Steam?

HaTe

Are the developers planning to submit an apply for steam greenlight soon? With beta4 comes a patching system I believe, which should realistically make updates much more convenient. It shouldn't be too long after that the game should be applied for steam, right? Just checking to see if this was the plan or not. Steam could increase the game's popularity drastically, and with the right advertising, the numbers could go right back up to beta 1 numbers quite easily. Except this time, with the majority of bugs fixed, there would be many more people staying.

Are the developers planning to submit an apply for steam greenlight soon? With beta4 comes a patching system I believe, which should realistically make updates much more convenient. It shouldn't be too long after that the game should be applied for steam, right? Just checking to see if this was the plan or not. Steam could increase the game's popularity drastically, and with the right advertising, the numbers could go right back up to beta 1 numbers quite easily. Except this time, with the majority of bugs fixed, there would be many more people staying.

With steam and a reliable build, I would bet the constant freebie influx would at least keep a cyclical come-and-leave crowd coming enough to keep multiple servers populated. Then some may stay on a regular, building a "regular" base stronger as well.

• Former Developers

We've always been interested in Steam integration, however it all depends on what EA has to say about it. We've asked them more than a dozen times, and we've never been able to get a straight up answer from them. Its very unfortunate, as Steam would help bring a lot more exposure to the game, as well as make it a lot easier for everyone to always stay up to date with the game.

Ohh it seemed like from previous dev responses on the matter that EA was okay with it. That's unfortunate :/ perhaps if we began to sign a petition it would prove harder for them to ignore?

I knew about the story havoc posted, so...

When the game is further developed we might be able to launch our own media offensive?

As someone that follows the game industry on a more corporate level in terms of what the companies themselves are like, I'm hesitant to think that EA would ever allow it. A game that's an unofficial part of one of their better known franchises reaching a platform that's the biggest competition Origin has?

The most likely way is if Totem Arts switched out models to ones that are unrelated to the Command and Conquer franchise and tweaked the plot elements to be something entirely new. It would be difficult but would clear the road to Steam.

The sad thing is that maps directly taken from Renegade would also have to be changed.

My eventual dream is that the studio I'm with could purchase the franchise and cut Totem loose to do what they want. Honestly, the full dream is reviving the franchise and restoring the basic design pillars it was founded on and remastering the classics with modern graphics and sound.

Unfortunately that is probably years out.

I'm a business guy myself too, so I understand that perspective pretty well too. They didn't order a cease and desist so apparently they do not care too strongly about it. If anything, it adds added publicity to an otherwise dead series, and gets people reinvolved who have otherwise left. If you spin it like that and have them recognize that it benefits everyone, I don't see them being publicly opposed (just privately, hence the ignorance). A petition would be hard to ignore with enough signatures though.

I most likely see them making a counter offer to put it on Origin which would be their good gesture. In their eyes it would satisfy any obligation toward their fans they might have and keep Steam off the table.

If it did go on Origin they would want to monetize it somehow as EA isn't doing the greatest financially at the moment.

If it did go on Origin they would want to monetize it somehow as EA isn't doing the greatest financially at the moment.

You know why? because of the DLC and pay-to-win model has had it's peak and is on it's decline, a steep one.

People are fed up with having to buy DLCs AND a monthly sub to be able to fully access a game.

10 years ago, the only well-played subscription game out there was World of Warcraft. Then there was a great new genre: "free-to-play" but "pay-to-win" which EA has combined with DLCs. It was a great money-maker, but in the long run, it's getting real expensive and people dont want to keep paying a retail price on a monthly basis just to play a certain game. Especially the casual gamer like myself.

You're looking at this completely backward.

EA was already fine with this, just like they are fine with the project as long as it is done in a completely non-lucrative way.

Why would they be against having a C&C game on steam? There are many EA games on Steam. They serve as publicity for Origin at worse.

While its true that EA has been focused solely on profit making, I think that this type of game is separate from those, since they had almost no involvement in the building of the game. Its a mod based on their built environment, not their own work themselves. If they can't recognize that, then they simply piss more people off and lose more fan-base. If you setup a petition hightlighting these points, it could at the very least be persuasive.

If you think you can word it in a convincing way.

I don't think that a company that would purchase and close about 12 or more studios over it's lifetime cares about fans so much over the bottom line. Factoring the layoffs at about every studio they acquire like PopCap, Maxis, and Bioware... Let's just say I don't have a favorable view of them and don't believe they care about much besides the bottom line or they wouldn't have gutted so many studios that people loved.

You're right and we've known that all along. It's highly unfortunate that their past has been like that. However, it is entirely possible that they have since changed or will otherwise view this situation differently. It's important to remain optimistic and keep persistence high in times like this.

We've always been interested in Steam integration, however it all depends on what EA has to say about it. We've asked them more than a dozen times, and we've never been able to get a straight up answer from them. Its very unfortunate, as Steam would help bring a lot more exposure to the game, as well as make it a lot easier for everyone to always stay up to date with the game.

Don't give up this have to be done .

After Renx will be done ,we will need the community to share the words will gameplays videso and cool stuffs and make the phone ring often at EA ;)

If you think you can word it in a convincing way.

I don't think that a company that would purchase and close about 12 or more studios over it's lifetime cares about fans so much over the bottom line. Factoring the layoffs at about every studio they acquire like PopCap, Maxis, and Bioware... Let's just say I don't have a favorable view of them and don't believe they care about much besides the bottom line or they wouldn't have gutted so many studios that people loved.

Pandemic :( and Westwood goes without saying in these forums...