthest from the base/are in large groups.

- Add an in-game warning when mine limit is full and you currently have mines equipped.

- Repair gun: Right-click disarms team mines, left-click repairs them. Disarming should be 3x faster than repairing.

- salarite: with the next update, server moderators will be able to properly disable all mines placed by a person, which will help

I agree. If you wanna keep current mining system, so this is the way how to improve it.

While I was reading this points I got an idea. If I may suggest I would add one more point:

-There would be 2 separated mine limits:

1st will count every mine in base. Each mine, to a distance of 1-2 meter from buildings, counts. This would be shared mine limit.

2nd "outside" mine limit. It will be for each player individual to maximum of 6 mines.

I rather combine the above 2 mine limit ideas, with JeepRubi's. Have 1 team mine limit of 28, and mines farthest from structures and closest to the largest concentration of mines disarm first (ones farthest from base, and any mines around 3 other existing mines). Then, have 1 mine limit for each person of 6, meaning 3 defenders with mines can up it a bit but it starts with a lower team limit to counter that a bit.

Oh, that, and also possibly, when "mine limit is full", prevent players standing within throwing distance of 4 mines or so far away from base, from placing another mine. Kind of like "beacon spam" already checks for, but with other mines instead of structures. You can't place a mine that is so close to 4 other mines.

Maybe just make the mine counter yellow (and bold) when it is at the limit, and then flash red briefly when it decreases. Then have it flash green for a player mining whenever they place a new mine, but (team-wide) red when they are overmining.

Then just PM a player for every mine that they place that is over the limit ("You are overmining! Your team's mines are disappearing! Please check the mine counter in your HUD"). Sometimes mining over the limit is done on purpose, and other times it's done accidentally. Then the team message whenever a person mines 3 or more over the limit in a row (like TMX has) should be game-wide too. This could help the newcomers realize that the mines are not unlimited.

I think that would be the simplest and best way to go about it.

Had this game the other day that was awesome.

fierce Battle between 2 teams (wall).

We (Gdi) finaly could win if we succeed this time to cover the ion on roof of airstrip the last reamining building of NOD.

I rush my orca to the roof of the Airstrip ..Got my orca destroyed ,fell on roof ,and As a Hotwire I layed all I had (Mines c4,) to secure the ion .

We succed and we won.

All to say that further mines of our base/overmining can be a necessity in some case

I dont like spamming that you are overmining. I am often spending a lot of time of fixing of bad placed mines and I dont like that it would spamm me all the time and then it shows bit blue message "Agresor is overmining near refinery" This is just pissing off-Iam the bad one. Kick Agresor? Spaming warning messages is no the way.

I start to think that I would prefer that when a max mines is layed that wouldn't be possible to place more .

Game will tell 'max mines reached disarmed other to layed new one' (or smtg like that)

And every team tech with mouse right button could disarm any team mines in a snap if they wish

Mines will always be problem as newbies and other will have to learn the best ways

Edited : This wont work because if some mines are layed in the other base they wil stay there and will be wasted :S so not a reliable solution ;) unless they disappering after X time if not in our base

In all those cases, there has got to be a way, the game can prioritize disappearing mines, to ones furthest from base, and around the largest clusters of friendly mines. That way, no matter how many disappear, it will leave some in doorways by priority, even if overmining decreases door count to 2.

It would especially be helpful if this included recently layed ones, so if someone throws 2 while mine limit reached, every mine would disappear when they threw their next one.

Edited by Guest

In all those cases, there has got to be a way, the game can prioritize disappearing mines, to ones furthest from base, and around the largest clusters of friendly mines. That way, no matter how many disappear, it will leave some in doorways by priority, even if overmining decreases door count to 2.

It would especially be helpful if this included recently layed ones, so if someone throws 2 while mine limit reached, every last mine would disappear instantly if they were throwing them in stupid field slots.

Seem a good solution ^^ at first look :)

I like what did CampinJeff + additionaly me suggested. I see this as the best solution for current mining issue :o

-There would be 2 separated mine limits:

1st will count every mine in base. Each mine, to a distance of 1-2 meter from buildings, counts. This would be shared mine limit.

2nd "outside" mine limit. Each player will be able to place 6 mines out of base/building and will count for each player individualy just like remote c4.

It would especially be helpful if this included recently layed ones, so if someone throws 2 while mine limit reached, every last mine would disappear instantly if they were throwing them in stupid field slots.

This could be a possibly good addition even with the current mining system.