C&C Tiberian Sun atmoshpere / Universe feels off.

RelentlessChaos

In terms of tech and well.. overall Sci-Fi.

Sup, I'm currently playing all the C&C games (The Ultimate Collection) again thanks to Renegade X getting me all hyped up for some Nod and Kane. Although, I never actually played Tiberian Sun before even though I have played all other C&C RTS games, but I have a problem with it.

Overall it feels extremely off in terms of tech. Here's my little rant.

The original C&C was cool and pretty modern with a little hint of futuristic Sci-Fi tech such as obelisk defense towers and stealth tanks etc. Then you go off to Tiberian Sun just about 30 years or so until the future and everything is extremely different which is fine hence the future.

This is the part that gets me even though I'm aware C&C3 has avatars and zone troopers etc.

But how the hell do we regress from mech warriors (Wolverine and Titans) and hover tanks (Tiberian Sun) back down to normal tanks with tread wheels aka predator tanks and mammoth tanks? (C&C3) >_> Or from cyborgs back down to regular militia men? Or from subterranean vehicles to non-subterranean vehicles.

Tiberian Sun also seems (what's the word) cyber punk? With these baggy cargo clothes on the actors and ships, but then you go watch C&C3 scenes and it seems normal again in terms of people like news reporters and blue zone cities.

I don't get it...

• Totem Arts Staff

Blame C&C 3 not TS.

It's like the new Star Wars vs the old, there should be a regression in tech but because the prequels were made with CG and had more of a commercial looking design I guess for lack of a better term where everything was more shiny and well... designed.

TS still has visuals of '80/90 SF-action films, maybe because they got to re-use some sets I don't know. But most of the sets were physical in nature, a big contrast with all of the C&C 3 sets which are mostly bluescreen.

TS was a very interesting extrapolation of what would happen if Tiberium ruined the world and technology lept forward.

Honestly, C&C 3 with the look it has should've been set between TD and TS instead of after imo.

In any case C&C 3 was made afterwards and it was EA or that production team's choice not to adhere to the TS aesthetic and / or continue with the series in the same way. It's more of a harkening back to TD style but with modern graphics and some slicker design.

I think it was more Westwood's mistake not setting Tiberian Sun too far in the future. Tiberian Dawn was set in 1995, while Tiberian Sun was set in 2030. This didn't really leave much time to tell too big of a story in-between without contradicting Tiberian Sun's canon. Tbh, I think if Tiberian Sun had been set closer to 2100, it would have allowed for a lot more storytelling in the near-future type setting of Tiberian Dawn or Renegade.

With that said, I love the original C&C in addition to C&C3 / KW in terms of story. I feel those did Kane (the character) right. In addition to the units and overall atmosphere. I don't know what it is, Tib sun has great gameplay, but something about it I just don't like.

C&C4 I pretend doesn't exist.

Edited by Guest

Tibsun has my favorite atmosphere. Earth felt like an alien planet. Cool campaign (I will never forget the Core Defender in the final Firestorm mission) and unique weapons and vehicles. While cnc 3 was great, it never felt like a real sequel, more like a reboot or something.

But I can understand not everybody likes the tibsun style.

• 2 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

They actually give a pretty damn good reason for not having mechs in CnC3. They were just huge wastes of money with very very obvious weak points (the legs). Commandos could 1hit kill any mech unit in CnC3 with c4 just to prove the point.

I think it was more Westwood's mistake not setting Tiberian Sun too far in the future. Tiberian Dawn was set in 1995, while Tiberian Sun was set in 2030. This didn't really leave much time to tell too big of a story in-between without contradicting Tiberian Sun's canon. Tbh, I think if Tiberian Sun had been set closer to 2100, it would have allowed for a lot more storytelling in the near-future type setting of Tiberian Dawn or Renegade.

Since Renegade took place after Dawn, and RenX Black Dawn took place after Renegade from what the little single level suggested, It makes sense that TD tech is plausibly in the "prototype R&D" phase in RenX's point in time.

Then again, the crates suggest possibly, that they are a result of a literal time travel event of large scale, maybe C&C 3+ era time-travel or natural time warp phenomenon, but they weren't able to send advanced computers or people or the "wormhole only got vehicles", so instead of sending detailed intel or soldiers, futuristic machineries of war was what ended up going.

Still, either way seems plausible to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Since Renegade took place after Dawn, and RenX Black Dawn took place after Renegade from what the little single level suggested, It makes sense that TD tech is plausibly in the "prototype R&D" phase in RenX's point in time.

Then again, the crates suggest possibly, that they are a result of a literal time travel event of large scale, maybe C&C 3+ era time-travel or natural time warp phenomenon, but they weren't able to send advanced computers or people or the "wormhole only got vehicles", so instead of sending detailed intel or soldiers, futuristic machineries of war was what ended up going.

Still, either way seems plausible to me.

Actually, Renegade took place during Dawn just as the war was ending.

I think the tech being prototypes is an interesting idea, though what's weird is that from what I understand, prototype Wolverines were different around the TD era. In an old teaser for TS, you see a power suit very similar to the Wolverine, though it's armed with a laser.

Time warp shenanigans is still fun though.

They actually give a pretty damn good reason for not having mechs in CnC3. They were just huge wastes of money with very very obvious weak points (the legs). Commandos could 1hit kill any mech unit in CnC3 with c4 just to prove the point.

Oh yeah, what about Nods subterranean units and the fucking FIRESTORM GODDAMN WALL!? I was told they try to make some excuse that there's too many rocks underground for the sub units? What a shitload of fuck.

Ok, why in the hell would you stop using a impenetrable fucking wall that stops your enemies super-weapon/aircraft/artillery? Whatever reason they came up with is stupid I'm 100% sure of it.

Why are mutants almost non-existent in this tiberium infested world? You would think they would be a force to be reckoned with by then!

Where are the red weeds that eat everything?

WHERE ARE THE ION STORMS?

How come the Ion Cannon and Nuke became pretty much the same damn thing too!? Ion cannon is a precision weapon not a goddamn WMD.

I always enjoyed the units in TD but liked the atmoshplere of TS. The near-future units in TD (Mammoth tanks, stealth tanks) and the apocalyptic wasteland that the lighting and music created in TS. I feel you just cant mix the 2

Somewhat debatable in how Mammoth tanks are obtainable in at least one campaign mission in TS. Also, Stealth Tanks are in Nod's arsenal in TS.