The Overly Comprehensive Guide to Renegade X (Updated to B4)

yosh56

• Totem Arts Staff

So, because The Yosh was not kidding when he said he had nothing better to do in the desert than write 30,000 words pertaining to Renegade X, here is this overly complicated guide to just about everything in Renegade X beta 3(EDIT: 4). This is a bit of a mouthful, so hopefully once I get my desktop up and running, I'll be turning this into a string of videos (or actually poke Glacious and just hop in with him on that)

The Mostly Comprehensive Guide to Renegade X

EDIT: Updated to Beta 4; should only be revisions for patches/errors and beautification efforts from here on out.

REV.0:

-------

+Moved and centered the table of contents heading, as it was positioned weirdly at the bottom of the page.

-------

-Added attachments for spies, smoke grenades and countering proximity mines, since they seem to be some of the least understood objects in the game for players.

-Updated values for rocket soldier/PIC and the other weapons that were changed against vehicles.

-Added a title picture that's up for debate

-Added multiple hyperlinks to images to help clarify ideas and suggestions better, and will be adding more as time goes on.

+Added one mention of vandammge

---------

To Do List:

+Add attachment to showcase ALL infantry (will be done hand-in-hand with updating the wiki)

+Add attachment to showcase ALL vehicles (will be done hand-in-hand with updating the wiki)

+Add a separate "Proper mining" attachment, or possibly just integrate it into the mining sections of both sides.

+Commence video tutorials which will undoubtedly be linked to in this guide to clarify text even further, and help break up the monotony of text.

+Beautify the guide with backgrounds, watermarks, etc to make it more appealing and professional looking.

+Learn Japanese instead of always playing Renegade and working on this guide........ :o

---------------

If anyone is willing to just take screenshots of various interesting things (Rushes, infiltration paths, etc) I may be willing to use them. They don't have to even really reference anything, as I do plan on just adding some random (but relevant) pictures about to break up the massive wall-o-text.

Edited by Guest
  • Thanks 1

Nice guide, often hilarious wording.

Spell/grammar/typo/accident check: +Tac-rifle does 6 damage a shot to armour. 50 shots, 8 rounds per minute, and you've got a recipe for damage.

Use ctrl-f in your doc to find that. Tac rifle, if it did 8 rounds per minute, would have a slower rate of fire than the rocket soldier. that is a single shot every 7 seconds...

...Of course though, you meant the Tac Rifle has 50 shots, 8 rounds per SECOND I think. Or idk... but def not minute...

ALSO:

*If the building has a door near the MCT (The Ref, Airstrip and Powerplant), get an infantry unit to hold the doors open and blast the healers. This is kind of difficult with Flame tanks and Stanks however, but the concept still applies. This is where letting an Artillery or Light tank be included in the rush comes in handy. Arts and Lights are far better at killing engineers grouped in front of MCTs than Flames or Stanks.

Use ctrl-f to find that. You copy-pasted the paragraph you used for GDI, targetting mct building doors for Nod. Now, that paragraph is tips for Nod, and Nod cannot target a GDI airstrip. You mean Ref, PP, WF, and AGT. For that matter, when using it for GDI, the Obby is a structure that an open door can kill the healers.

• Totem Arts Staff
Nice guide, often hilarious wording.

Spell/grammar/typo/accident check: +Tac-rifle does 6 damage a shot to armour. 50 shots, 8 rounds per minute, and you've got a recipe for damage.

Use ctrl-f in your doc to find that. Tac rifle, if it did 8 rounds per minute, would have a slower rate of fire than the rocket soldier. that is a single shot every 7 seconds...

...Of course though, you meant the Tac Rifle has 50 shots, 8 rounds per SECOND I think. Or idk... but def not minute...

ALSO:

*If the building has a door near the MCT (The Ref, Airstrip and Powerplant), get an infantry unit to hold the doors open and blast the healers. This is kind of difficult with Flame tanks and Stanks however, but the concept still applies. This is where letting an Artillery or Light tank be included in the rush comes in handy. Arts and Lights are far better at killing engineers grouped in front of MCTs than Flames or Stanks.

Use ctrl-f to find that. You copy-pasted the paragraph you used for GDI, targetting mct building doors for Nod. Now, that paragraph is tips for Nod, and Nod cannot target a GDI airstrip. You mean Ref, PP, WF, and AGT. For that matter, when using it for GDI, the Obby is a structure that an open door can kill the healers.

Ah thanks for that second one. The Patch one I actually just noticed when I glanced at the guide a few minutes ago. So that's fixed already. Mucho appreciado.

Yo Yosh!

You know how much it is appreciated your effort in putting up that "guide", but it's bigger and more complex than I've ever seen for any other game! (which I havent lol)

It's even bigger than my graduation report and internship reports together! lol!

Videos make 500 page Harry Potter into an hour. For that matter, 12 page Cat in the Hat into an hour as well. So meh.

As far as I care, it is REALLY detailed. At least a few highlighted paragraphs is now required reading for any friends I show this game to lol. Because if anything, it shows that this game scaled really powerfully with 20 man teams. Though I still prefer 12 mans. There are random spread out guys EVERYWHERE in really crowded maps that are 20v20 unless you do have a gang of 8 personal henchmen to work with.

In which case, you call up an APC in the first second, and win in less than a minute. Which is HEAVILY encouraged in this guide despite not being allowed in pubs anymore soon. Which makes me wonder why is it encouraged? It is sort of OP, and make people with no friends feel even sadder about their life (joke).

I mean, occasionally in whiteout we had successes with a combo of 7 riflemen just rushing into the front of the base, into the hon, and just c4 blowing it up while the enemy focused on our harvy, but spontaneous teamwork is one thing, yet intentionally planned group of friendship teamwork can pretty much 8v16. Which is what I would set the teams as if I were a moderator watching it happen :cool:;)

Oh, oh, I hear timed c4 does EDIT:10 damage to the outside of a building? That's a lot... if you get 10 guys atop a HoN and sync'd their c4 toss, you could instakill it from the roof? Why don't SBH do this yet, like on the PP rooftop in walls?

SUGGESTION: What about proper use of a spy crate if you happen upon one? That is something that is more useful than a SBH even if not cloaked, and we were just talking about walking backwards into an enemy base like you were a teammate returning from the field, and even as an engi planting a beacon and then repairing it yourself to spoof dummies (adding a timed nearby to cause diffusal chaos or preoccupy enemies trying to diffuse your beacon)

Edited by Guest

-

Oh, oh, I hear timed c4 does 20 damage to the outside of a building? That's a lot... if you get 5 guys atop a HoN and sync'd their c4 toss, you could instakill it from the roof? Why don't SBH do this yet, like on the PP rooftop in walls?

Timed C4 does 10% to the outside of a building, not 20%. Else 2 techies/hotties could blow it up from the outside!

((2x T-C4 --> 40%) + (2x R-C4 --> 20%)) x2 --> 120% total damage from the outside.

Remember, Remote C4 does 1/2 the damage compared to Timed C4 to buildings.

• Totem Arts Staff

Oh thank God that was typo on Tranquility's behalf >_> I was searching for where it said that it did 20%, a that would throw more than enough people off.

h, oh, I hear timed c4 does EDIT:10 damage to the outside of a building? That's a lot... if you get 10 guys atop a HoN and sync'd their c4 toss, you could instakill it from the roof? Why don't SBH do this yet, like on the PP rooftop in walls?

It DOES happen when there's enough people coordinated. I also mention doing it out of a Transport helicopter, though that comes with the terror of being kicked/banned for possibly throwing C4 that can't be reached. But yes, you can use 10 timed to kill a building from the outside. That's the entire contents of a Transport helicopter full of Hotwires/Techs, or an APC filled with them. In all reality, if people did it more, I'm pretty sure it would be considered overpowered.

SUGGESTION: What about proper use of a spy crate if you happen upon one? That is something that is more useful than a SBH even if not cloaked, and we were just talking about walking backwards into an enemy base like you were a teammate returning from the field, and even as an engi planting a beacon and then repairing it yourself to spoof dummies (adding a timed nearby to cause diffusal chaos or preoccupy enemies trying to diffuse your beacon)

Already have plans to add on to it once B4 is released.

Please summarise the 30,000 post in 1 sentence to make it easy for my monkey brain to comprehend

Good teamwork means nothing if you don't know what options are at your disposal, or how to go about carrying out those options.

Still too much, pick 3 mildly descriptive adjectives for me

• Totem Arts Staff
Please summarise the 30,000 post in 1 sentence to make it easy for my monkey brain to comprehend

Good teamwork means nothing if you don't know what options are at your disposal, or how to go about carrying out those options.

Still too much, pick 3 mildly descriptive adjectives for me

Teamwork, knowledge good. (Like one of those is an adjective)

I was going to suggest mentioning whiteout defences, but unfortunately are going to be gone in beta4 so no point.

Was also going to suggest a list of every weapon/character/vehicle/equipment and what it does effectively (or what it doesn't do well), but that might just be filler or not. Just seems like a lot of explanation on how to do things, without explaining the characters that don't have a "point", which would be nice to specify. You do this just for the free infantry btw.

Was also going to suggest mentioning "spy crates" and how to use them. They are very powerful.

You should probably mention Stank stacking in the rush section: I tried this out with 4 other people and we wiped out the entire base on Walls. Three times. In a row.

Basically stack all stanks on top of each other, and as a result, the stanks all infiltrate at the same time.

I drove behind the GDI ref/pp, told everybody to get down, and we blew up the base. Of course the luck factor of nobody being near the GDI entrance played a role, but using this method is far more effective than making a long line of tanks that could get slapped around by bad drivers.

If spotted, all stanks have to break off and attack the nearest building or return to base depending on the circumstance. It'll still be way better than making a line.

A glitch. But, he does mention vehicle stacking. He should mention it in the vehicle stacking section. He mentions GDI stacking their mammies, and particularly praises adding a med to a mammy because the individual turrets are excellent for eliminating targets while having survivable combo and cozy room. He should mention nod stank/arty/flame stacking.

Then again, the devs should make the tops of things frictionless surfaces, much like they are making the top of air vehs are damaging in beta4 notes. Then people standing atop people will move in the direction they land without air control of their character, and same with tanks sliding in the direction they are moving when on top another tank, making it impossible to go anywhere with a stack.

Then again, they need to make tank fronts fake-flat when they are slanted, because a lot of people abuse ramping vehicles to render their front turret unattackable so they get a free kill.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

I jumped the gun on when it was supposedly going to be ready, and honestly I'd like to have waited another week or so to gussy it up a bit, but it's definitely updated text-wise at least.

Updated to Beta 4 and added a slight change-log to the first post. Link is updated, and I do plan on working on this more, especially with gathering screenshots and everything else to help it not be 99% text with no visuals.

Will also be poking around the wiki soon, as making the infantry/vehicle list now will go hand and hand with updating the severely out-of-date wiki we're dealing with here.

I'll add this to the first post as well, but if anyone is willing to just take screenshots of various interesting things (Rushes, infiltration paths, etc) I may be willing to use them. They don't have to even really reference anything, as I do plan on just adding some random (but relevant) pictures about to break up the massive wall-o-text.

I never actually took the time to read this because it is completely unneeded for me. But I saw it being referenced officially, so I figured I'd go and read it up a bit to check to see what it says. I helped edit some of the original renegadewiki pages (and had several discussions and arguments with spoony about these as well), for a source reference.

Things I disagree with:

In all seriousness, where you spawn should determine your initial line of thought. If you're in one of

the structures furthest back, you are probably a better asset to your team by camping out for 3 or 4

minutes, or at least until the harvester has made one drop-off. At most, you may want to go watch the

tunnels for stragglers that walk into the base unopposed, but your best bet is to listen for call-outs

about early game APC rushes, and be prepared to greet 4 engineers with remote C4 to the face.

Coming from a competitive standpoint, the first thing you learn is to NEVER STOP MOVING (the exception being if a teammate has called out a rush and you expect it to come there). Camping the back of your base for 3-4 minutes!? That's absurd. Move out, gain intel, and attack. Set the pace early and get the opposing team on their heels. At the very least, defend your harvester and keep it alive or camp the tunnels (this is one of the things you mentioned too). Do not sit in the back of your base, as you become a detriment to your team more than anything. Put some remote c4s in the ceiling of the building you spawn in if you spawn back there and you expect an APC rush, though. I personally do not leave a building early-game without throwing a timed c4 near the MCT then refilling. This has saved a building several times, believe it or not.

Mid-Game Spawning/Respawning

I don't disagree with anything in particular that you say in this section, but some things are neglected. Such as:

How many people are in-game. This is always important to know. If it's a low count, then there's likely people easily sneaking into your base, so you should lookout. If it's a high count, then the battle is usually mostly spread out, and so you should find where the fighting is taking place.

Score / Time left. If one team is killing the other and there's 20 minutes left, you know you have work to do. If you're winning with 5 minutes left by a lot, you know that the team will probably be rushing and to just camp it out or hold the siege. Even if it is marathon, the score gives you a good idea of which team controls the field. Usually, the winning team has possessed the field for the longest amount of time.

Who is in-game. Know your enemy. The player-base is small right now. Know who you're going against, and know their playstyle. If they like to do individual tech/hotty rushes, be wary know that you need to keep an eye on the mines closely. If they are a pro sniper, realize that and don't run in straight lines into the tunnels or repair standing still. You must know your enemy to defeat them the most efficiently.

What map it is. Obvious enough, but hugely important.

-Engineers

I'd add the silo capturing aspect of this unit here as well.

-Rocket Officer

3. You're fairly low on credits and your team needs anti-air support.

-Some things to consider when APC rushing-

Protip: Shoot at a building as you pass by it to set off the EVA warning for that building, and then go to the next one. It makes the enemy team think for a little bit that engineers got out at that building possibly.

Admittedly, I got to S5.111 and stopped for now. Reading this much of things that are basic in my mind (but useful to others, no doubt) can get boring lol. I'll read the rest at some other point.

• Totem Arts Staff
Coming from a competitive standpoint, the first thing you learn is to NEVER STOP MOVING (the exception being if a teammate has called out a rush and you expect it to come there). Camping the back of your base for 3-4 minutes!? That's absurd. Move out, gain intel, and attack. Set the pace early and get the opposing team on their heels. At the very least, defend your harvester and keep it alive or camp the tunnels (this is one of the things you mentioned too). Do not sit in the back of your base, as you become a detriment to your team more than anything. Put some remote c4s in the ceiling of the building you spawn in if you spawn back there and you expect an APC rush, though. I personally do not leave a building early-game without throwing a timed c4 near the MCT then refilling. This has saved a building several times, believe it or not.

This is iffy, as this part was written as of beta 2-3 where donations+early APC rushes were basically the beginning of the game. There was no waiting period, and often times teams could have people joining exceptionally late. Beta 2 especially, with the crashing issues, meant teams were often uneven as all hell at the beginning, meaning leaving your base when your team was only 6 deep compared to the 10 on the other side was a suicide mission anyway.

It's worth thinking about revising now, as APC rushes aren't much of an issue now, but still you're usually more helpful defending the harvester if you know your sprint is going to be used up just getting from the back of the base to the front on a map like Walls.

Mid-Game Spawning/Respawning

May add some of those in.

Protip: Shoot at a building as you pass by it to set off the EVA warning for that building, and then go to the next one. It makes the enemy team think for a little bit that engineers got out at that building possibly.

That one's iffy. Often times I've seen APCs do better by not ever shooting off their gun at all. Idiots on the enemy team come in two flavours though: those that will immediately fall for the audio cue, and just look at a building that EVA tells them to; then there's the one that won't pay attention to either, but also actually responds to vehicles in the distance if they happen to fire at something.

Again, it's hit or miss. Generally just being totally quiet has done many an early APC rush good.

Yeah but even that chance that the enemy goes to the wrong building first is often saving you enough time to be able to destroy the real target building. I would do this in City all the time in the original. People would be in the field during an early APC rush and have to kill themselves when they saw an APC headed towards their base. I would drive by the Refinery (as GDI), shoot it and wait there a second, then go to the PP.

By that time, the enemy team has already spammed "Defend the Refinery," EVA has already gave the Refinery under attack warning, and so most people just respawning are headed towards the ref. Since the PP doors were easily guarded by my APC, it gave me all the extra time i needed. You're right that it is hit-or-miss, but it's no-risk/high-reward.

Why not suggest suiciding on the first spawn if you get a back-of-the-base-spawn? Unless there's a system in place that spawns you in the same place (haven't officially played hard enough to tell), this was always a competitive strategy in Renegade. I often just go to the nearest PT to the field and quick "E R" before exiting, to regain my sprint. That should at least be noted, now that sprint is also refilled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

You really covered most of aspects in RenX in this guide.

I just read the part about team morale. It's interesting how psychological warfare is another whole aspect of this game.

in my opinion, wiki wouldn't be exactly the best format for guide like this, but it would provide good way to moderate the whole thing, embed videos and make links to other C&C wikis, probably mostly http://cnc.wikia.com/

Also renegadex.wikia.com is still unclaimed, better take it fast.

Also, I think there are some topics that could also be part of the guide:

• basic radio commands usage
  • basic multiplayer culture concepts
    • trash talking not welcome
    • provide reason for kicking players
    • show appreciation for good teamwork

[*]how to keep your team's morale up

[*]tools provided for communication / coordiantion

• keep coordination strictly to team chat
    • use surveys to get team's feedback
    • game clock or end of survey as synchronization tool

Best way to present all this knowledge from your guide to players would be in the form of in-game tutorial, but until then, wiki + video demonstations should be good enough to pass on your wisdom.

• 2 years later...