Field Sniper ledges

cncforever

The first change I noticed in Field was the option of being able to climb to the higher ledges and immediately I made my way up their as a GDI sniper. It wasn't long before I was joined by 2 other Deadeyes and a Havoc.

After a while people on the opposing team said they thought the ''sniper ledges'' were the worst addition to Field, others complained that they could no longer live long enough to repair vehicles (assuming their vehicles were not shot to pieces) and a few said they thought it was over powered and that it should not have been implemented in the first place.

Being the sniper is one of my favourite classes but I can see why people would hate the ledges but what do all of you think?

Do you think the new ledges are the worst idea and a game breaking one at that?

Tanks can do some damage to snipers on that ledge, I'm sure sbh can creep up and place C4's or maybe get a few Airstrikes in. Do you think the ledges are the worse idea yet? I haven't played enough games to know yet.

I guess I had an infantry route in mind, not a pure sniper safe spot that people can just camp on.

Its a very lame addition precisely because its safe. While the base defense is up nobody is going to just get up there alive, so snipers can just use that, view the entire battlefield and be vulnerable only to snipers.

I always hated Field but this just didn't help.

Compared to the classic field it' bring something much different ,surely middle lower ground is ano safe zone for repairing vehicules ,it's adding a necessity to get snipers on each side to counter this,I think this map has way to much sniper nests at first look .May be if the back route in the mountain and all along the field was kind of independant to the field aera ,it would bring something more interesting.

infantry would battle in mountains and vehicule woulld be able to take field and work much freely.

I would only open one space for infantry to field at the back of the field ,no snipers would be able to use higher ground for aiming field except the central classic place on tops of tunnels

I guess I had an infantry route in mind, not a pure sniper safe spot that people can just camp on.

Its a very lame addition precisely because its safe. While the base defense is up nobody is going to just get up there alive, so snipers can just use that, view the entire battlefield and be vulnerable only to snipers.

I always hated Field but this just didn't help.

How is it a safe spot? One tank/gunner shoots up there, GG snipers.

GG snipers? No. Supressed sniper? Yes. Pretty damn easy to not die to those. Splash damage isn't magical like in Renegade where it went through wall, apply proper positioning and some basic reactions and you can avoid most of it, and only far away tanks can even have any chance of suppressing you.

Being the sniper is one of my favourite classes but I can see why people would hate the ledges but what do all of you think?

Overall the map redesigns were really great, but those things clearly are... something that is very hate inducing. Something that makes you want to camp is never a good thing, since campers are nearly worthless to the team.

But people probably know by now that I hate snipers, period.

Overall the map redesigns were really great, but those things clearly are... something that is very hate inducing. Something that makes you want to camp is never a good thing, since campers are nearly worthless to the team.

But people probably know by now that I hate snipers, period.

After playing a few more Field games, Ive found that more players, including myself used the ledges as defense against incoming Mammys or vehicles. I ran up the ledge as an engineer armed with a heavy pistol, emp grenade and C4. I'd toss an emp, jump of the ledge, land on the roof of a tank, plant C4 and use my heavy pistol.

I didn't use the ledges for sniping much (the novelty wore off) and I am a huge fan of that class. Another great tactic is to be sbh and kill repairing engineers from the ledge using a carbine.

I'd say the new and improved marksman free-class, is an excellent anti-sniper!

I know what you guys are saying, snipers looking into the Nod base when the powerplant was destroyed, suppressed ALL infantry! Once, a deadeye and 2 havocs were up there and Nod had trouble getting out.

I took a marksman and shot at the deadeye. 4 headshots in a row didnt kill him, but brought him down to 5%, he backed off.

Now, if everyone is so fussed about camping snipers, why dont you just play smart and camp your sniper to scope out their locations? As soon as they pop out their heads, it's off with them!

The difference? You, being 1 sniper countering their 3 snipers! Who would benefit more from that? your team or their team?

You have to look at things on a team-basis, not solo/personal basis!

It's a combined team-effort to reach a common goal! If that means, repair vehicles, then buy a hot/tech and do so if it makes your team win! If it means, buy a useless free-class marksman to suppress the other team effectively, then do it!

Off with the K/D ratio! Off with the recomendation system! Off with any stats to compare to others individually! It's a team based game and everything that makes it possible to compare to other individuals makes it that much more appealing to play a solo commando/Rambo

I know what you guys are saying, snipers looking into the Nod base when the powerplant was destroyed, suppressed ALL infantry! Once, a deadeye and 2 havocs were up there and Nod had trouble getting out.

I took a marksman and shot at the deadeye. 4 headshots in a row didnt kill him, but brought him down to 5%, he backed off.

Now, if everyone is so fussed about camping snipers, why dont you just play smart and camp your sniper to scope out their locations? As soon as they pop out their heads, it's off with them!

The difference? You, being 1 sniper countering their 3 snipers! Who would benefit more from that? your team or their team?

It's a combined team-effort to reach a common goal! If that means, repair vehicles, then buy a hot/tech and do so if it makes your team win! If it means, buy a useless free-class marksman to suppress the other team effectively, then do it!

Off with the K/D ratio! Off with the recomendation system! Off with any stats to compare to others individually! It's a team based game and everything that makes it possible to compare to other individuals makes it that much more appealing to play a solo commando/Rambo

I don't know if they improved Marksmen but I find them more useful in this update. Ive found that after playing as a sniper, you can be more effective against them as other classes. As a Marksman, you can time your movement and shots to be much harder to hit.

I was a lone Marksman in Walls and 3 snipers were targeting me and they missed many times before they got me. Ive seen snipers miss 5 times after I timed my dodges. You have to resist the urge to randomly bounce around and use pauses that leave you open to attack, timing and intuition, the impatient sniper will waste shots and the good ones will still miss a lot more. Marksmen are great!

Personally, I quite like the addition of those ledges. I'm getting pretty good with a basic marksman and as GDI I love to take to the cliff at the beginning to...sometimes...snipe off nearly all infantry that go for the silo or up the waterfall or down to the bridges.

I pull back after that, just behind the rock, so other snipers cannot get to me from their own cliff.

I can also see the cave entrance behind the barracks and I can keep an eye on it as well.

Also, snipers can no longer feel safe behind those sandbags on the bunkers and can be more easily counter-sniped. As it should be. Before, any sniper that was crouching behind them was nearly impossible to hit, and could only be targeted from the paths leading up to the waterfall, which were unsafe due to bombardment and being more exposed. Of course, vehicles could blast the bunker and flush these sandbagging snipers out, but not before they'd take out several people. This way, the field is more active and possession of it can change faster and more easily if someone snipes safely enough from the cliff and don't expose themselves too much.

It's not like these cliffs and the people on it cannot be easily sent packing by a few blasts. Same as with any other spot. It doesn't unbalance things. It doesn't give an advantage that cannot be dealt with.

The bases are more defensible this way. People will, of course, be afraid this will lead to a stalemate and marathons, which is likely. But, we can always have a vote and change the map or tough it out.

I'm in full support of a veterancy system, exactly because recommendations do nothing. I always counter snipers, engineers, infiltrators, go on humvee patrols, taxi people back an forth, who need a refill. Practically rape their infantry and light vehicles and damage their tanks enough to send them back to be repaired, all helping the team and keeping the enemy at bay, many times all by myself, either as a single marksman or with a little humvee. If I'm not covering engies who are disarming beacons, I'll switch to one and start disarming it, before others even find it. No one notices. No one notices their heads not being taken off or no vehicles harassing them from the side or that the siege had suddenly stopped because the enemy has no engineers left to repair them and they're being pushed.

And I still have only 1 measly recommendation and am in the middle of the list, most of the time, with my points, despite all my efforts.

I don't know if they improved Marksmen but I find them more useful in this update. Ive found that after playing as a sniper, you can be more effective against them as other classes. As a Marksman, you can time your movement and shots to be much harder to hit.

I was a lone Marksman in Walls and 3 snipers were targeting me and they missed many times before they got me. Ive seen snipers miss 5 times after I timed my dodges. You have to resist the urge to randomly bounce around and use pauses that leave you open to attack, timing and intuition, the impatient sniper will waste shots and the good ones will still miss a lot more. Marksmen are great!

I love Complex, when we go for the silo and sometimes I can pretty much keep half of the enemies pinned down, and send them running right back into their buildings, when they just came out, or kill them outright, with a marksman.

Also, the added ammo good. I don't have to run for refills as often.

Love it when people whine about camping snipers.

Even if you cannot kill, you can just keep the enemies pinned or send them packing for a refill by inflicting enough damage (also to light vehicles and aircraft), it's helping your team, even when most of the time on one even notices.

And if you can get away with your life?

That's class.