Sprinting hitbox, headshots.

Gaysha

Do you have a command or something to show exactly where hitboxes are while players are sprinting?

Both of these shots turned out to be headshots. It seems like the hitbox should be moved slightly more forward when you sprint and the head appears to be too low aswell.

nowip.jpg.cbbcb1b85784a41f6ba5c7eac5d97f0c.jpg333.png[/attachment]

KzBnLb.gif

After getting frustrated with when and how i got headshots at sprinting players from the side i decided to try out aiming further back, and lower. I feel like i all of a sudden have superpowers: Shots that are aimed at shoulder-height almost as far back as the top of the repairgun on an engineers back consistently hit. As opposed to aiming at the actual player animation where they almost always will miss. I just spent some time looking at footage frame-by-frame and it seems that the entire head will pass your crosshair before the targetbox appears on the screen.

I dont know if its my low-graphics settings or something but i do generally have 60ping so i doubt its lag. So im curios, where are the hitboxes when you sprint?

If you shoot at someone who is "jogging"/standing upright, you generally hit by shooting directly at them. The head's hitbox is also actually slightly above their head. This is really in contrast to the sprinting hitbox' where its often lower and way wayy back.

Every game is like this to an extent but generally you do hit when you aim at the animation, this isnt the case when it comes to this specific scenario. Ive heard this mentioned by a few other people aswell, im not the only one experiencing it.

1.png.deaa1ac444780825aca22815f4e4c832.png

333.png.34f281adee39596aa515887da65037bb.png

• Totem Arts Staff

This ^

Also, I'll see if I can't get some footage/pictures later, but I'm 99% certain the head hit-box on the crouching animation is set too high. Hitting someone that's crouching right between the eyes generally results in a body shot. Hell, I've had people who I couldn't see anything but their head somehow receive body-shot damage.

Is sprinting/ducking client-sided or server-sided?

Could the problem just be that the character is moving so fast that the server sees them in one location and the client sees them in another? It would make sense if sprinting was server-side, because the direct hit damage is calculated client-sided afaik, so shooting slightly behind the enemy and hitting them would mean that the person is in the visual position server-side, but but the hitbox is slightly delayed client-sided.

Just a theory.

Here, i just found this perfect piece of footage wherein you see target box change from HON to the player once the hitbox registers in the reticle. As you see, its around the top of the repairgun and definetly behind the actual head.

Looks like hitboxes might be static on the x/y axis, making some animations misleading.

And the character/hitbox displacement doesn't really scale with speed, there are plenty of UE3 shooters faster than renx with the same or less hitbox lag. It's not something that can be made perfect here

Here you go guys, a video of 2 characters crouching, shot from the side.

The entire head does not register anything when crouching and you do indeed get bodyshots above and behind the head.

I didnt have the patience to actually find the heads hitbox more accurately, so i made an awful quick drawing of what i guessed it looks like. Thanks to Roku for being guinea pig!

Im guessing the sprinting's hitbox acts the same way due to both the animations being bent forward like that.

Looks like hitboxes might be static on the x/y axis, making some animations misleading.

And the character/hitbox displacement doesn't really scale with speed, there are plenty of UE3 shooters faster than renx with the same or less hitbox lag. It's not something that can be made perfect here

If it works like Renegade, where some measurements are calculated serverside, and others are calculated clientside, then it is different than those UE3 games. It's essentially 2 separate games attempting to form one smooth one, but they will never really be exactly the same. Almost all of those games calculate everything clientsided.

In Renegade, if you've ever received or done just splash damage or just direct hit damage, but not the full damage (splash+direct), it was simply the disagreement with the server and the client on where specific things are occurring on the map.

Again, just a theory for the hitboxes though, because it could be any number of things. I suppose that if it is the same issue as the crouching, that its a separate issue entirely anyway though. It looks like it is just the hitboxes lining up with whatever the past animations were for these actions, rather than the current ones?

• Totem Arts Staff
Looks like hitboxes might be static on the x/y axis, making some animations misleading

You mean X/Z axis? Unlike Unity, Z means up and down, Y means front and back in Unreal Engine

Ideally the Sniper should follow UT2K4 headshot rules : Bone detection. If I'm correct, that's hoe it works on UT3 as well. Z detection is as outdated as UT99

This is actually the case usually in Unreal games as well oddly enough. Another really good thing that Super Monday Night Combat demonstrates. You can get hits on someone in a giant jackbot grapple, by firing where their character stood when they started the grapple, despite the animation showing their character way up on top of the bot. Except somehow I think in that situation, the head hitbox moves with the animation, which is oddly enough always unique and intricate as hell.

Someone mentioned bone detection. That is actually how SMNC works for just the head. The perk of this, is having to hit the core of the head, no silly skipping the edge of the head for a shot. It also follows better. In SMNC, you can shoot their original grapple position, BUT FOR HEADSHOTS, you had to shoot their model, and it HAD to be the core of the head, not the edge.

• Totem Arts Staff

Someone mentioned bone detection. That is actually how SMNC works for just the head. The perk of this, is having to hit the core of the head, no silly skipping the edge of the head for a shot. It also follows better. In SMNC, you can shoot their original grapple position, BUT FOR HEADSHOTS, you had to shoot their model, and it HAD to be the core of the head, not the edge.

As is the case for UT3. my failed headshots kills was particularly because I aimed too high sometimes, making it as normal kills

As is the case for UT3. my failed headshots kills was particularly because I aimed too high sometimes, making it as normal kills

That is a call of duty as hell way to play, aiming for the very top edge of a person's head.

In real life, it would bleed a lot, but it would at least have to hit some skullbone to be highly lethal, and even then hitting the grey matter itself is where the magnitude of lethality comes from depending on how massive the bullet. I can see a massive bullet being a big issue with the bone alone, but rifle rounds can chip bone without removing a hunk of it or causing any brain issues.