Red Alert 2 Modification

Ska-Ara

The model looks great! I do like the extra width mostly it seems to give the model a nice touch. Firstly the extra width looked strange from the front view but now it looks fitting.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait what awesome models you bring us next :)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The model looks great! I do like the extra width mostly it seems to give the model a nice touch. Firstly the extra width looked strange from the front view but now it looks fitting.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait what awesome models you bring us next :)

thx dude :) i do the best to mak them good looking. :)

today i startet with making the Grizzly Tank

Heres the very basic start . The weird looking one is the Original Voxel Model from RA2

27xtsuwy.jpg

9tzvp4aq.jpg

• 1 month later...

I hope he is doing as good or better than I. I like this idea. I am working on something and can understand how working on something that is relatively new to you can take time, but I hope the voxel translations give him something to mount as a vehicle model first, and then he can worry about their ingame script later.

So.. whats up? it's been a month, how are you doing?

yea still living and alive. i tried some stuff at this time to expand my texture skills but im horribly failed xD

the most tuts in the internet just shows texturing simply models.. i found none which explains how to make a map of a fully tank or something similar :mad:

i think i take the texturing to the very end after i made all models.. maybe i find someone who can help me.

next week i try to show some new vehicles

I guess it's just a matter of photoshopping. Maybe put some metal texture overlay or such like that...

make "color" and "details " on the map itself is not the problem. to make this make is the problem.

i can easly unwrap a cube.. but to unwrap a tank with all his details.. thats very hard

• Totem Arts Staff

uh well... unwrapping takes patience. In my past experience I textured the high poly version as good as possible without unwrapping it (you're not even gonna put it in-game anyways. Then I project the texture AND the poly detail with the unwrapped low-poly version to form the normal and diffuse map. Projection are not always that easy due to all those raycheck misses, but you're gonna need it for the normal map anyways so make it as great as possible

What's the poly count of your tank btw?

You're completely missing the whole point there! You unwrap a boring version, then AFTERwards you polish that diffuse map with photoshop!

thats true. but WHEN im photoshopping a map.. it should be look like something usefull.

f.e. if i just take automaticly unwrap und do a flatten mode.

it would look ugly... something similar to this google pic

https://optimisticpainter.files.wordpre ... our_uv.jpg

but to work good in photoshop it would need something more tiny up like this

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/cnc ... 0502100624

uh well... unwrapping takes patience. In my past experience I textured the high poly version as good as possible without unwrapping it (you're not even gonna put it in-game anyways. Then I project the texture AND the poly detail with the unwrapped low-poly version to form the normal and diffuse map. Projection are not always that easy due to all those raycheck misses, but you're gonna need it for the normal map anyways so make it as great as possible

What's the poly count of your tank btw?

and thats another matter.. im not that skilled that i can make for every model a high and a low poly version. you guys dont need to expect that my mod will look like the renx qualitiy. thats not MY goal und more less my skill level. i want to make a game where u can play and feel RA2 like. and in my opionion the ppl will love to drive a gryzz tank even its not looking like a "game dev skill" vehicle ^^

so in this kind my model has now about 3k polys.. and the finished one will have about 5k

Is this going to be a new mode or are these going to be new maps that can be played in the regular game. It would be great if they were just maps, this way they can be added to the regular rotation and we can have a mix or renegade and red alert :)

• 2 weeks later...
Super-Kh":dt3zcphw]I can't wait to play this >.<

playing with the IFV alone would be fun :P

I have changed my plans a little bit. After the Allied Vehicles i start to make soviet vehicles .

After that i try to make them all usable for the game. So it could be easier to play them alone as with the complete mod :D

i think for the most ppl its a good solution to try my mod and try some good old ra 2 vehicles :D maybe i find someone who want to make a ra 2 map for me xD

Those IFV tanks look awesome! Great work Ska-Ara!

thx dude :)

Make sure the model is properly prepared for him. Name your bones properly and without spaces. like this.

b_root

b_gun

b_turret

b_muzzleflashsocket

b_wheel

etc.

Also, how will the weapon morph and switch to default rocket turrets?

maybe just use the trick westwood used.....................................it just happens lol

oh also about that unknown turret thingy,there are some infantry that you can't build and they are special,I think they are only accessble from the YR mapping tools

Super-Kh":3irgb6uc]
For example?

those CIA guys with pistols,the hollywood actors from YR the second mission of allies,oh and I think there is a unit called chrono Ivan :P

Yeah, you're correct but the Chrono ivan was accessible in skirmishes though. You had to change some variables in the Rules.ini file if you wanted to purchase them, and possibly import them into a map if you wished to play it with the changes online. I remember making a lot of maps for Red alert 2... Including the modding, considering how incredibly easy it was... ^^

back to topic dudes :P

Make sure the model is properly prepared for him. Name your bones properly and without spaces. like this.

b_root

b_gun

b_turret

b_muzzleflashsocket

b_wheel

after the modelling i will prepare all the vehicles like shown in the havock videos.

Also, how will the weapon morph and switch to default rocket turrets?

i dont have any idea of unrealscripting. but i think there could be a possibility to "switch" a vehicle after an trigger is used.

f.e. G.i goes into ivf>G.i is driver trigger pulls>command: change modell of the ivf to Gunner one> vehicle changes

my progress so far

otmncm7n.jpg

eenav95j.jpg

4nqwj8oo.jpg

"Nothin' here but us trees!"

I'm looking forward to those trees!

And of course: "Mean, green and unseen."

But anyway, mirage tank is looking good so far! :) It will be interesting to see how the "tree planting" will work.

In that regard, the tree mechanic is neat and all, but functionality wise it might be best to incorporate stealth-effect to it instead of tree-model. That way, it isn't map dependent or very awkward...

Obviously stealth effect linked to movement, it unstealths when moving and stealths when standing still.

• 3 weeks later...

So heres the Finished Prism Tank :)

scf3fn5q.jpg

And for better Oversee here the other 3 Main Vahicles for the Allied Army.

y8iuzbdp.jpg

flv3aqo6.jpg

bl9lpb25.jpg

At this moment i wanted to make the Soviet vehicles. but cuz the big expactation of this mod. i try to bring these 4 vehicles into the game.

So the first step is texturing them.. afther that bring then into renx :D

as the start they should be scriptable or i crates for costum/test servers^^

wish me luck dudes

note: the first site has some reworked ^^

@ska-ra

I think i remember that u said that texturing will be a problem. if u sculpt some details into the tanks, then the texturing will be much easier. The details can be dents and scratches for example. look up real life tanks online and u can see how the metal should look like or when playing renegade x, just stare at each tank for 10 min :D and see how the details were sculpted and how the textures are. im sure u can also extract the textures of the tanks in renegade x to examine them.

Edit: oh and dont forget, in renegade x, the texture changes when the vehicle gets more damaged. hehe more texturing work for u :D

@ska-ra

I think i remember that u said that texturing will be a problem. if u sculpt some details into the tanks, then the texturing will be much easier. The details can be dents and scratches for example. look up real life tanks online and u can see how the metal should look like or when playing renegade x, just stare at each tank for 10 min :D and see how the details were sculpted and how the textures are. im sure u can also extract the textures of the tanks in renegade x to examine them.

Edit: oh and dont forget, in renegade x, the texture changes when the vehicle gets more damaged. hehe more texturing work for u :D

the texturing isnt the real problem.. more the unwrapping ^^