Who here has played UT4?

zocom7

When Renegade-X was released, people were wowed. When UT4 was released and was heard it's going to be 100% free-to-play, people were even more wowed. But I wish in the future the C&C game mode was implemented into UT4 using UT content and not C&C content.

Now UT4 has surpassed the content and size of Renegade-X by a lot so far (over 16 playable maps -- you heard that right), but still it's in Alpha mode and custom maps and mods are already supported. So who here has played UT4? :D

As if the ammount of unfinished random maps for a DM game is anything impressive. That beeing said i tried it yesterday for the first time and i will keep following it. Though it really just feels like UT99. Thats why i think it will be hard for it to get a playerbase. It might come down to modders to find the right type of gamemode that appeals to a larger crowd. I played Ut99 in clans and it was great but nowadays its very hard to get a crowd for a DM shooter. ATM its the hype giving the game players but that will dry out soon.

There's nothing that really needs to be changed about the UT99-style gameplay, changing the gameplay is what buried UT to begin with. Once the game gets into beta they'll shift focus more to social features (think dota -> dota2, CSS -> CSGO). That and the modding will be what helps maintain a playerbase and sets UT4 apart from the other UT clones being made atm.

They should have atleast included dodge jumping like in UT04. They removed it for UT3 and it might be the main reason why UT3 never took off. Now they are leaving it out again as if they didnt learn their lesson with UT3. Dodging alone just isent that fun. It is very bland if you compare it to strafe jumping. Atleast dodge jumping helped to make the movement more interesting and fun.

The project will come down to how many passionate, gamechanging modders it will really get (and its impossible to predict if that will happen). Chances are it will also rely on old community modders like me btw and if i make another RypelCam version for UT4. RypelCam was an important mod for UT99 and UT04 and helped to keep them alive but UT3 couldnt really be saved by anything. Now i have to ask myself if making my mod again for UT4 would be worth my time. Though chances are the game wont be a success cause it seems to be UT3 all over again. Without dodge jumping or other movement improvements im not convinced in its success. Shiny graphics arent everything. But we will see soon enough.

UT2004 was amazing but actually felt new.

UT3 felt like a worse UT99. Thus, there was no point to it.

At least, UT4 can bring UT99 "back" to a point where it has people playing it and a living modding community.

That said, the core game doesn't interest me much. Playing TDM and CTF is just not special enough at this point. The vehicle-specific gametypes in all UT games were terrible, too. (I'm talking about Onslaught/Warfare)

I'm not one that loves the concept of "bringing back the exact same formulas of the past". Yes, I loved UT99, too. The game is 16 years old. We can't even have new weapons anymore, its kind of silly.

There is a reason I love Renegade and find it impossible to compare to UT. If UT could make some REALLY interesting gametypes and start bringing more interesting weapons and dynamics, I'd be in. But from the looks of UT4, at best, I'll play occasional games of CTF and TDM to bring back memories.

And thats fine, but I'll stick to Renegade X for when I have multiplayer time.

The worst part now is that it looks and feels far more like UT3 than UT99. Which is bad. UT3 felt bad to the core. But its so early and open, so I'm really just going to wait a long time and see what comes out of it.

• Totem Arts Staff
I haven't played in a month or so but there was definitely dodge jumping? There was an option to change dodge from a double tap to a keypress, maybe they made keypress default recently and you didn't notice?

I think dodgejump means this

Dodge -> Double jump in the air

Definitely didn't see this yet. I don't know what to feel about this move, and I have no say since I don't play MP a lot, being cooped up in internetless house. It's rather (but not annoyingly) tedious to do IMO, and I think Epic replaced it with Hoverboard. First time I was on that thing, I started to surf around just for fun. It's also useful to jump on the height double jump can't take you (jump -> double jump -> toggle hoverboard = Get a triple jump FTW).

Also, heard about this talk about implementing XMP from Unreal 2. I've never played it, but some people seem to get excited about it...

Hoverboard and double jump have nothing in common. Hoverboard is a vehicle-map kind of thing.

Double dodge jump completely changes the way you can move around the maps. I never played the vehicle gametypes, I thought they were god awful. In TDM and CTF, double dodge jumps were incredibly fun.

There were even training maps with a lot of technical challenges to learn the subtleties of UT2004's moveset.

It was something else.

• Totem Arts Staff
Hoverboard and double jump have nothing in common. Hoverboard is a vehicle-map kind of thing.

Double dodge jump completely changes the way you can move around the maps. I never played the vehicle gametypes, I thought they were god awful. In TDM and CTF, double dodge jumps were incredibly fun.

There were even training maps with a lot of technical challenges to learn the subtleties of UT2004's moveset.

It was something else.

Hoverboard is said to ease the travel time when on foot. In vehicle gametypes, double dodge jump is ESSENTIAL if you want to keep up with even a Goliath. Try running toward a moving one in UT2K4, and you'll see.

I'm just referring to that thing.