Seeing what classes there are on your team

vleessjuu

In the old Renegade you could bring up this overview that showed exactly what everyone on your team was playing and what vehicle they had. So unless I missed it, I didn't find this feature in Renegade X yet. It's possible to see who's playing engi/Tech with the extended scoreboard and at a purchase terminal you can see what vehicles are in play. Still, I miss the old overview that also showed how many snipers, PICs etc. there are on your team.

So has this already been implemented and did I miss it? Or is it simply not there yet?

Class icons? For 15 classes? I play TF2 and find it hard to read class icons. I can't imagine them being distinctive enough in Renegade X either.

To be honest, the game would benefit a lot from an "intelligence interface/menu". Overhead map (same as the radar but see all the map) and the ability to see everyone in your team, where they are, what class they use and what vehicles they have. All this information could be contained in the same intelligence screen.

Class icons? For 15 classes? I play TF2 and find it hard to read class icons. I can't imagine them being distinctive enough in Renegade X either.

To be honest, the game would benefit a lot from an "intelligence interface/menu". Overhead map (same as the radar but see all the map) and the ability to see everyone in your team, where they are, what class they use and what vehicles they have. All this information could be contained in the same intelligence screen.

You could simplify it with icons for "Snipers", icons for autorifles, icons for anti-armor, icons for occupied team vehicles and what they are.

If it were a map, even icons of marked enemies and their class.

Planetside2 has a class icon system, but they have 5 classes. The classes can be quite different depending on equipment, but as long as you know the general ordinance you have a summary.

The original renegade simply listed the names behind every player's name. It got the job done, but it was not always the easiest to get a quick overview. An alternative would be to just give the player a screen with a tally of all the classes, like:

Officer: 1,

Chem: 0,

SBH: 3,

Laser chaingunner: 2,

etc.

That way you can easily see what classes are currently lacking or if a class you want to play is already overcrowded.

It'd be great if there was an overall map. Spotting friendly vehicles would be easy

as it already is easy on the minimap due to their shapes. However for classes, I'd

propose the following.

Group whats possible, f.x. engies: techs/engies, snipers: marksman,500sniper, 1ksniper

machine gunners: soldier, officer, minigun users, mobius/mendoza(?)

anti-vehicle: grenadier/flame troop, rocketlauncher, gunner, sydney/Raveshaw

and so forth.

Now on the side of the overall map there'd be a colored list:

SBH: 3 (in red)

Snipers:2 (in green)

engies:5 (in blue)

etc.

Now the dots on the map for players would have a corresponding color

to their class.

Being able to access the overall map constantly feels too op for me. It's better

to have people communicating so having the option to only view the overall map

from the terminal would be balanced as far as I´m concerned.

It'd be great if there was an overall map. Spotting friendly vehicles would be easy

as it already is easy on the minimap due to their shapes. However for classes, I'd

propose the following.

Group whats possible, f.x. engies: techs/engies, snipers: marksman,500sniper, 1ksniper

machine gunners: soldier, officer, minigun users, mobius/mendoza(?)

anti-vehicle: grenadier/flame troop, rocketlauncher, gunner, sydney/Raveshaw

and so forth.

Now on the side of the overall map there'd be a colored list:

SBH: 3 (in red)

Snipers:2 (in green)

engies:5 (in blue)

etc.

Now the dots on the map for players would have a corresponding color

to their class.

Being able to access the overall map constantly feels too op for me. It's better

to have people communicating so having the option to only view the overall map

from the terminal would be balanced as far as I´m concerned.

These are all nice ideas. I disagree, though, that having constant access to the map would be OP: having access to information about your own team should never be considered OP, if you ask me. It just helps to cut down chatter to a minimum so that communication can focus on the actually important parts rather than "I'm class Y at position X" and such.

Especially for a pub-oriented game like Renegade, I think it's very important for everyone to have access to important team information, because let's face it: communication in pubs is always going to be quite limited. Having the right information can really help to pick up the slack there and make team play a lot more common.

I agree with vleessjuu. It isn't OP, it's just a lot quicker to know if for example someone's infiltrating at the moment, or if there's anyone countering the Arty siege. Usually when someone's infiltrating or in heavy action they can't afford to stand still and start typing. In my opinion this would greatly improve the gameplay and teamwork.

And it's a great way for players who are new to a certain map to see that map's layout.