Map Lacking a Ref?

RoundShades

Here is a suggestion for a map, based on current RenX income:

Would a map be really cool, if it lacked a ref for either team altogether, and instead had 4 silos? One at each base entrance, terminal facing outward to the center of the map (enemy advantage), and 2 between the entrance and map center and also facing the enemy's direction?

That way, distance encourages equal capture and holding, for equal credit gain, but enemy advances can capture for more income.

Or what if there was 5, and 1 of the silos was in an infantry tunnel, or just 4 but one was in the infantry tunnel?

What if there was 6, and along with the other ones, one was on an inaccessible cove or something that only air can reach, so you required helis and transport helicopers to contest it, but its view was limited as a cove so you couldn't prevent helis from coming in until they were overhead?

Just ideas.

4 in total:

1 infantry only path.

2 at each base entrance, Lakeside style.

1 flying only reachable, cove like you suggested.

The end result would be: 1 team investing in ground vehicles, capturing both at base entrances while the other team invests in troops and aerial vehicles, capturing the other 2.

The distinct advantage would be though, the cove silo would require $$ to recapture if lost or attacked, while the other 3 could be reached on foot covertly by engineers. There is no use in camping at the cove to defend it, as you woiuld be entirely useless. An incoming apache/orca would kill you and then capture

Would a map be really cool, if it lacked a ref for either team altogether, and instead had 4 silos?...

Sounds like a great idea!

In fact I'm currently trying to make an infantry only map with 3 silos. 2 Silos at each base and 1 hidden in a cave, The terminal of the silos at the bases are faced the other direction. So you have to go through a tunnel to capture them which makes it harder to defend because the enemy can also capture it fairly easy.

Gonna post it on the forum when the map is nearly done. ;)

Really like the idea of having only silos to rely for credit income, i think it will help greatly to stimulate gameplay, because it forces people to work for the cash insted of just standing idling in base waiting for REF

Really hope to see more maps like this in the future

nOOb question : What's exactly do the silo in the regular game ?

Capturing a single silo grants the team access to tiberium based secondary weaponry.

Next to that, a silo increases the teams credit income by 1 per tick.

As an interresting addition to this idea of having resources only through silos:

While multiple silos are availible, not only the credit per tick should increase, but perhaps the weaponry decreased in price? Or capturing 1 silo grants 1 weapon, 2 gives access to the 2nd?

nOOb question : What's exactly do the silo in the regular game ?

Capturing a single silo grants the team access to tiberium based secondary weaponry.

Next to that, a silo increases the teams credit income by 1 per tick.

As an interresting addition to this idea of having resources only through silos:

While multiple silos are availible, not only the credit per tick should increase, but perhaps the weaponry decreased in price? Or capturing 1 silo grants 1 weapon, 2 gives access to the 2nd?

I don't think one is better than the other, they're just different, sometimes you need the Flechete and sometimes the Auto Rifle (that's what the other one is called right?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was actually working on a very similar map, which I hope to finish this summer for an official release in a future update.

It is called "Valley". It is an infantry only, no refinery, 4-silo map. The map is very far along, although the myself and the team are still messing around with the specifics of the design.

Its nice to know there is support for this kind of map! :)

• Totem Arts Staff
I was actually working on a very similar map, which I hope to finish this summer for an official release in a future update.

It is called "Valley". It is an infantry only, no refinery, 4-silo map. The map is very far along, although the myself and the team are still messing around with the specifics of the design.

Its nice to know there is support for this kind of map! :)

Valley? There seems to be a package called such in the SDK

1 Thing I just realized though, SBH's will be OP in this type of map.

Since a tactic could be massing infantry to counter the guard towers (if they are implemented that is) the SBHs will still be owning the infiltration part.

For me, I like to run wildly with an SBH+carbine/Flechette to generally kill off the snipers in field, or to supprise attack unsuspecting infantry rushing towards me.

Even if you have guard towers implemented, the first waves of assault would target them, to allow SBHs to be present in follow-up rushes.

You might want to think about the OP-ness of SBHs on infantry-only maps.

For me, I like the ref vs ref stalemates :P just the free and T1 characters to be used. (and ofcourse crate spies/1k's)

1 Thing I just realized though, SBH's will be OP in this type of map.

Since a tactic could be massing infantry to counter the guard towers (if they are implemented that is) the SBHs will still be owning the infiltration part.

For me, I like to run wildly with an SBH+carbine/Flechette to generally kill off the snipers in field, or to supprise attack unsuspecting infantry rushing towards me.

Even if you have guard towers implemented, the first waves of assault would target them, to allow SBHs to be present in follow-up rushes.

You might want to think about the OP-ness of SBHs on infantry-only maps.

For me, I like the ref vs ref stalemates :P just the free and T1 characters to be used. (and ofcourse crate spies/1k's)

Nod will be stronger in these maps likely, but as long as it isn't infantry only, actually it might not be that big a deal. It can have no ref, just silos, AND have vehicles. Assuming silos are brought down to 1 credit ticks, you could easily have 5 silos and it not generate any more money than 1 ref and 1 silo, with the added bonus of being possibly able to simulataneously get more and deprive your opponent of some, with the perk that it is temporary and the enemy can man up to take his credits back at any time.