AI Behavior Notes

Tarvin

I was playing around on single player skirmish maps just for the heck of it and noticed that some of characters AI seems to stand apart. In particular, I noticed that Hotwires must be the most insane and frightening warriors on the battlefield.

I turned on God mode as an SBH and walk around while shooting periodically so the enemy could see me. Almost instantly a Hotwire runs up to be and is throwing remote C4 in my face with such reckless abandon that she kills herself. I thought that was just an isolated incident. I was wrong. I strolled into the ref only to come face to face with another Hotwire who after quickly running through remote C4s started playing frisbee golf with proxies as the frisbees and my face as the goal.

I was somewhat stunned by the tenacity Hotwires show toward wanting to blow their opponents faces off.

Later in this observation I also witnessed two things I never thought I would see. A hottie was running around and laying proxies in the GDI base. While it was in a random checkerboard pattern outside of the barracks it was still an impressive effort for the AI. In that same match I also saw an engineer rush to repair a building that was damaged. He did it from outside the building but A for effort.

What has everyone else noticed about the AI behavior when playing in Skirmish Mode?

• Totem Arts Staff

I never knew they could do that...

What are very interesting in my botmatches are these :

We were just a few players versus bots just to wait for server to get populated in Walls. First minute, we were rushed by Soldiers. SOLDIERS. Never have I ever get scared by a bunch of 0 priced class ganging up together shooting everything that moves, and doing so well at that o.O Of course then the big guys flatten them...

Then a few minutes later, tanks started to pour in, slowly but surely. As a Nod, this is an alarming point before the AI start to mass Mammy, med and MRLS. But if you're lucky, they're gonna have traffic jam that never ends until you interrupt them, which is rarely the case since you'll die shortly after encountering such occurence with your own eyes. But if you're not and you're not prepared or vastly outnumbered, then say goodbye to your structures. It takes more than 3 people to actually put a resistance against a team full of bots without the aid of Nuke/Ion

Also occuring at the same moment, it is a Havoc/Sydney/Patch // Sakura/Raveshaw-fest. The thing is, Ramjet will advance towards you instead of camping, but with them as bots, this is more disadvantage than the opposite for you. But if they have no tanks, don't worry, because of the below

Witnessed in multiplayer servers : Bots kill themselves upon facing MCT. You take down their vehicle building, then you have nothing to worry about besides spawn-kill or some idiot/daredevil giving the bots vehicles

Also, derived from the UT behavior. Bots leave vehicles behind when it's 10% or lower. They probably believe they'll die if the vehicle explodes, as is the case of UT gameplay

Im happy if you can atleast get some enjoyment out of the bots. They are not our focus cause MP is, but for B4 i made some slight improvements to the AI. For example they wont abandone a vehicle anymore if it goes below 10%. Also their movement patterns was adjusted a bit so that they will stand still on the middle of the field or base less often so that it was pretty easy to snipe them. Also they will be able to fly that flying things in B4.

I never trained them to use mines though. So i dont know what they are doing with mines and what patterns they are using, but whatever it is, they must have learned it themselves :D

Bots dont know what an MCT is atm. So that they wont attack or heal it (wich. I had that on my todo list for a long time but most of the time something else relevant to MP was more important. But if B4 wont have too many issues i might invest some time again into AI to teach them how to use the MCT and if thats done i could possible try to teach them some different strategies/attack patterns. Basically to make them less predicatable in general. I dont think they will ever be able to fight a human team for the win but that is a goal too high anyway i think and would require a lot of work still while that time mostly is better spend on MP. But anyway: B4 will have some AI improvements and more might come in the future.

We were just a few players versus bots just to wait for server to get populated in Walls. First minute, we were rushed by Soldiers. SOLDIERS. Never have I ever get scared by a bunch of 0 priced class ganging up together shooting everything that moves, and doing so well at that o.O Of course then the big guys flatten them...

So you were playing on a server against bots? What server was this?

So you were playing on a server against bots? What server was this?

Handi is one of those guys who will convince everyone to join 1 team and fill the other team up with bots ... any public server can do that. Do the following:

Join a server (TmX server e.g.).

Do a vote to ADD BOTS to a team, JUST 1 TEAM! (e.g. GDI)

Players can now switch teams to the other team, which has no bots.

Voila, you have a public match, Bots vs players.

Handi did that before, when we had about 5 or 7 players in the server. 2v3 or 3v4 isnt a lot of fun, so we decided to do this. It can be quite fun, however, Bots have this gnasty deadly head-shot aim especially as PIC's and snipers

I wish the team could find someone to work on the AI in particular. Its a LOT of work to get it going and the current AI would need way too much work to be a decent human alternative.

There's a lot of simple things they need (simple only in words). Actively seeking out many different roles (offensive and defensive), seeking out targets to repair, understanding MCTs, judging the need for repairs, judging how to attack buildings and plant bombs, knowing basic beacon planting, knowing how to disarm beacons and planted C4, having ways to unite the bots into simple but cohesive rushes.

And thats just off the top of my head. I've wanted to go into AI programming long ago, but specifically for games. I don't know if there's such a thing? Game AI experts? It definitely sounds like something that needs a dedicated position because of how complex and deep it is.

There's a reason most modern games have TERRIBLE AI, despite having AAA budgets.

I've seen Hotwires placing mines because they where trying to shoot me from a long distance with their mines equipped. That doesn't work with mines..

I could have sworn one of the Hotwires actually switched from her pistol before running up and throwing the C4 at me. The ones I encountered seemed to know what they were doing.

As for work, I think the main tweak would be limiting how often the AI can do headshots. Let's say, non sniper characters can only get headshots about 30% of the time.

RypeL mentioned tweaking the AI to understand MCT's and such so they may be viable server fillers soon.

• Totem Arts Staff
Handi

It's Hande btw, but yeah... I first tried to ask RuinCobra, and then we had 3 GDI vs 37 Nod on Field. As expected, they don't know what AGT is and rush to their death. :P and that's where I begin to ask to do that on half empties or those who are wondering what is best to do to ease boredom

I've tried UDK's AI once. still befuddled with the whole WhatToDoNext and LatentWhatToDoNext ._.

So you've had experience with the whole AI filling a server thing.

Did this happen before or after your remark in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74666

If you got the experience against bot teams after your last remark would you mind giving feedback based on the experience?

I have a suggestion that relies on how AI handle things but I've only faced them in skirmish so I'm lacking the experience to tell if it would be practical or not.