Rifle Toggle Fire Modes

Tarvin

After being in several matches I started to realize something. I have been killed in a fight against 2 or more engineers using pistols while I'm unloading clip after clip of full-auto. That reminded me of some sayings that the military has about fully-automatic weaponry. "Accuracy by volume" and "Spray and pray".

I think the game would be both more realistic and balanced if toggled fire modes could be included into automatic weaponry. Not only is fully automatic fire inaccurate many military weapons don't even have the option on their rifles to force their soldiers to do something called aiming. The balance would come from increased lethality of rifles due to decreased recoil impact over standard pistols which should be the case anyhow.

The three fire modes for rifles would be single, 3-round burst, and fully "hope to hit something" auto.

A large part of it is the feel of it. Many modern shooters have the option to switch fire modes because people don't always think to fire in bursts when in the middle of a fight. Part of it is making the game more immersive by giving people another thing to focus on than point in general direction and empty clip. It would also make clips last longer for players that want to ration their ammo and stay in the field longer.

Not getting it. Just don't hold the button all the time. The weapon's auto fire mode is fine, it has little spread and a 100 bullets in a clip. Toggle is pretty terrible in a game like this, you don't expect your shots to kill, so the weapon might just stop firing while you had a few more bullets that could have hit if you were auto firing. You have those 100 bullets for a reason.

The weapon is just bad, though. The pistol outclass it at all effective range, the automatic rifle has pathetic medium-longer range capabilities because of the bullet travel times and awful damage, the gun only outclasses the pistol in super short range where the shotgun destroys it.

Its probably the worst weapon in the game, so there's the explanation on why pistol beats you.

Edited by Guest

Its probably the worst weapon in the game, so there's the explanation on why pistol beats you.

Never even considered that it was the weapon having horrible damage that causes it to be outclassed by pistols which makes the soldier class seem entirely worthless. My assumption was that recoil was the reason why even careful aiming caused the damage to go down slower.

I think that somewhat changes the purpose of the topic somewhat to increasing the power of the automatic rifle. Without that happening what's the point of even having a soldier class when engineers top them in firepower, have more offensive options in the way of Remote C4, and can repair players and vehicles.

I still think that 3-round burst options on auto weaponry would be nice but there would have to be appreciable recoil for that to be beneficial for anything other than rationing ammo. That alone though might make it worth it in my opinion because of how easy it is to run out of ammo entirely just from one firefight.

Not getting it. Just don't hold the button all the time. The weapon's auto fire mode is fine, it has little spread and a 100 bullets in a clip. Toggle is pretty terrible in a game like this, you don't expect your shots to kill, so the weapon might just stop firing while you had a few more bullets that could have hit if you were auto firing. You have those 100 bullets for a reason.

The weapon is just bad, though. The pistol outclass it at all effective range, the automatic rifle has pathetic medium-longer range capabilities because of the bullet travel times and awful damage, the gun only outclasses the pistol in super short range where the shotgun destroys it.

This is true. But, 1, you optionally have a pistol too as a sidearm. And 2, the autorifle is a highly suggested weapon for at least 1 free-class-group to have because of it's huge umbrella of effective ranges. Pistol are good at several arm's length, so is the shotgun, but both are useless at the longest of ranges, and marksman are useless at point blank. The autorifle gets results based on the idea, that if you get a shotgun you will only find people really far away, and if you get a marksman rifle you will only have people fall in your lap.

Saying the auto rifle is worthless is the same as admitting that you have bad aim. The auto rifle is great. Aim for the head.

I do aim for the head. It's just my opinion that the automatic rifle seems underpowered as a classes primary weapon free or not. I get headshots using Gunner in close quarters so not sure what the issue is.

In other people's experience how fast does the health of a free unit go down when hit in the head with the auto-rifle? I was shooting an engineer while taking the time to aim carefully for the head at moderate range but the pistol was still enough to kill me before the engineer's health went out.

I usually have it do decent damage to be honest. It is just, it isn't hitscan so if they side-strafe, you have to fire in front of where they are walking.

Anyway, it already is burst-fire-able. I fire it in 6-8 round bursts, more like barrages, but that pause every 6-8 rounds really makes the 3 bullets that I start firing the next burst really count since they usually hit for reliable high damage. If I peck though, it wastes all the volume damage of tracking the target, but if I fire longer than that then more than half the shots miss. I can usually fire up to 9 shots with over 50% accuracy.

What also matters, if you yourself side-strafeing. You can NOT stand still yourself to better aim at them while they move. Even if you do land reliable headshots, they will land 100% headshots as you stand still, and pistol headshots are like 40 damage a piece, making 5-6 shots kill. Autorifle headshots aren't even that much, I think 20 while bodyshot damage is 5. Still, if you hit headshots every 7 shots, and then miss 2 out of 7, I still think 80-90 rounds kill an enemy.

The point is, it kills enemies, as long as you don't stand still and let enemies kill you much faster first. As long as you really quickly run long distances side by side unpredictably, not short side by side nor too long in any direction, then your rifle should do 50 damage for every 40 their handgun does.