Hover MRLS and Tesla Tank

Havoc89

• Former Developers

Hey everyone!

We were able to get permission from the guys over at Reborn and A Path Beyond to include a couple things to help us showcase just how easy it is to mod the game. So we brought over the Hover MRLS from Reborn and the Tesla Tank over from A Path Beyond. Huge thanks to both teams for letting us implement them in Open Beta 4 and the SDK.

How to drive the Hover MRLS and Tesla Tank:

1. Start an offline skirmish game

2. Press F5 to bring up the console command

3. Type the following commands to spawn the vehicle

summon renx_game.tsr_vehicle_hovermrls

summon renx_game.apb_vehicle_teslatank

We hope this will get your creative juices flowing and help to inspire you all to experiment for yourselves!

Same for me.

TeslaTank is working fine, but the HoverMRLS is just completely invisible, without any collision or whatever.

Bots can enter the vehicle.. but they cant drive or do anything, except leaving the vehicle again.

Thanks for sharing tho :)

PS: Any chance to get them as crate drop? Maybe 1% or something :D

• Former Developers

Ah, sorry about that, the 4.01 patch didn't take the HoverMRLS art assets into account, so it just spawns a blank vehicle. We'll fix it for the next patch, but you can download the SDK version and try it out in there.

Just out of interest are these the original models simply exported as .fbx or whatever into the game without any edits or texture replacements? And was there still a process of changing bones or adding the projectile spawn points? Just wondering exactly how easy it was to get that model into the game :)

Also anyone interested in modelling a recon bike? ;)

• Former Developers
Just out of interest are these the original models simply exported as .fbx or whatever into the game without any edits or texture replacements? And was there still a process of changing bones or adding the projectile spawn points? Just wondering exactly how easy it was to get that model into the game :)

Also anyone interested in modelling a recon bike? ;)

So we've had a fair bit of practice with rigging vehicles to the point where it took us only 2 hours to get the HoverMRLS to the state it is at in the SDK. However it can seem intimidating to have to setup a large number of components such as rigging in max, importing and setting up skeletal meshes, animation trees, and physical assets. However it is not as complicated as it seems once you've understood the process.

Rigging vehicles is fairly simple and easy to do. We've provided 3 of our vehicles as examples in the SDK within the "ExampleAssets" folder. You will find our full rigs for the Humvee, Medium Tank, and Apache. In our vehicle rigs we have everything from the core vehicle rig, to blend shapes used for vehicle deformers, to damaged parts that break off of the vehicle, to sub rigs such as antennas that rock back and forward.

Hover MRLS, and Tesla Tank only had the core rig as we received the models from APB and Reborn a week prior to launch of Open Beta 4, and we had other things to worry about in that time.

We used the actorX plugin that comes with UDK, or you could export to fbx, either way it will work. So long as you have a couple of bones to define the root, any wheels/suspension, turret rotation and pitch bones. That's all you really need to have.

There are a few really good tutorials already on how to implement vehicles just by googling UDK vehicle tutorials. We have some of our own systems that work on top of the existing UDK vehicle framework. I'll see if I can make a tutorial in the near future to help you guys make sense of it all.

We would love to have recon bikes in the mix, but at the moment we're not making one of our own.

Hey everyone!

We were able to get permission from the guys over at Reborn and A Path Beyond to include a couple things to help us showcase just how easy it is to mod the game. So we brought over the Hover MRLS from Reborn and the Tesla Tank over from A Path Beyond. Huge thanks to both teams for letting us implement them in Open Beta 4 and the SDK.

Not trying to start anything here, but as far as I know, the Reborn team was not consulted about this.

Both Reborn and Apocalypse Rising both left Bluehell Productions at the end of January, so any permission you have obtained has not been granted by "the guys over at Reborn".

What you guys have done is really cool, but please understand that if you want to ask for permission to use the assets of other mods, please ask the correct people. This took a few of us by surprise and a few people including Wallywood, the leader of Reborn was a little disappointed that he wasn't kept in the loop about this.

Not trying to dig guys but that's how it is. Keep up the good work!

You'll still need to rig the vehicles, and setup the appropriate scripts to have them behave properly in-game. It's easy, but not that easy :P

Glad to see you're still around JeepRubi, I hadn't seen a reply for a while :) thanks for the answer

So we've had a fair bit of practice with rigging vehicles to the point where it took us only 2 hours to get the HoverMRLS to the state it is at in the SDK. However it can seem intimidating to have to setup a large number of components such as rigging in max, importing and setting up skeletal meshes, animation trees, and physical assets. However it is not as complicated as it seems once you've understood the process.

Rigging vehicles is fairly simple and easy to do. We've provided 3 of our vehicles as examples in the SDK within the "ExampleAssets" folder. You will find our full rigs for the Humvee, Medium Tank, and Apache. In our vehicle rigs we have everything from the core vehicle rig, to blend shapes used for vehicle deformers, to damaged parts that break off of the vehicle, to sub rigs such as antennas that rock back and forward.

Hover MRLS, and Tesla Tank only had the core rig as we received the models from APB and Reborn a week prior to launch of Open Beta 4, and we had other things to worry about in that time.

We used the actorX plugin that comes with UDK, or you could export to fbx, either way it will work. So long as you have a couple of bones to define the root, any wheels/suspension, turret rotation and pitch bones. That's all you really need to have.

There are a few really good tutorials already on how to implement vehicles just by googling UDK vehicle tutorials. We have some of our own systems that work on top of the existing UDK vehicle framework. I'll see if I can make a tutorial in the near future to help you guys make sense of it all.

We would love to have recon bikes in the mix, but at the moment we're not making one of our own.

Ok awesome :D I completely understand now, thanks for the answer. I'll take a look around once I've got the SDK installed :) As usually I don't know when I'll get a chance to get around to doing anything like this, probably not soon with all the work I have, but I would love to take a crack at doing something like this (If I had a model to start the rigging with that is, I've tried 3d modelling before and lets just say I didn't create anything of value :P )

• Former Developers
Hey everyone!

Not trying to start anything here, but as far as I know, the Reborn team was not consulted about this.

Both Reborn and Apocalypse Rising both left Bluehell Productions at the end of January, so any permission you have obtained has not been granted by "the guys over at Reborn".

What you guys have done is really cool, but please understand that if you want to ask for permission to use the assets of other mods, please ask the correct people. This took a few of us by surprise and a few people including Wallywood, the leader of Reborn was a little disappointed that he wasn't kept in the loop about this.

Not trying to dig guys but that's how it is. Keep up the good work!

Sorry about that, Fobby had contacted Renardin and Chronojam about permission. We were unaware that the entire teams were not consulted.

Sorry about that, Fobby had contacted Renardin and Chronojam about permission. We were unaware that the entire teams were not consulted.

No worries Havoc, it's totally fine. If you want to have a play with some AR assets feel free to ask. :)

Keep up the good work!

Tell you what, if there is a vehicle you would like from AR in RenX as an example asset, I can make a tutorial around it so anyone who wants to make their own vehicles can follow along.

I have a Battle Fortress with basic diffuse, spec and normals. That'd be quite an entertaining one to see in the game.

However, maybe it'd be a better idea to use something a little simpler that you guys know your way round for a tutorial. All of the Red Alert 2 stuff is pretty madcap.

Tell you what, if there is a vehicle you would like from AR in RenX as an example asset, I can make a tutorial around it so anyone who wants to make their own vehicles can follow along.

That sounds great for those who haven't done anything like this before or need to know the unique udk requirements, and hope the AR or Reborn teams benefit too. Thanks Havoc :)

Battlefortress is a bit more of a complicated vehicle, but not too complicated. It may be a bit more complex for the sake of a tutorial, but I'm not against it. Up to you guys really.

Alright, that sounds good to me. I'll make a mental note to package up the files and send it over. :)

Battlefortress is a bit more of a complicated vehicle, but not too complicated. It may be a bit more complex for the sake of a tutorial, but I'm not against it. Up to you guys really.

I have no clue how to mod or do what you guys do, but after reading this the following came to mind:

In colleges and/or universities, the maths teachers tend to show a "simple" problem and "the solution". Call this the "easy tutorial".

Math teachers then take a test and present a very complex problem, to solve it, you must combine a multitude of solutions, which you have learned individually, to solve the problem. Call this the "complex tutorial".

What I'm saying is, simple tutorials teach you the basics, but complex tutorials teach you how to integrate them all together. So, I don't know how much work it is, but I think it would be great to have a "simple tutorial" for the beginners and a "complex tutorial" for the advanced.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Havoc

Still working on your vehicle tutorial? Ive been asked to import a vehicle into renx.

Tutorial is always nice for a starting point, because I dont have much experience in UDK. I know 3d modeling, but to get it actually working ingame is another beast

• Totem Arts Staff
Hey Havoc

Still working on your vehicle tutorial? Ive been asked to import a vehicle into renx.

Tutorial is always nice for a starting point, because I dont have much experience in UDK. I know 3d modeling, but to get it actually working ingame is another beast

You can look at GeoDav's tutorial about UDK vehicles. I think that's still valid

• Former Developers

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't had the time to make that tutorial latley. But the good news is that I finally started recording it last night, so hopefully by the end of the week it will be up for all of you guys to enjoy.

• Former Developers
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't had the time to make that tutorial latley. But the good news is that I finally started recording it last night, so hopefully by the end of the week it will be up for all of you guys to enjoy.

nice to hear. but do u start with the beginnig or somewhere in the mid?

From the very beginning. Starting from rigging inside of 3ds max, all the way to code and fine tuning.

Hey guys,

nice to hear. but do u start with the beginnig or somewhere in the mid?

From the very beginning. Starting from rigging inside of 3ds max, all the way to code and fine tuning.

ahhh great thx soo much i start loving you right now xD:D

which vehicle you want to use for the tut?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
I tried the commands in the OP but they didn't seem to do anything. Have the names changed?

To spawn vehicles from the command line:

summon renx_game.rx_vehicle_apache

summon renx_game.ts_vehicle_hovermrls

summon renx_game.apb_vehicle_teslatank

A tesla tank is basicly one giant powergenerator on wheels shooting electricy. It's a vehicle from the Red Alert universe which has been ported to Renegade-X to prove vehicles from other makes / brands / CnC series / and so on can also be ingame.

I am not sure if this vehicle will really work well against units as it does in Red Alert itself.

• 4 months later...
A tesla tank is basicly one giant powergenerator on wheels shooting electricy. It's a vehicle from the Red Alert universe which has been ported to Renegade-X to prove vehicles from other makes / brands / CnC series / and so on can also be ingame.

I am not sure if this vehicle will really work well against units as it does in Red Alert itself.

It is a case of aim. Sometimes it is easier to take out a patch with a light or arty, than an APC or buggy