Red Alert 2 Modification

Ska-Ara

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to ask. How does the mirage tank on the middle picture rotate it's gun turret? The boxes attached to the turret at the back will get stuck on the hull. On this picture you can't see but you published pictures from it's back view, and I think I saw the engine compartment is above the rotational line of the turret. Oh I rush to add, I like your work and your dedication!

I wanted to ask. How does the mirage tank on the middle picture rotate it's gun turret? The boxes attached to the turret at the back will get stuck on the hull. On this picture you can't see but you published pictures from it's back view, and I think I saw the engine compartment is above the rotational line of the turret. Oh I rush to add, I like your work and your dedication!

In Red Alert 2 mirage tank can't rotate it's turret so the answer to your question probably is that it can't. But maybe it will work differently in this one who knows.

@ super the door is like the original one

Soviet_War_Factory.JPG

@ thommy thats pretty cool what you do offer, the problem is that i havent any kind of props at the moment for the mod. so feel free to make any kind of map which will be ra 2 like.

but i dont know if this possible at the moment

Update from Allied Ore Ref:

ipowuqdk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Long Time no Update :P

So heres the newest Model

4ewtlzmw.jpg

the Completly Fabruary i will have no updates.. because i have to work alot and have to check some "chances" to raise my rank at my job see you around dudes!

Edit: ah here the Tesla Coil Model from inside the UDK .

The Red Color should be a bit darker i think. but the rest is quite good

cfuyv2x3.png

• Totem Arts Staff
Long Time no Update :P

So heres the newest Model

4ewtlzmw.jpg

the Completly Fabruary i will have no updates.. because i have to work alot and have to check some "chances" to raise my rank at my job see you around dudes!

Edit: ah here the Tesla Coil Model from inside the UDK .

The Red Color should be a bit darker i think. but the rest is quite good

cfuyv2x3.png

Freaking awesome

• Former Developers

Fantastic work!

I recommend you get a hold of substance painter, and use that to create texture presets for allied and soviet assets. Then just quickly drag & drop presets onto all your assets for instant textures. Not only will your textures be consistent, their detailing will also be unique to each asset for better results.

There are also some amazing UVing softwares out there such as UVLayout, which make good/efficient UVs in a fraction of the speed of 3ds max or maya.

Fantastic work!

I recommend you get a hold of substance painter, and use that to create texture presets for allied and soviet assets. Then just quickly drag & drop presets onto all your assets for instant textures. Not only will your textures be consistent, their detailing will also be unique to each asset for better results.

There are also some amazing UVing softwares out there such as UVLayout, which make good/efficient UVs in a fraction of the speed of 3ds max or maya.

I will take a look on this Stuff.. thx Mate .

@ Thommy thx for the words :D

Teslacoil was modelled by Hm Shark and Metamind made the textures

That picture is made in his texturing edit-software (is it substance Painter?), which supports metallic and roughness maps, UDK doesn't have that as far as I know, unfortunately.

I've been very dissapointed when I made my materials for my custom meshes look really good in Substance Painter and Designer, and then have them look pretty 'meh' in UDK.

I still think the material looks good for the most part, but the metal part in the middle needs to be more specular.

Super excited to use some of these new buildings and base defense models.

I think some new gameplay objectives / defense objects will bring a fresh experience.

Any plan for how the game mechanics will work with the ore refinery? I see half the models made here need texturing still, and animation, and code itself in the game to make them actually function.

All this new stuff is amazing, but coordination needs to begin with map makers if we want to see it all in action.

Super excited to use some of these new buildings and base defense models.

I think some new gameplay objectives / defense objects will bring a fresh experience.

Any plan for how the game mechanics will work with the ore refinery? I see half the models made here need texturing still, and animation, and code itself in the game to make them actually function.

All this new stuff is amazing, but coordination needs to begin with map makers if we want to see it all in action.

hey redline.

at the moment i dont have any clue how to make it all by my own.

i was looking over 2 month activly for guys who want to help me with different parts of the projects. but the truth is none of the about 10+ppl who i asked have time/mood to help me.

so at the moment

i have me as a modeller

metamind as texturer but with broken pc at these days

hmshark who is modeller too

and thommy who want to make a map when the time is right

we need much more helpers .. 1-2 texturers 1-2 scripters ect

so at this moment i dont believe that we can finish this project on a state i wished to have.

well see what the future will be^^

I want to say that the amount of additional code actually required should be relatively nominal. When you actually get the models and such ready, I might help you out as far as that goes. Please note however, that I will not help with user interfaces (I generally avoid working on UIs).

I think you should scale back the ambition (unfortunately). I think focusing on getting 1 specific building or 1 specific base defense model (like tesla coil for instance) into the game would be a great first step. The total red alert 2 conversion should happen slowly over time. There is already so much accomplished in my opinion.

I think we need a discussion on what some of these new buildings might do differently so mappers such as myself can start thinking on how to design a map around them. Cliffside should be "relatively done" by the end of this month so I'm looking for something fresh/new to work with.

• Former Developers

Agree with Agent, coding wise, there isn't much about it that will make things complicated. Its more so about getting your buildings, vehicles, characters & weapons up modeled and textured.

I suggest going for a basic list of assets first, and build up on it. So a good start would be to take a map like Islands and switch it out with RA2 buildings. So focus on the 3 main buildings, get your free infantry characters, and focus on the basic vehicles first. Once you have the necessary assets, everything after that will be a piece of cake.

Do you have a list of what assets you have modeled and or textured so far?

I want to say that the amount of additional code actually required should be relatively nominal. When you actually get the models and such ready, I might help you out as far as that goes. Please note however, that I will not help with user interfaces (I generally avoid working on UIs).

i dont mean "new" code.. i mean all that kind of code "scripts" for the vehicles and the buildings.

But i thank you alot for offering help :) with the ui is ok for me :D

I think you should scale back the ambition (unfortunately). I think focusing on getting 1 specific building or 1 specific base defense model (like tesla coil for instance) into the game would be a great first step. The total red alert 2 conversion should happen slowly over time. There is already so much accomplished in my opinion.

I think we need a discussion on what some of these new buildings might do differently so mappers such as myself can start thinking on how to design a map around them. Cliffside should be "relatively done" by the end of this month so I'm looking for something fresh/new to work with.

how i said some posts before.. i dont wan to do all at first.

the first big step is just to replace all exisiting buildings and vehicles, after that i want to make all the interior and assets for different stuff.

but yea you totaly right that i should first finish one whole model to see a result and hopefully get more motivated^^

as far as i know the buildings have no specifications.. maybe a basement but nothing special i think.

Agree with Agent, coding wise, there isn't much about it that will make things complicated. Its more so about getting your buildings, vehicles, characters & weapons up modeled and textured.

I suggest going for a basic list of assets first, and build up on it. So a good start would be to take a map like Islands and switch it out with RA2 buildings. So focus on the 3 main buildings, get your free infantry characters, and focus on the basic vehicles first. Once you have the necessary assets, everything after that will be a piece of cake.

Do you have a list of what assets you have modeled and or textured so far?

the main idea isnt bad.. buthow i said.. i cannot texture/uvunwrapp very well and im also to less skilled to make organic stuff like humans. so for this parts i need alot of help.

on the threads #1 post here viewtopic.php?f=135&t=75056#p147753

you see the actuall progress.

• 3 weeks later...

So guys,

i dont want to talk around the Problems.

i got a new job and i also have to move around. Cuz this new Situation i absolutely have no time to work on this Mod in the next weeks/month.

Its very pitty with the new situation. On one side i woud love to have more time to work on this mod. On the other side.. i love the new money too :D .

I hope no one is now anger with me. But i think everyone can understand this.

I will update all my models in the next days. SO everyone can use it.

If anyone want to take lead of this mod he can write me too :)

I dont know if shark and meta want to work here still forward. We´ll see.

Sry for the bad news dudes

Hey Ska,

Agreed it would be a shame to see this mod stop in it's tracks as you have done a really good job on the models so far and enjoy looking at all the new updates you post have to admit, but as with everything life/job/money comes first which I think we can all understand.

Would be great if all your progress could be continued by someone, let's hope someone worthy appears, Fingers Crossed, and hope one day you find time to return :)

G

I dont think that posting all his hard work on the internet is a good idea.... People could possibly use the models for something other than this mod....

because that i want to share it :D

when someone can use this stuff for his own work.. like a game.. render pictures.. to see how i worked.. then im honored to help him with this way :)

so my stuff has more then one use in this world :D

Just got this somewhat related idea:

if there was to be a Chronosphere in RA2 mod for RenX, it could be used as "time bubble" (instead of it's original function to teleport vehicles).

Technology already exists in Unreal Engine 3, it would just need to be reskinned: https://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Deploy ... asis_Field

@testmen its not that complicated to port some stuff around. so i think we dont need the slomo area :D but thx for the idea.

@variuos numbers

at the moment metamind is still working in the background. so this mod isnt dead. its just that i have less/no time. but i want to work again on it in the future :)

• 2 weeks later...