RenGuard X

Tarvin

To guard against cheaters Renegade had a third party mod that checked for and prevented script editing that would be done by things like AimBots. If someone was suspected of cheating people could do a command to check if the suspect is using RenGuard or not. If not and there were enough people in a certain amount of time demanding the check then the accused would be auto-kicked/temp banned from the server until logs could be reviewed.

If a person was using RenGuard an announcement would be made in the chat window to protect players from accusations if they are just that good at what they do.

If the perpetrator was found to be cheating then they were perma-banned from the server. Is there a way something like this could be implemented to deal with the rampant aim-bots? It seems like something like this would be a nice addition to the RecordDemo command for rooting out the cheaters as it would give players in game a more immediate way to kick cheaters out.

I think the real strength of this is that there was a server component that it recorded scripts and such as well as searching out patterns used by cheat bots to make it easier to find out who is doing it and verify. I think it would automatically mark in logs when RenGuard checks were requested and who they were aimed at.

In all, I think it would make Renegade X a much more enjoyable experience.

For example, on the original Fields I was running into a tunnel entrance to put some remote C4 presents down for the people that kept taking pot shots at the base. I came face to face with two people that I managed to head shot with the pistol and kill. Even while I was still blinking and trying to take in whether I actually did what I just did two messages appeared in chat as the people I killed were running RenGuard checks on me. That was followed by the announcement that I was indeed using RenGuard and that was the end of it. No open accusations of cheating or frustration about it like are all too common in Renegade X right now.

Edited by Guest

RG was perhaps the worst anti-cheat program to ever be used in a game. All it did was give regular everyday whiners the power to forcerg someone and have them kicked. There was also compatibility issues galore with not being able to use it, and it blocked skins on full RG servers as well. Absolute garbage.

It was also bypassed within about a month with RGH, TB, and more.

Scripts 4.0+ are the new anti-cheat in Renegade, and it is built in. RG and !forcerg were a complete disastrous fail.

It's just a regular download and installation. Both server-side and client-side. How it prevents cheats from taking place is complicated and not something to discuss on a forums like this. It is mostly effective at blocking cheats in Renegade. I don't believe any aimbot has bypassed it thus far. There was one cheat that did with the original scripts 4.0, but afaik nothing has yet to bypass 4.1+. Renegade X is completely different though because of it being built on UDK rather than the w3d engine that Renegade was built on (which was originally made a bit before the year 2000).

Anti-cheat for UDK(3) games has proven to be nearly impossible to create effectively. That's not the Developer's fault and they are doing what they can to keep them out, but it's not something that is remotely easy to do with this engine (since there have been so many games released under these engines, the cheat-creating community is pretty large and extensive for this engine). Dedicated servers with moderators and administrators using the tools that the developers have put into the game are the best way to catch and ban cheaters. The fact that the game is free doesn't help this neither, as serials are much easier to come by, and so serial banning isn't really a realistic way to keep people out. Dynamic IP's make banning IP's hard to do, and so sometimes entire Ip ranges must be banned just to keep out 1 cheater. There are other ways to ban them as well, but it's best to not go into that here. To sum it up, cheaters are likely going to be a part of this game always, and it is up to the dedicated moderators and administrators to try to weed them out and keep them out (with the players' help, of course). The !forcerg system in Renegade did not work well, and ended up banning skilled players due to whiners quite frequently, so this really would not be a realistic solution, though I do thank you for caring and making a realistic attempt to try to help.

I honestly don't see the appeal of cheat programs like Aimbots. Joy. You killed someone with an auto headshot. Joy hurrah. Big whup. There's not an ounce of skill in it and you just tick everyone off.

Just a thought, and I'm not a coder mind you, only a designer, but would it be possible to block those sudden jumps if it's something that doesn't happen in the course of normal gameplay?

It wouldn't be possible to distinguish between the snapping from target to target artificially and just switching from target to target naturally, no. In reality it could be possible via code, but the false-positives that it would have would bring too many variances and controversies to really solve anything. Seeing it with your own eye is really the most effective and useful way to catch it happening (minus having an anti-cheat system that could detect the third-party cheat program running, but again, that's proven extremely difficult to do with this engine). That's why the recording tool is the best option we have right now.

What B4 will do is to enhance the record demo functionaliy. For example when those recordings are played back you will now be able to see the hit pattern more clearly. It will be much easier to tell from this recordings if someone really cheated.

RG was perhaps the worst anti-cheat program to ever be used in a game. All it did was give regular everyday whiners the power to forcerg someone and have them kicked. There was also compatibility issues galore with not being able to use it, and it blocked skins on full RG servers as well. Absolute garbage.

It was also bypassed within about a month with RGH, TB, and more.

Scripts 4.0+ are the new anti-cheat in Renegade, and it is built in. RG and !forcerg were a complete disastrous fail.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The version of RGH that couldn't be blocked because it used a windows exploit was made over 2 years after RG released, and the maker agreed to not release it (he eventually started hanging out on n00bstories IRC). All of the public versions were blocked. The rg irc channel always had several kicks per hour with retarded people trying to run with rgh, bighead, bones, pkg mods, etc

Most of what scripts4+ added was found because of renguard related testing... All of the shit released from UC we had figured out 1.5+ years before them. For some of them there were same-day serverside patches released lol

Cheats evading RG was made far less than 2 years after servers starting using RG fully. NS was one of the first to implement it because of Crimson's affiliation with the team. 0x90 had the aimbot made and eluded renguard via rgh not too much later, then eventually released it public before 2 years had gone by. I'm unsure if you are under some delusion about the subject, but the website (that will not be named) that the renegade cheats were posted on can provide logged proof of that too.

All of the public versions were blocked? I'm unsure if that was a joke or not. As a moderator throughout this entire period, there was a reason that most servers stopped using RG and had to use spectate more than ever to catch aimbotters. Big head, big bodies, ROF, and many other related cheats were blocked by BIATCH, not rg itself. So while I'm sure RG did catch many people using various cheats, it also did as much harm as it did good for the community with countless skilled players getting forcerg'd from servers who simply could not or did not prefer to run RG (me being one of those).

To claim that RG was ahead of UC and the cheat releases is a plain lie and honestly laughable for anyone who moderated during that time or played competitively.