3 or 4 team free-for-all maps?

iownthisnick

Hi,

I was wondering if the way the game is designed and coded allowed for maps where more than 2 teams would compete against one another. I thought the idea of having maps which pit 3 or 4 teams against one another (on new maps created by the team, of course) would be really interesting.

This is more of a long-term or hypothetical question, really. I was just wondering what you devs thought of it, or if it even crossed your mind.

How do you immagine winning conditions?

Example 4 teams:

Team 1 gets killed and cannot play AT ALL untill 2 more teams get wooped. Same for 2nd team to get killed.

Immagine a map like Field, 2 teams "on standby" while the other 2 teams duke it out for final victory. It's no fun if it's a stalemate situation.

Another example for 4 teams:

2x Nod vs 2x GDI, they are allied to eachother, so you basically get the same as it is now, but with 2 bases. Lose 1 base and that team is weaker for it, fighting against 2 teams. (as the destroyed base doesnt get to play anymore AND being "on standby")

Another:

2x Nod vs 2x GDI, unallied, so each team has 3 foes.

Both Nod's and 1 GDI team decide to pummel 1 team. Unfair game imo.

Result in a 1v1v1 where 2 teams decide to pummel the other.

Result in a 1v1 as it is now, stalemate ensues and the other 2 destroyed teams are "on standby" again waiting for a winner to emerge.

Team 1 gets killed and cannot play AT ALL untill 2 more teams get wooped. Same for 2nd team to get killed.

Immagine a map like Field, 2 teams "on standby" while the other 2 teams duke it out for final victory. It's no fun if it's a stalemate situation.

I hadn't thought about that aspect. It's true that players would be stuck either watching or leaving the server, which is probably the only C&C game where this could actually be an issue. I think there would be ways to design maps or game modes to circumvent this issue (say, make victory possible at a given point total, or make such a game more limited in time), but I guess there remains the issue of code, which I expected would be a problem.

Thanks for the replies!