C&C-Reservoir

Henk

I have been posting my progress on the TMX forum the last 3/4 days, time to share it on this forum as well.

The basic idea is:

There's a big reservoir dam, with bases on each side of the dam. The dam will be a complex structure with 3 floors, and of course the top of the dam, which also hase the silo on it, sitting on a platform on the lake.

My goal is to have a destructible component in the dam, which when destroyed, will rise the water level and the swimming volume in the river. It won't flood the entire field, because that would disable the tank play and I don't want that of course. But infrantry can cross the river on foot at first and use it as a trench, but when the waterlevel has risen they'll have to swim or use one of the bridges.

Distances to the other base will be short, and I'm expecting a lot of hectic, close quarter combat happening inside and on top of the dam. There's spots for snipers on the dam (like the balcony), but also ways to counter them.

I've got the airstrip elevator in, and it works. I'm thinking about putting 2 elevators in the dam as well, going up only (from the bottom floor straight to the roof), like in Deck. Because there's a faster way down than taking the elevator :P

Progress so far:

Basic layout & placement of buildings:

xOJGEMZl.png

n8tv0Pml.png

E91TBT3.png

Painting the basic terrain texture, at the moment the Landscape Material is a 1 on 1 copy from Goldrush, but I'm gonna edit the material once I get a better understanding of the material editor.

G8pRHD0.png

k1cdR6a.png

Both refineries are in a kind of pit, where the tiberium is. I think it looks cool, and also, that way you can't base to base the tower. The Refineries are really close to the tiberium fields, that way you'll have a lot of credits rolling in, like on Islands.

My latest progress, putting the rocks in:

Progress_9.png

Progress_10.png

The material I made last night for the rocks(or better: took from Canyon and edited):

Progress_11.png

At the moment: Sprinting from the closest GDI building to the closest Nod building (both PP's), takes 35 seconds.

You can only hit the buildings once you're halfway on the (top floor of the) dam.

On the field, you can only hit buildings once you're past the river, so also halfway across.

I will probably add in the small base defenses, but also ways to sneak into the base.

The dam will be different from how it is now. Instead of curved it will be mostly straight, it will have 2 corners at the base exits. Making it straight will make it easier for me to model the interior and align everything (I'm not very experienced in modelling). And I realised that the water volume probably can't be curved around the dam, and only have straight edges.

Almost forgot to mention: I exported the Power Plant model and took out the big pipe, made the bottom of it go around it, to make an Advanced Power Plant. This is just a test version, so the textures aren't aligned correctly. Don't know if it will be possible to damage the PP by hitting the extra pipe/chimney/what'sitcalled, if not, I'll maybe keep it in for the looks, not sure yet, tell me what you think.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not bad, I like the idea of a dam. Reminds me of the old Renegade Mission :D.

What is about the Base2Base sniping?

Does it work or is the range to far away?

Are you planing on placing cover for infantry to counter the B2B sniping?

Not bad, I like the idea of a dam. Reminds me of the old Renegade Mission :D.

What is about the Base2Base sniping?

Does it work or is the range to far away?

Are you planing on placing cover for infantry to counter the B2B sniping?

I'm gonna place obstacles on the dam, and won't be placing any ledges for snipers to get to higher ground at the dam. If the obstacles are high enough they will provide cover against base to base sniping.

Maybe from the silo (also possible in complex), but I'm not sure yet if I want that.

• Totem Arts Staff

If and when you need it, I can build a curved dam or edit the one you have if you want me to. Curved volumes are certainly possible as well. Just so much cooler than a perfectly flat dam.

I'm a bit less optimistic about the rising water levels and destructibility etc. UDK is pretty crap when it comes to dynamic stuff.

I'm a bit less optimistic about the rising water levels and destructibility etc. UDK is pretty crap when it comes to dynamic stuff.

I'm new to UDK and just tried some "destruction".. I used the "Fracture Tool" and it was pretty meeh..

It worked.. I could destroy the object.. but It didn't work with the FreeSoldier PrimaryWeapon.. the Silenced Pistol worked very well.. but then again the destroyed parts just disappeared and I just had to shot 1bullet to destroy a part.

If and when you need it, I can build a curved dam or edit the one you have if you want me to. Curved volumes are certainly possible as well. Just so much cooler than a perfectly flat dam.

Didn't know you had modelling skills! ;)

Keep up the good work Henk!!

I'm new to UDK and just tried some "destruction".. I used the "Fracture Tool" and it was pretty meeh..

It worked.. I could destroy the object.. but It didn't work with the FreeSoldier PrimaryWeapon.. the Silenced Pistol worked very well.. but then again the destroyed parts just disappeared and I just had to shot 1bullet to destroy a part.

I don't necessarily need a destroyable mesh that gets fractured upon destruction. Just a "normal" mesh, a "halfway dead" mesh, and a "destroyed" mesh. Make it a neutral faction (like empty vehicles have), so it can be repaired and destroyed by both factions.

If the rising of the water and swimming volumes won't work, too bad, I think it will still be a fun map nonetheless

Oh and the Renegade mission with the dam is one of the things that brought me to this idea.

• Totem Arts Staff

Didn't know you had modelling skills! ;)

Keep up the good work Henk!!

Yeah I just barely use them, getting back into some modeling lately.

I don't necessarily need a destroyable mesh that gets fractured upon destruction. Just a "normal" mesh, a "halfway dead" mesh, and a "destroyed" mesh. Make it a neutral faction (like empty vehicles have), so it can be repaired and destroyed by both factions.

Yeah we thought about adding destructible bridges a bit too late into development, if we can get this to work then maybe that's a good precedent to add those in the game still. It's a C&C staple after all.

My latest progress:

There's been some heavy fighting at this back entrance:

QPVCQXG.jpg

Added in A LOT of rocks, and Tiberium fields:

TlJfRNa.jpg

Added the small base defenses, and rocks for cover when infiltrating:

6AlAMy1.jpg

Rocks in the still empty river, and small ledges to the catwalks at the first floor of the dam:

3lBiOjr.jpg

Nod's base entrance:

vXEN6XY.jpg

Nod's Tiberium field:

RE6Thg6.jpg

I've also added 2 destroyed turrets at Nod's back entrance. They won't be actual entrances, they're just there for the looks :)

Harvesters work correctly, and bots are getting there. If anyone can tell me how I can set a vehicle limit, that would be awesome.

I'm still working at the balancing, because it's quite easy to get to the GDI refinery at the moment.

Another question I have is: How do I get the destroyed state of the small GDI guard towers? The thing I have now is just an empty Guard Tower (a slightly taller one), with the damage material on it. The actual destroyed version has missing planks and deformed steel. The guard tower is a skeletal mesh..

The map is looking great so far!

As for the vehicle limit, it is set outside the editor. You have to go to the \UDKGame\Config\UDKRenegadeX.ini and add a new line within the [RenX_Game.Rx_Game] section as "MapSpecificMineAndVehLimit=(MapName="MAP_NAME_HERE",MineLimit=30,VehicleLimit=6)" (without the quotes).

Another question I have is: How do I get the destroyed state of the small GDI guard towers? The thing I have now is just an empty Guard Tower (a slightly taller one), with the damage material on it. The actual destroyed version has missing planks and deformed steel. The guard tower is a skeletal mesh..

You could take the StaticMesh of the GuardTower, take the SM_GT_GunArm and the SM_Dmg_Gun. There are 4 damaged planks as well (SM_Dmg_Plank 1-4). Just fully load RenX > Vehicles > RX_DEF_GuardTower

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think the mesh has LOD's, can't find them.. Only the textures LOD changes when i'm further away from it.

I've also made a copy of the Morph Target and set the iron bars to be deformed (there's 4 sliders, 1 for each bone it's deformation), but when I apply that morph to the mesh it doesn't change anything.

Edit: I don't think a different LOD of the mesh is what I'm looking for. I want the deformed/destroyed mesh, like this: http://i.imgur.com/6zl4zn6.jpg (Destroyed it ingame, it needs to be in this state from the beginning of the game)

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

I just had this crazy idea and I would like your opinions on it.

I'm thinking of putting in extra tunnels which start between the PP and Refineries and go underwater, like in islands. From the underwater tunnels you can get to the dam interior.

I feel this is necessary because at this point the only entrances and exits are the Dam and the main entrance (which has kind of an infiltration path alongside it but I could remove some cover there to make it harder to use).

The craziest part is, where the silo is now, I want to put in something like this:

15810200733_61bcc0f4d0_b.jpg

This may be a bit hard to visualise but I'll try to explain as clearly as possible:

You can jump in from the dam and it will lead to the underwater tunnels, there would be a circular waterfall (The water then flows further through a metal grill, so the tunnel won't be flooded). There won't be falling damage, i'll place the underwater tunnels high enough for that..

The silo will be placed in the "valley", I think over the river on a bridge-like surface.

• 8 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
Any news about this Henk?

I asked it a few months ago and he said he don't have the time to do it. He also said he was making a dam of multiple assets. But he's skill to do this was not that good (that's what he said)

• Totem Arts Staff

Maby he test some new Ways to build a Base. Like me on Eyes, with the Nod Pipes which goes along the Airstrip Front into the Rocks on the Inf Paths and down to there Underground Base. Such things can give the Gameplay a much deeper feeling into Command & Conquer.

Like : C&C IN REAL LIFE!

• 2 months later...

Progress!

I made the dam out of modular assets, it was a pain to get all the texturing and uv mapping good, had to do a lot of stuff over, multiple times, but the exterior is now finally nearing completion (98%), pics soon.

Also working on the interior, made the right halves of the first 2 floors yesterday, and today I've been working on a nice vertex painted material. To have some water puddles on the dam.

Here's an image from my test level where i'm putting it all together:

J0OC39q.jpg

Might take the amount of reflection down a little, there's also difference/variation in elevation but you can't really see that in this picture.

I've made more progress today.

I've only made the right half of the interior, when that's finished i'll copy/mirror that side to the left side.

Please keep in mind that this is just test lighting, I will add lights to the walls and maybe ceilings but that will be the last step because having a lot of lights means building lights takes a lot of time.

The UV channels and the wall and floor materials also need some polishing. And the screenshots also look a bit more grey/brownish than the way it actually looks, that's something my PC likes to do for some reason.

Floor 1:

nYsoDFl.jpg

11fl0zd.jpg

Some cover and elevated parts for extra fun :P

If you look closely you can see some water puddles.

Floor 2:

0QGnvZt.jpg

As you can see here, the entrance on this floor is a bit closer to the center, and leads to a catwalk part, accesible from ground level, and makes it possible to walk around to the other side of the dam.

gOZJsdV.jpg

Here's what i'm gonna do for the dam's main feature:

There's a capturable MCT here, capture it and 2 gun emplacements spawn for your team (enemy ones get destroyed when it's captured to neutral), the color of the walls also change to the correct team color, also visible on the outside.

So it's a capturable control point in the center of the dam. I've considered giving the controlling team guns on top of the dam, but that would be too OP, it would be too difficult to leave your base at the infantry path. If anyone has any ideas on other stuff to give to the controlling team, i'm open for suggestions!

(You can also slightly shoot outside, but not over the entire field from there (yet?))

Keep in mind that I don't have any Kismet done for this yet, just worked out the idea, and hope it's possible to make this.

I'm doing this instead of the destroyable component, because this is a lot more dynamic and back and forth, plus I think it's not really and advantage or a disadvantage for either teams if the river level would rise.. Maybe i'll make the water level rise at a certain point in-game just like Ruud's meteorite, but I don't know yet.

Floor 3 is still too empty to show off :P

Thx! That is sort of the style im going for, I want it too look a bit used, eroded and rusty, and the modern stuff is now placed in there because of the tiberium war.

Some exterior pictures:

6HAo0Oa.jpg

T8xbh1X.jpg

LSiQMyj.jpg

Still working on the material of the walls, and i'm gonna vertex-paint some more variation on it.

The concrete balcony is now made up of metal catwalk meshes, because it looks more varied this way, and it's easier for me :P .

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!

Decided to make it more used, old, eroded and overgrown:

g0V6NMS.jpg

ZoGAs3b.jpg

I haven't added all the lights, lensflaers and particle effects to the dam, the light you see here is just placeholder:

This is the top floor:

mp5xDUw.jpg

The middle floor:

W88X7tB.jpg

Made it look like people broke it open to get to the middle faster, added some broken pipes and rubble.

The middle floor is the part with the gun emplacement and MCT, it also has newer lamps in it than other floors and sandbag barricades.

Lower floor, put some particle effects here:

D3n9QA1.jpg

Both halves of the dam are now completely decorated, might put some more cover on the 1st and 3rd floor.

yep.

Still haven't found a good texture for that yet, and my Substance Designer is broken somehow.

Oh and if anyone can get a bump map to work even mildly good, I'd love some help from them. Have attempted to make a bump map for several meshes multiple times now, but I can't get it to look the way it should. Have followed 3 or 4 tutorials so far.

New update:

Moved the dam into the level.

The reflection on the water wrecked my framerate, needs optimizing, will probably only have water on the top to get better framerates. Or just make it only reflect the skybox.

The biggest change is that I've made some big changes to the layout, there's an extra vehicle lane now, for more tactical options.

Top-down:

jyZQUeJ.jpg

It may look a bit tight, but just check the flame tank and mammoth tank for reference, there's enough room there. The river will go under the silo and the landbridge. The smaller, wooden bridge just fits a mammoth, that one is kept small intentionally.

Also made the map less foggy and less orange, and i'm also making some changes to the landscape material.

Next steps are:

- Smoothen the landscape

- Trees

- More rocks..

- Foliage (Grass, small bushes, pebbles)

- Blocking stuff off