Spy crates are pointless 80% of the time

rytlock

Spy crates are pointless 80% of the time because its so easy to find people who have them even without going up close to them as your hit marker gose red dot in the middle ect i wish they just did spy crates like the old renegade where you turn steath then anything else because it's just shit

...Ever try walking into a base entrance backwards?

Dead... serious.

I invented that tactic in Team Fortress 2, back when it was new for the xbox 360.

Backpedal with a soldier or demoman or pyro, screaming "Medic!".

That was SO EFFECTIVE early in the game's life. Imagine how many enemies I got heals from, walking right alongside down into the intellegence room, them thinking I am going down to lay explosives on it, they set up a dispenser, I walk right up and grab it, leaving them gawking at wtf just happened.

But no, he is right. Just walk backwards out of the tunnels into the enemy base, make it look like you are hugging a wall to peek out. If they see you doing this, maybe even exploit it by shooting into the tunnel peeking in and out of a wall at the entrance, making them think your team is at their entrance, while they amass at the entrance waiting for your team you continue deeper into the base unquestioned.

• Totem Arts Staff

Just gotta' get creative (and a little bit lucky) with spies. Hell, I've flown a stolen Apache into Nod's base backward before and NOBODY noticed. This was a 20v20 and this wasn't exactly a completely derpy Nod team.

Also, it helps if you walk backward into the base during a good deal of chaos, so that way nobody is really paying attention to subtle details.

Walking backwards is pretty good if it works, i recall a moment on field when it was 20vs20 i got given a GDI Engineer, so planned my approach on teamspeak with few other guys, walk in backwards and once i got closer to gdi's base, mrls were shooting everywhere so i started shooting towards my own team so they didn't suspect me, casually strolled behind the wf, nuked... few seconds later few gdi come beside me and just run past me as i pretending i was defusing the nuke.. lol safe to say gdi lost wf right after that moment, and lost the game not to long after that..

Just gotta be clever in your approach

I just play Nod, always the designated defender, scoping everyone, even friendlies especially after the "enemy got a spy crate" message.

the "Q" WILL ALWAYS mark the spy in any distance. They will have this red reticle on them which you can follow around for about 5 seconds, but this helps in detecting spies. Q on a friendly does nothing.

On the off-chance of finding myself on GDI, I'm the one crate-hunting untill I find an SBH spy. Even though this still didn't happen yet.

While on Nod, I find spies harder to play with to infiltrate GDI, because they are already on patrol for SBHs (e.g. walls)

Personally I never had any luck with spies. Usually you would pickup a crate in for example field. Second later, when you even enter the tunnel entrance, you just get instant killed with a sniper. I think I managed to get in their base with a spy once, but if you are just looking around all the time like I do it's way too easy to spot them and indeed mark them with Q.

Walking backwards is pretty good if it works, i recall a moment on field when it was 20vs20 i got given a GDI Engineer, so planned my approach on teamspeak with few other guys, walk in backwards and once i got closer to gdi's base, mrls were shooting everywhere so i started shooting towards my own team so they didn't suspect me, casually strolled behind the wf, nuked... few seconds later few gdi come beside me and just run past me as i pretending i was defusing the nuke..

If MRLS were shooting everywhere, smart money were, you could have "repaired" the WF (shot mostly the air as you walked with repgun out in WF), and when you got into MCT you throw your timed ON THE ROOF ABOVE MCT and your remotes into the repairmen. No more repair, building dead.

Should have nuked a nearby structure, then did that to the repairmen, then return to the nuke and started repairing it to trick people that it is being repaired. (if someone else helps, stand in front of them, it will take them 8 seconds to register you are red and in fact are not helping at all)

Remember, Team Hampering is not against the rules and in fact is encouraged, if it is against the enemy team. Nothing is better than Team Hampering the enemy team as a spy unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same luck with spies or worse. I got a spy TWICE in one match in fields at the closest bunker.

I immediately starting dodging my way toward the base but GDI had people all over the field and immediately did spy checks EVERYWHERE. I couldn't even get from the Nod bunker to the base so I could purchase a beacon. I swear, there was someone just waiting for a crate to be picked up the second time.

Invisible infiltrators are best in my opinion because they give a fighting chance to at least get where you can purchase a beacon. I've seen plenty people just using their spy characters like Mobious to just defend their own base because of how easy it is to see spies coming and anyone that paid attention to the message will do a check right then and there especially on experienced teams.

• Totem Arts Staff

I think you're on the wrong team. GDI has to be aware of SBH all the time, spy or not

But really, you will have to avoid meeting opposing players. I was GDI, snuck around as a Spy in XMountain and kept myself away from the Nod as much as possible. I was just scouting for Nod's shipments though. In the unnoticable corner while their vehicles passed me without firing at me

I even changed my name to painfully obvious ones like ILoveKane, KaneRulz, DownwithGDI, Imaspy, Im not a spy, Dontmindme, Red, charmander. And you know what? I had a very high ratio of blowing up something. Since changing my name can cause to lose my recs I don't do it anymore. There was a time I tried to convince my spy teammate to change his name to Ren, so we could waltz in side by side as Ren and Stimpy. Spies are fun :)